Avocadoes????

Options
Hi everyone, I have been on this site for a full 2 weeks now and love it!! I am seeing progress in the way I feel, etc. I love avocadoes! They are over 200calories, just for one serving of a whole one. I usually blend it with my protein shakes after a workout. I know I should be eating half of an avocado, however the other half spoils. I don't like to waste food. Any suggestions??? Thank you:love:

Replies

• forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Get one of those Green Bags. I found that the avacadoe that I had cut in half lasted over 4 days in the fridge in Green Bag.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    ..are delicious
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    cut it length ways and use half and keep the pit in the other half and wrap it up, it should be good for 2-3 days like that.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Store it with the pit inside!
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'd spritz the other half with a little lemon and keep it in a baggie til the next day. It's a good fat, but too much of a good thing... I love them, too, and treat myself to fresh guacamole once a week.
  • time2move
    time2move Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I eat half an avocado daily. If you cut it down the middle, from top to bottom, and twist, the seed will stay in one half. Wrap that half up tightly with saran wrap and put in the fridge. There's something about the seed that will keep it from turning really brown. I sometimes get a bit of brown, but not too bad.
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    leave the seed on the half you are not eating...
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    leave the stone in the left over half and put it in a zip lock it should be fine
  • helthymom6
    Options
    I have heard you can freeze avacados. i did it in ice cube trays for my youngest baby when she was around 1 and she started eating real foods. since you put in shakes it might work very well like taht. Hope this helps.
  • pamc13
    pamc13 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love them also. Because of the calories, I have started cutting a portion(leaving skin and seed in place) and wrapping the remainder in a baggie....make sure there is no air in baggie. I could certainly eat the entire fruit, but have realized how it adds up my calories. I'm new at this, but I have really found how fast the calories add up. It's making me accountable for my "mindless" eating habits. Still in training!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    :love:

I want some right now!

I leave the seed in and put it in a ziplock bag in the fridge and it stays good for a few days. I always try to plan my "avocado" meals close together to keep from having to throw any out.

And it helps that my little girl is starting to eat solid foods and she loves avocado (when she can get her hands on it, it is a little slippery).
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It doesn't spoil if you put lemon juice on it.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Second the lemon juice.

I saw this on Food Network - Alton Brown- Good Eats episode.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    cut it length ways and use half and keep the pit in the other half and wrap it up, it should be good for 2-3 days like that.

This is what I do. They fit into those "snack size" ziplock bags so do that, then suck the air out and you're good to go for a few days!
  • beautymkt
    beautymkt Posts: 60
    Options
    Wow!!! Thanks so much MFP friends....! I definitely know how to store the other half now and will continue to enjoy my avocadoes with my protein shakes at least twice a week! Have a great Friday!:flowerforyou:
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I share mine with my daughter usually. She LOVES it spoons it out plain(as do I sometimes). I started her on them when she was little and yes its fun to watch them chase them around the table/highchair. lol She's 7 now and still loves them.

If you leave the pit/nut thing in it helps too. A friend told me that.
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Ziplock makes vaccume bags . The *kit* comes with bags and a hand pump... Put your avocado or whatever in a small quart size(may have smaller bags , don't know) bag... Seal, pump air out ... Things last for quite a while. These are freezer bags , inexpensive , and I buy them at Walmart...
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    Eat it!