Anyone else had/have this problem?

Options
Hi Everyone. I've been working out since end of November 3 days a week with a personal trainer. Since then I've gained 15lbs of lean muscle and lost 6 lbs of fat. In addition to weight training I do cardio on days I don't weight train (25 min run walk interval, 5 min warmup, 5 min cool down). I wear a heart rate monitor during cardio and I've been buring +/- 400 cals. I will admit my eating has not been as good as it should. I do however eat much better (poriton control too) than before I started this getting fit routine. Eating out has been limited to once per week, that is my weakness. (I will begin logging calories on Monday)

So far I've not lost one pound of weight, my clothes do not fit any better, they're actually tighter. About 2 years ago I lost weight (55lbs) by means of Weight Watchers, personal trainer, and cardio. The weight came off pretty easy. Within the last year to 1.5 yrs I've put on about 40lbs. The only thing different this time around is I was on a anti-depressent. I stared with Citalopram March 2010 but noticed I was putting on weight so my Dr switched me to Prozac b/c it's suppose to help suppress appetite. Today is a week since I've been off the Prozac.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? I plan to wait 2 more weeks, if I don't start to see changes I'm going to see my Dr about getting a metabolic panel done. It's very discouraging to work so hard and not see results.

Thanks!
Ashley

Replies

• ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It really doesnt matter how much exercise you do if you eat more calories than you use. I have messed about for the last 3 years with WW, slimming pills and not really stuck to it or lost weight. You have to log everything you eat, and have a calorie deficit to lose weight. You are doing well with the exercise so keep at it, but make sure you log your calories. Save some exercise ones for your night out.

Good luck
  • purplepeace
    Options
    One of the reasons many people on psychotropic meds do not take them as prescribed is because of side effects that often include weight gain. When I was a teen, I was on them, and I BLEW UP! It just made everything even worse. You should speak to your doctor abt the side effect and ask if there are other meds or a different dosage that would work just as well, with less weight gain side effects. I now work with MI clients and encourage them not to stop taking their meds, but to find other ways to adjust via diet and exercise.
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I COMPLETELY understand your frustration. My first 14 lbs came off fairly easily, but I've been plateaud now for about 3 weeks. I have been doing the same things and fighting the good fight just as I was before. I am on an antidepressant and 2 mood stabilizers, but my doctor told me that these drugs in particular do NOT cause weight gain. However, everything I've read says the opposite. I intend to ask for different drugs my next trip in next month. BUT....

It still is about "Calories in/Calories out". The key is to work off more than you're eating. If you have not yet started logging, you could see a huge difference in what you thought you were doing and actually are. In efforts to try anything, I have recently upped my caloric intake which from what I understand should help me. I do see a LITTLE difference, but its only been 3 days. When you start logging, it will give you the exact number of calories that you should eat. Follow the plan and it will work. It may take a while, but it WILL work!! Best of luck and feel free to add me as a friend for more support:)
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I had to start excessive hormone therapy (within the last couple of years) and I too noticed weight gain because of medication (well, probably party due to medication). I've also seemed to have a harder time getting the weight off as quick as I could before too. Don't know if thats helpful at all in answer, just thought the medication + weight loss(or lack of), piece might be helpful.