Never good enough?

Options
I used to say "I can't wait until I lose 10lbs, or 15lbs, 20lbs" Now that I've done it, it just doesn't seem like it's anything, certainly not a victory. Anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Agree!! My big thing was losing 20 and getting under 200. Now it seems like no big deal cause I'm currently not losing anything else, so I've been sitting on 23 pounds lost FOREVER!!!!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I used to, until I stopped focusing on a number. It sounds like you are letting your weight define you. Your goal weight below is 'happy'. Not sure what that means?

Maybe instead of focusing so much on a number, you need a different goal. A dress you bought one size down. An old pair of jeans. Your high school prom dress. Running a race. A new PR in a race.

Just something that isn't a number on the scale. I know this is a hard shift in thinking, but it really sounds and looks like your happiness is dependent on your outward appearance. YOU are better than that, and you know it! ;)
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I feel that way too! It's hard to tell myself that a loss is a loss... I get frustrated when I see 1 lb on the scale/week... I know it's healthier to lose it slowly but I am impatient and can't wait to lose it all!!! Plus, when you have a lot to lose, like myself, it's hard not to look at it like "ugh! I still have 70lbs to go!" I just try not to dwell on it! I have to talk myself into being okay with it! Best of luck to you!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I feel this way a bit...when you look at yourself in the mirror everyday it's hard to see the differences. I feel the differences in my clothes, though! But, for me anyways, this week was an eye opener. We had some professional pictures done and when I viewed them it took me a few seconds to recognize that momma with her family--that was me--and I looked thin. Well, thinner than I had before!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's because you're there that you feel you have nothing to work towards now? Well you have! You have to work towards maintaining that goal!!!:flowerforyou:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    It's tough not to let yourself get wrapped up in that mindset. You have to shift your perception back to a place of excitement.

Imagine, for a moment, that you're back to 20-lbs.-heavier-you. It's the beginning of January and you're feeling like you have just hit an absolute limit. How AMAZING would it have been to wake up at 213 lbs.? Can you feel those butterflies in your stomach? That quickening of your heartbeat? The slight watering of your eyes with total excitement?

Now, snap back to this very moment. YOU REALLY WEIGH 20 LBS. LESS! That's incredible and the only one responsible for that incredible success is YOU.

20 lbs. is an AMAZING loss in under two months. I'm REALLY proud of you. And not in the condescending, pat-on-the-head way. In the, "holy cow, this is a woman who is changing practically overnight and I'm in awe" way.

Perception is such a huge part of this shift. Good work! :)
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    fact is I hate being fat and I can't wait to be not fat, simple as that :)
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    Options
    McKayMachina said it best.... But as someone who DID lost twenty pounds and then gained it all back.. I can tell you that I'd much rather be in your shoes. It sucks being back here at the beginning. Although your accomplishment might feel small in the grand scheme of things, you've got to be noticing something. Maybe you think you're looking so hard for improvements that you're making them up, but you're not. You know you feel more energetic, and more healthy. The looseness in your jeans isn't just your imagination.. things ARE improving. You've already significantly decreased your risks for many obesity-related illnesses, and you're well on your way to being the size you've always wanted.
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know that the number doesn't mean anything. I totally preach that all the time (time to take my own advice, I guess.) It's just frustrating! I thought that when I lost 20lbs i'd be like WOOT-I lost 20lbs-I rock! And I'm just not.

@superwmn- I liked your blog. I know a lot of people who feel that way. Contrary to my siggy which says "happy" (only cuz I don't have a magic number in my head) I'm not one of them. I don't think i'll be any happier when I'm at my goal...I'll just be more stylish (since we all know plus size clothes consist of moo moos and elastic waist jeans-ick) and healthier! I'm pretty fabulous, even being fat! LOL I'm very sucessful, have an incredible career, and I have an amazing hubs and the only perfect kid in the world-lol! What more could a girl ask for? Other than being able to fit into nice clothes to wear to that amazing job, and being able to chase the little one (and future little ones) around without being winded! I don't want to be thin because I think it'll make people like me more or because I'll feel better about myself. :) I'm rambling. lol sorry!