Undereating - Need Help

Options
Ok, I need some help. I do not have my diary public but I will share with you some information so you can pass along advice :) I have a max of 1300 calories per day.
In the morning for breakfast I usually keep to under 300 calories - combination of carb, protein,fruit. lunch is around 300-400 carb protein combo. snack is around 200. That leaves me around 500-600 at the end of my workday before dinner. At which time I go to the gym and burn about 500-600 calories doing cardio. When I get home from the gym, Dinner is usually about 500 calories. However, more often than not I am so sick and nauseous from working out that I cant even eat dinner. I am assuming its from not eating enough during the day. I do drink 2-3 liters of water per day as well as during and after my workouts. Should I eat more during the day? I am afraid if I do that and I end up not going to the gym, I will be short on calories for dinnertime. I need some advice. Should I add an extra 100 per meal? Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Could you have a quick snack about 30 mins before your workout - a cereal bar or a banana, say?
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Perhaps have a large mug of hot milky drink (and a slice of toast if you can) before bed. It will help you sleep and keeps your GI stable during the night so you are less likely to wake up hungry.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I always try to eat about 45 minutes to an hour before working out. Some of my favorites are yogurt and a banana, oranges and lean turkey, grapes and 1/2 cup of whole wheat cereal with low fat milk. Within 30 minutes of finishing I eat something small, usually a handful of nuts (Almonds are my fav, but I occasionally do Walnuts). I don't even worry about the calories since I know I need the fuel. Workouts with a bit off food are always stronger than those without.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat toast with natural pb, great snack before workin out. Shouldn't become sick after your workout then.
  • Influence2
    Options
    As stated above a quick snack before you go to the gym will help. Something light with a decent amount of carbs. I used to have the same problem, except I would get bad headaches.
  • AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    Options
    You need to eat those calories back from the gym. At least three quarters of them. So if you you know you're going to the gym, make sure to take some healthy snacks to work to eat. At school I take 2 nutrigrain waffles w/ 1tbsp natural pb on each side and slice half a banana on one side then put the other side on top. Sometimes I'll put 2.5 oz of low sodium deli turkey with hummus on an english muffin. You could also bring some hummus to eat w/ some veggies.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok, I need some help. I do not have my diary public but I will share with you some information so you can pass along advice :) I have a max of 1300 calories per day.
    In the morning for breakfast I usually keep to under 300 calories - combination of carb, protein,fruit. lunch is around 300-400 carb protein combo. snack is around 200. That leaves me around 500-600 at the end of my workday before dinner. At which time I go to the gym and burn about 500-600 calories doing cardio. When I get home from the gym, Dinner is usually about 500 calories. However, more often than not I am so sick and nauseous from working out that I cant even eat dinner. I am assuming its from not eating enough during the day. I do drink 2-3 liters of water per day as well as during and after my workouts. Should I eat more during the day? I am afraid if I do that and I end up not going to the gym, I will be short on calories for dinnertime. I need some advice. Should I add an extra 100 per meal? Thanks in advance for your help!

FYI 1300 is not a max, it is a goal, going over by 100 is just as good/bad as staying 100 under. Yes if you think you are going to go to the gym add either more to each meal/snack or add an additional snack.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You should almost definitely be eating more. From what you've written your DAILY SUMMARY probably looks like this (even when you DO eat dinner:

GOAL: 1300 FOOD:1400 - EXERCISE:500= NET 900

Your ideal goal (for the way MFP is set up) is to have your NET number match your GOAL number. This means on days that you exercise and burn off 500 calories, you should be eating about 1800 calories.

My best suggestion would be to plan your meals so as to hit about 1500 or 1600- if you do go to the gym, you only have to eat a handful of nuts or something to get in the realm of healthy calories, but if you don't want to do a full workout you can burn 2-300 calories in a shorter session and still hit your goal, and if you don't feel like working out at all you are over your goal, but are still running a small deficit for the day (calories burned in Daily Activity is usually between 1700-2000). Don't forget to schedule in days where you don't workout! Your body needs rest!

Good luck!
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    hmmm i think you are under eating .. when i work out having not eaten enough during the day i feel awful after ...sick, headachey and no energy ... i think up your cals have some extra snacks and see how u get on !
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    u can try 2 drink some chocolate milk after ur workout (i use ovaltine) that way u're givin ur body somethin nutritous within 30min-1hr after workin out & it's givin u extra calories. :flowerforyou:
  • Rzimmermano
    Options
    I'm in the process of taking a nutrition class right now through Life Time Fitness. We are right in the middle of what to eat, when to eat and so on. It sounds like you and I have the same amount of calories which might make this easy. I normally eat around 400 calories for breakfast, Greek yogurt, berries, 2 eggs and a cup of coffee. Little to no carbs in the am. One mid morning snack, around 200 calories (more protein, good fats, good carbs) Lunch should be your largest meal of the day, it should consit of 4 oz meat, brown rice or any other type of healthy carbs and lots of veggies. Another snack, protein with good fats (like raw almonds and Greek yogurt), wait 90 minutes before working out, then you should feel good for your workout. Also, another helpful tip, MAKE SURE and get a protein shake or a smoothie with protein after your workout (within 15-20 minutes). This will help your tummy, and will help you want to eat dinner. For dinner, simple veggies with 4 oz of meat.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. It sounds to me like you are not getting enough food in during the day, and this might make you gain weight if your not careful. So eat up girl!

R.