Need Thai restaurant suggestions

Options
My 7-year old daughter tried Thai food at school this week, and asked to go to a Thai restaurant tonight, which we agreed to do. Only now I'm realizing that I have no idea what I can order and stay within my calories. I'm also not a fan of very spicy food, so I'm hoping some of you here can recommend what I might order that meets these 2 criteria:

1. Under about 500 calories
2. Not too spicy

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. :)

Replies

• katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    BUMP! the only thing i can think of is soup! everything is made in coconut milk and peanuts
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    the thai places I have been to, ask you how spicy you like it.

I'm no expert, but maybe a chicken dish with veggies (not sure of the name) and comes with rice. the chicken is prob cooked in a lot of oil, but you could also ask this as well. or ask what the healthiest item on the menu is.

i know a lot of thai places bring a ton of white rice, i'd be careful with that too.

good question though, i'd like to see how others respond!
  • rhawkins26
    Options
    The fresh spring rolls (not fried) are relatively low in calories. They are wrapped in rice paper. Too bad it isn't Vietnamese and you could have Pho, which is super reasonable in terms of calories. Some restaurants have their menu posted, which might help to look at in advance and figure out what would be a good choice. And, if you like shrimp, they are pretty low in calories. Just steer clear of anything with coconut milk.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    The curries are usually pretty high in fat and calories but there are usually some dishes that aren't too bad. Pad thai is a noodle dish and you can have it with shrimp, or chicken or tofu, whatever your preference. If you say "mild" it's not too spicy usually.
    There is usually some veggie and meat stir fry or satay.
    maybe this will help:
    http://www.healthcastle.com/portionplan_thai.shtml
    I love thai food, I usually have pad thai and royal chicken (chicken with veggies and cashews). but I have to take half of it home, usually share with DH too.
  • jahoolie
    jahoolie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We go to Thai a couple times each month. It's one of the places where I can get a healthy, low calorie meal for a very good price. Most entrees will feed me twice so I get a real bang for my buck!

A small portion of rice noodles or brown rice will work in your calorie budget along with lots of healthy vegie dishes usually offered.

If you're off meat, try tofu. If not, stick to chicken.

If you're not sure of ingredient content, your waitress will help. One cup of coconut milk is about 450 calories but most single servings at the restaurant won't have an entire cup. Lots of dishes are made with broth instead of milk. Be careful about the soups; they are often made with coconut milk. Again, just check with your server.

With regard to spicy food, tell your waitress you prefer it mild. They will accommodate.

Good luck with your search and enjoy the meal!!
  • lilmisslanna
    lilmisslanna Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    THere is a really yummy salad that has chicken.. called Laarb Gai . low in calories.. and fresh veggies.. yum!!

or
    Crying Tiger
    Grilled New York steak strips tossed with chili pepper-lime vinaigrette, Thai basil, mint & cilantro. Served with tomatoes, cucumber & lettuce
    or green cabbage
  • Johnny760
    Johnny760 Posts: 30
    Options
    Grilled Chicken Sa-Tay - It's grilled chicken skewers normally served with peanut sauce.
    Chicken Tom Kha - Coconut Soup with Chicken and Veggies
    Thai Salad - Salad with Tofu, Hard Boiled egg but don't use too much peanut dressing.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My little thai place has a cucumber salad that i love and a chicken thigh dish that is delicious.It's boneless skinless thighs bbq in a light salty sauce. I don't eat the noodles or rice. My favorite dish is a chicken with bamboo shoots. remember what you can't control in ingredients you can control in portions. usually my dish makes 3-5 meals and i even take the left overs and re invent.

try reading this for more ideas
    http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/smart-choices/healthy-thai-food-options-00412000068390/
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    check to see if the restaurant has a web site and lists the nutritional info...then you can make the order decision before going!

4692665.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    We're eating here: http://www.malaithaicuisine.com/

The menu is online, but I don't see nutrition. Also, I love chicken & shrimp, but I usually don't order other meats for an entree.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Now we might go to another place instead (DH just suggested it), but this place has photos of all their menu items online, so that might help: http://www.littleduck.net/
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Pad see ew (veggie) or pad see ew with chicken.
  • d_smith85
    d_smith85 Posts: 94
    Options
    Pad Krapow, is what I usually get.. its pretty much a stir fry. I'm sure the chicken is cooked in oil, but its mostly veggies. Now I want thai food!! yum!
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    I ended up deciding to try shrimp Pad Thai and loved it. We shared Chicken Satay sticks for an appetizer, and in case I didn't like the Pad Thai, I ordered a shrimp & vegetable dish for my 3-yr. old that I thought I'd like too, if we had to trade or share.

And 1.5 chicken satay sticks, with 2.5 cups shrimp pad thai came up to just about 500 calories. I'm SO excited about this. :)