how many pounds to lose in an inch of fat off my hips?

Options
I need women within 30 pounds of their ideal weight to respond please.

New concept to me judging by wait hip ratio. Sooo, I need to lose 8 inches off of my hips. Looking for a ball park figure, obviously we're not all alike in makeup & chemistry. How long did it take you to lose those inches off of your hips. I'm curious if when I lose my final 15.5 pounds will be enough?

http://www.everydayhealth.com/what-is-your-body-telling-you.aspx?xid=nl_LosingItWithJillianMichaels_20110304

Replies

• crystal9999
    crystal9999 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Kind of hard to say. Just because you lose weight, it doesn't mean that you will lose in that area. I know this doesn't help much, sorry.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I agree, weight doesn't come off evenly and it really depends on your bone structure. If you have wide-set hips, you could be thin as a rail and still have a higher hip measurement. Personally, I was at 44" hips when I weighed around 195. I'm now 150 and I have 36" hips. So it took 45+ pounds for me to lose 8" off my hips.
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    Yep... you can't spot-reduce fat. Hips/thighs are the hardest to lose, depending on your genetics and where you gain weight first.
  • littlelionesslove
    Options
    It basically takes me about 10 pounds to lose an inch off my hips.

*I used to lose weight much faster from the upper part of my body. Even now, my thighs remain the hardest to shrink. Eventually, though, it all evened out for the most part. So yeah, different body types...different weight loss areas.
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree...it took 10 pounds for me to lose an inch from my hips...I pear shaped...Very small waist and wider hips
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have to tell you that you most likely won't lose 8 inches off your hips with 15.5 pounds.The fat in that area is much more difficult to lose, partially because you're a woman and partially because some of it is going to be visceral fat, which is so incredibly difficult to lose.

But there are things you can do to help it along.

1) Ab workouts. Abs are the WORST workout I have ever encountered. I do 5 minutes of abs and feel like I'm going to die.

2) Core workouts. Abs do help tighten the core, but I'm also talking about planks and other exercises that require you to hold your ab muscles tight even when you're not working them as the primary muscle group.

3) Run. I also hate running. But it can help with that.

4) Get a hula hoop! I am a totally hooping nut. And think about it...hula hooping is done mostly around your waist and hips so you can count on losing inches from that area rather quickly. I suggest purchasing a good hoop and a dvd from hoopnotica. They have 4 levels so you can increase your level as needed.

Don't be disappointed if the inches don't come off with the pounds. If you continue to exercise through your maintenance phase, you will begin to see inches rather than pounds come off.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    I agree...it took 10 pounds for me to lose an inch from my hips...I pear shaped...Very small waist and wider hips

this is me too shanell...

the article is a new concept, I'm wondering what the heck Jillian is thinking? If I lost 45 pounds I'd weigh 115.5 & would be way under weight for my height and structure. well, 118-127 is the low between 5' 7 & 5'8" these calculators round our height...i'm 5. 7.5".... and in a healthy weight range right now but my waist hip ratio says i still need to lose 8 inches. I'm 43" hips and a 28" waist. ya, i'd say quite pearish. I look down at my legs and they gross me out because they are so dang big! I want to lose them!!!! still want curves but not that much!
  • littlelionesslove
    Options
    Maybe you could focus on toning rather than losing inches? I used to think that I HAD to lose a certain number of inches off my hips in order to be more proportionate to my waist/chest. The funny thing is...I lost inches from my waist/chest too and now I'm underweight with still slightly bigger hips in comparison to my chest. (At least, that's my opinion) Anywhooo...wishing you the best of luck.!
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's a hard question because you're right: EVERYONE IS SO DIFFERENT!!!
    Personally, I started with 45 inch hips & now they are 39 inches. So 41lbs lost = 6 inches off my hips. So for me it was an inch for roughly every 7 lbs. But, I also have wide-set hips. My hips bones are slightly sticking out now (not in a sickly way) & I doubt I'll lose any more from them, BUT I also lost 10 inches off my waist in the same amount of time, so it's really just your own body & how it works. Good luck reaching your goals :flowerforyou:
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You know, I focus on a certain body fat percentage. 30% body fat is overweight, and around 21% is fit. That's what I'm aiming for. I figure the ratios would even out properly for that, seeing as how you can't lose fat in specific places (dammit). So, for me, my size and weight are healthy, but I'm at 29% bf, so I'm looking to lose fat and keep muscle. I do wish that mfp was better equipped to assess those measures of health - the number on the scale doesn't always mean that much.
  • kyraholmes775
    kyraholmes775 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a long way from goal, but I've been doing a lot of research to help get me going the right direction. From what I have read and have been told, squats burn more calories per rep than any other non-weight lifting, non-cardio exercise out there. Not sure how true it is, but man I feel totally wiped after a leg day full of squats. Just mentioning it, because gaining muscle in that area may help burn those last few pounds quicker.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    In the 5 months I have been on MFP, I have lost 27lbs, 6" from my hips, 2.5" from my thighs and 4" from my waist. I attribute most of the inches lost to consistent, daily walking.

BTW, I started at 232lbs.

But really, it all depends on where your body wants to let go of the fat.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    how many pounds to lose in an inch of fat off my hips?

I would think the answer is "all of it"
    It may well be That Last Place you lose your inches
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no way to tell. Where you lose fat is determined by your genetics.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    For me, 1" for each stone off (14 pounds). My hips have gone down from 50" to 35" and I have lost 14.5 stone (202 pounds). I have also lately lost an inch whilst staying the same weight.
  • Puffingmuffin
    Puffingmuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    7-10 pounds for me to lose an inch off my hips. It's the 2nd most difficult body part for me, the 1st being my thighs. My hips are 35" which I think is just right for my 5"7 statue.