Calories burned - remaining calories??

Options
Why does the "calories remaining" change when I add in an exercise - I know the formula is:

calories
+ calories burned
- caolories consumed
= calories remaining..

but why would I want to consume all the calories I just burned off? Why doesn't MFP just subtract the calories I consume? am I supposed to use up "calories remaining" by eating more than my original intake goal???

Replies

• carrotstick
    Options
    Why does the "calories remaining" change when I add in an exercise - I know the formula is:

calories
    + calories burned
    - caolories consumed
    = calories remaining..

but why would I want to consume all the calories I just burned off? Why doesn't MFP just subtract the calories I consume? am I supposed to use up "calories remaining" by eating more than my original intake goal???
  • VegasBaby
    VegasBaby Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes. Technically you probably already are limiting your calories. For example, my "total" if I don't exercise is 1200. So if I do exercise and burn 200 calories then I get to eat 1400 cals. Really I am still limiting myself to 1200 though, because I burned off 200 calories working out. I have heard if you don't "eat back" your exercise calories you can put yourself in starvation mode and then you will stop seeing progress. For me, it makes me exercise so that I can eat more! :) Hope that was understandable!!!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Please read this post!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?hl=eating+your+exercise+calories&page=1#posts-44830

It is adding your exercise calories because you NEED to consume these calories! Read on...

Also, do a search on 'eating exercise calories' and you will find hundreds of responses to this question that will help you.
  • carrotstick
    Options
    wow, awesome! Thank you!