Do men lose weight easier than women?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lady_G
    Lady_G Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It is true that men do lose weight quicker than women, although I don't know why this is.:smile:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Womens bodies are naturally made to have more fat on them than men :) Not to mention, i know it wouldn't show up on the scale as well, but they can build muscle much faster, so they are able to burn more existing having more muscle. Gotta hate em!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    less use of brain cells??? KIDDING!

HAH! My kinda girl!
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Women are built to have so much fat on their bodies due to the fact that we are built to carry children. We have a different make up so therefore it is different on how we lose weight. Sadly you class should be going by weight loss % like and not the amount lost. I know this is cheesy but I am currently watching the Biggest Loser and the team with all women is winning each week against the team with mainly men. The use weight and % to figure that out.

A lot of men can shed pounds easier, at first, but just remember not all and there are women that can drop pounds easier. The problem is we want to see the "big" numbers that guys make however we aren't built like them so stop comparing. The men that just drop drinking pop for a month still have to keep going and that one change will not be enough to keep that weight loss going. you are changing your life style.

Don't get me wrong I get frustrated when I see my fiancee has lost 11 pounds and I have only lost 7. I have been at this a little longer but I just know that in the end he will have a bigger number than me and that is fine.

Keep up the good work and you will see the results physically. Don't rely on the number on the scale, rely on how you feel and your clothes fit.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    A diet just like exercise needs to be shook up to keep the train moving along at a good pace, it can adapt to damn near anything given some time. a planned cheat day every few weeks will keep that train moving as much as you may not think it does, some say do it once a week, I do it when I feel I need it or I see the numbers (incl measurements) slow down. The scale does not tell the tale of how much fat you are losing, rather it tells you half the story. Look to the measurements as thats the true tale of what the body is doing. People get scale obsessed or as I call them sop's. These people only see the number on it and not what is really happening obsessing about it. Read my blog about meatbolic rate and boosting it, it works for both women and men. The successful weight loss needs to be an ever evolving workout routine and diet regimen, to strict will just land you in a plateau.
  • nikkionamission
    Options
    yep, my husband is one of those sickening guys...he puts a bit of weight on so goes running for a couple weeks and loses it all!

He doesn't get it's not as easy for me :noway:
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Listen...guys don't lose fat easier than girls. Muscles lose fat easier than no muscles or less muscles. You take a guy with a little girly frame like the one I have and you put me up against a chick who has some muscle mass, she is going to burn fat alot faster than me.

I am not at all slamming women here, so please don't take it as that, but my fiance is constantly mentioning how it isn't fair that I can lose weight so easily. I have to remind her that "easily" consists of eating mostly vegetables, nothing fried, no fatty meats, no candy or cakes, a reduced calories diet, and cardio almost every day and sometimes twice a day while she is adding sesame sticks to her salads and eating Burger King here and there. Her period rolls in and she eats chocolate. Her coworkers have a party, so she has a 'small' piece of pizza.

It has been my experience, just going off of the women that I have encountered, that poor food decisions are often justified as hormonal decisions, or as circumstantial necessity. It is also my experience, that often times some people overestimate how much they are working out and underestimate how much other people are working out. I am not saying that about anyone in here, just saying that I have experienced that.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    good post brian, I totally agree with it.
  • purplepeace
    Options
    Men have more muscle mass than women and muscle burns 10x more calories than fat. Their bodies are calorie-burning machines just on physiological make up. Thats why I don't think weight-loss competitions should ever be co-ed. It isnt fair. It's comparing apples and oranges. This doesnt even take into consideration hormonal differences and other things.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Men have more muscle mass than women and muscle burns 10x more calories than fat. Their bodies are calorie-burning machines just on physiological make up. Thats why I don't think weight-loss competitions should ever be co-ed. It isnt fair. It's comparing apples and oranges. This doesnt even take into consideration hormonal differences and other things.

Men naturally have a predisposition to have more muscles than women. Go to google and type in 'strong woman' and then look at the images. I can assure you that I do NOT have more muscle mass than 97 percent of those women.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Yea, men have more muscle than women -- but if you factor that into your daily metabolic rate then it doesn't really matter. My fiancee and I are both eating very similar diets, exercising, and maintaining an average of 500 calorie deficeit per day. She has lost more weight by percentage than me the last 3 weeks. A 500 calorie deficeit for a woman is no different than for a man. Even though a man might have a higher metabolic rate.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 lbs this week and my fiance lost 8lbs. He got to eat more calories and did less exercise than me. This was our first week on here so I will see what happens next weigh in.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    My husband can think about losing weight and lose 5 pounds.
  • MissMoxy08
    MissMoxy08 Posts: 32
    Options
    I've always suspected that. If you think about it historically, it makes sense. Men used to be the hunter/gatherer types. It was beneficial for them to be muscular. Women got pregnant and needed to nurture children, so some fat was beneficial. Of course, things are different now, but I bet our bodies are still thinking that way.

EDIT- of course I don't want to belittle all the guys here working out hard, and not losing much! Those are just my thoughts, and I don't think they apply to every guy.

You should probably do the contest by percentage of body fat, although total pounds lost seems easier to calculate. Congrats on your weight loss so far :)

This is actually pretty true. From what I remember from my Eating Disorders class and my Motivation and Emotion class, it is harder for women to lose weight because your body does strive to hold on to a certain percentage of fat so that you can get pregnant and reproduce. If a woman's percentage of fat falls below a certain number, she can not get pregnant -- which is why many supermodels have trouble with pregnancy. Men can still reproduce with only 3% of fat in their body, so their bodies don't strive to hold on to any fat.

Also it is easier for men to lose weight with exercise than it is for women. Unfortunately I don't remember enough to explain the details and such behind this. This statement just stuck in my head bc I was annoyed that dieting is the best way for a woman to lose weight (not to say that exercise doesn't help bc it does contribute alot). I'd rather run a decathalon than give up my junk food. :(