Weight loss oddity... any insight?

Options
Ok, for the past week my fiance and I have been visiting his parents. I have essentially been eating what they eat, but I'm watching my portions. For example yesterday I had:

Breakfast- low-sugar oatmeal- 110cals

Lunch- 1 turkey sandwich with lettuce on a whole wheat thintini- 250cals
1 cup cookies and cream ice cream- 300 cals

Snack- 1 cup strawberries- 50 cals

Supper- 1/2 cup asian style spicy noodles - 200 cals
5 oz grilled salmon glazed with maple syrup - 300cals
6 asparagus tips, grilled on the barbeque- 12 cals

This totalled 1222 cals for the day. I didn't do any extra excerciseing or anything but when I do I eat a bit more. Anyway, I am not normally this indulgent! I tend to avoid sweets (ice cream) and the meat serving was much larger than usual. I got on the scale, today after not weighing since last saturday. Well I went from 183 to 180 in that short time... How is that possible? I have been steadily losing 1-2 pounds a week, but this week I was sure I'd gain! I have been dilligently staying within 100cals of my range (net cals- 1100-1300) but the foods I'm eating are so different and often not as healthy. Could these changes cause me to lose more weight or is my scale busted?

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Ok, for the past week my fiance and I have been visiting his parents. I have essentially been eating what they eat, but I'm watching my portions. For example yesterday I had:

Breakfast- low-sugar oatmeal- 110cals

Lunch- 1 turkey sandwich with lettuce on a whole wheat thintini- 250cals
    1 cup cookies and cream ice cream- 300 cals

Snack- 1 cup strawberries- 50 cals

Supper- 1/2 cup asian style spicy noodles - 200 cals
    5 oz grilled salmon glazed with maple syrup - 300cals
    6 asparagus tips, grilled on the barbeque- 12 cals

This totalled 1222 cals for the day. I didn't do any extra excerciseing or anything but when I do I eat a bit more. Anyway, I am not normally this indulgent! I tend to avoid sweets (ice cream) and the meat serving was much larger than usual. I got on the scale, today after not weighing since last saturday. Well I went from 183 to 180 in that short time... How is that possible? I have been steadily losing 1-2 pounds a week, but this week I was sure I'd gain! I have been dilligently staying within 100cals of my range (net cals- 1100-1300) but the foods I'm eating are so different and often not as healthy. Could these changes cause me to lose more weight or is my scale busted?
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the food you ate while visiting "confused" your body. It may be more used to getting healthier food, so it had to work harder to digest the treats and other "indulgences."

Maybe you did more physical activity than you thought...

I wouldn't look too much into it. Just be happy with the loss!!!
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    I agree, your body was probably confused and did have to work a little harder, but if you don't take the weight loss and run with it and go back to the good way of eating, it will come back and then some. Plus Traveling alone is a lot of calories to burn. Packing and unpacking, just general visiting and checking things out can burn extra calories that you didn't count on.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    sounds like you have found the beauty of the zig-zag!! you confused your body and it is compensating for the change in eating/schedule and possibly even lack of exercise....our bodies have a funny way to talking to us don't they?

anyway! Yea you!
  • paul82682
    paul82682 Posts: 48
    Options
    as long as your on your recommended allotment for the day, you're going to lose weight. exercise helps it along but as long as you're expending more than your taking in, that's going to cause the weight loss. and who knows, maybe all the different food jump started your metabolism. :smile:
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    had the same thing happen to me when i went home for a visit and didnt really eat as well as i usually do and certainly didnt keep track--i got home from vaca and had lost 4lbs

be happy not worried :happy:
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    this ALWAYS happens to me and i <3 it... i tend to eat the same foods most of the time and when i have a crazy night out with the girls (it usually ends with pizza or steak n shake at 3 A.M. mind you) i always get on the scale the next day dreading the number.... (i always give myself a pep talk.."okay if it's X, then that's okay.. you're expecting that" lol)

however, my weight usually stays the same or drops a bit because of the food i ate.

or, let's take last month for example... i went away for my sister's wedding, ate nonstop, and never exercised.... got home and lost 2 pounds? um what? i'm trying to maintain here; not lose anymore weight!!! haha weird right?

let's hope this happens when i go to vegas at the end of the month! :drinker: