Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bigger ladies -- jean size help.

Ok, so this is going to be kind of a confusing question. First I'm gonna tell what is happening to me.

So, when I weighed around 265 i could wear a size 24 jeans. Then when I was 275 I had to go up to a size 26. And now at 286 I would fit into a size 28, which I can't find... so I've had to wear stretch pants the last year.

I was up to 300 lbs, but haven't noticed any change in pant (or clothing fit in general) fit in the 13 lbs I lost. I'm thinking I'm going to have to weigh less than I did before to fit in a size 24.

Like, I'd have to weigh 255 in order to fit into a size 24 instead of weighing 265 because I let myself get so big and my fat is so different than it was back at that weight.

Has that happened to any of you before? I mean I could be wrong, but if I put a size 24 on right now, I have a good 4 to 5 inches to lose before I can even come close to buttoning them, and I really don't see that happening in 20 lbs.

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    I think it's going to have a lot to do with the amount of muscle you have. Muscle is going to weigh more than fat, yet look smaller. So if you were 265, but had a lot of muscle, you'd be smaller than if you were 265 without as much muscle. Be sure to incorporate strength training into your routine and keep a record of your measurements. The strengthening will help you to drop inches in addition to pounds.
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Been there. At a 70 pound loss (309 currently), I feel comfortable in 26 dress pants in the morning, but am frustrated with the fact that by the end of the day they look like a baggy mess. I have 24s I can fit into, but only like wearing them with a slightly longer shirt.

As for jeans, I'm in the same boat.

I have noticed with shirts there are some 1Xs I can wear, which blows my mind.

Try not to concentrate on the sizes, but rather how you feel in them. You're doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Not quite sure to be honest.. but I remember reading a thread on here about pants and jeans are being made differently.. so what was a size 24 was is not really a 24 now.. hope that made sense.. maybe search some threads on here about that!
    Good luck.. keep going!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Yeah, I'm finding my sizes don't match what I remember. I don't know whether sizes have changed (it's been SO MANY YEARS since I lost weight) or my body has changed--it's certainly aged!

Don't get hung up on sizes. You know that you are losing and getting more fit. Perhaps you are also building some muscle, which would change the way things fit.

You might want to try someplace like Lane & Bryant or Torrid online. Lane & Bryant has jeans that are cut for your body shape--apple, pear, straight. They fit really well once you figure out your size. I have discovered that they run a little bit big, so if you are near the divider between sizes, choose the smaller size.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    I was in a 24 and I lost 20 lb and went down to an 18. :D
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    I can relate...when I weighed 225 a LONG time ago, I wore a size 13 in juniors...now I weigh 230 and I wear a size 18.

Having said that...things that help with inches is exercise...strength training...toning muscle will help drop inches!

4692665.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • thor9424
    thor9424 Posts: 40 Member
    In the last five years or so, clothing sizes have gotten smaller. The new size 0 has made everything else smaller. Really small women used to have to buy girls size to get that small in the 90's. Now with new fashion being emaciated, the clothes are all tight and small. Hope that helps!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    I weighed more than I do right now before I had kids, and I was in an 18. Now that I am 5lbs lighter and post 2 c-sections, I have flab and fat in different places and have to squeeze into most size 20s. I'm sure your body has changed since you have gained and lost weight, it's completely natural.

Every store, brand, and type of pant has a different size. You may fit into a 24 in one brand but a 22 in another or a 26 in another. Take several pairs in with you and buy what FITS you best, not what is the smallest size. It took me a long time to come to terms with this concept, and I now shop style, not size.
  • I've had something similar happen, but I think its due to changes in clothing sizes. A couple of years ago I got down to 163 and tried to get into some old jeans, but like you I needed to lose even more to fit into them, they were a size 14, the same size I currently wear. I currently weight 183 and my present day size 14 jeans are loose on me, they fit prefectly for about an hour and then they strech out, which is annoying. You didn't say how long ago you weighed that much nor if you were trying on clothes you kept in a smaller size, so this same factor could be playing a role.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Yes, my sizes jump around because as I am losing I lose in my legs and hips much faster than my huge belly so my pants are huge everywhere else and not is the stomach. I found that Lane Bryant has their pants sized for differently proportioned women. Try there. They are a little spendy but often put out coupons and they are good quality pants so they last longer. I have also heard that Fashion Bug (if you have one or if there is a website) has good clothes for bigger sizes. Also, keep motivated. This is a good motivation for you to keep pushing!! Glad you're here.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 776 Member
    Have you tried playing around on www.mybodygallery.com? You could do a search of your height and the size you want to fit in. Then click on the pictures that come up to see what the average weight is.
  • It's not just about how much you weigh you have consider you muscle tone. your working out so your going to get muscule. i mean if you weight 250 and fit into a size12 would you car how much the scale said. you just base it on your weight. keep doing what your doing and you will a difference. :happy:
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    I think everyone's fit is just different. At 225 pounds I was in a size 18 jeans. I have lost down to 180 and I am only in a 14. My top shrunk more than my bottom. I will be so excited when I can get into single digit size jeans. your body just loses and gains fat in different places in your body.
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    It has everything to do with body composition. I have these jeans that I bought when I was about 190 and they fit perfectly. I gained about 20 lbs back and then when I started excercising in my attempt to lose weight I lost about 10, so I'm at around 200 now, but those pants I bought at 190 are too loose now. It's because since I'm excercising I have more muscle, which weighs more than fat, and my shape is different as well. That's why you always hear people say that you should judge your progress by your measurements and how your clothes fit instead of what number you see on the scale.
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Thanks for all the responses guys. Just to clear it up, I'm talking about jeans I already own. I'm not gonna go even try to fit intobany new jeans until next year :(

Also, I know I need to do strength training but I cant afford a gym membership or home weights. The best I can do is lunges and stuff on my exercise ball.
  • lovenk
    lovenk Posts: 19
    I've been there too! Alot depends on the jeans, A size 28 in one brand may fit great but in another brand a 28 is too big / small. Try not to think about the size, just find some that feel good! Keep up the good work!
  • ymamyma
    Yeah, I'm finding my sizes don't match what I remember. I don't know whether sizes have changed (it's been SO MANY YEARS since I lost weight) or my body has changed--it's certainly aged!

Don't get hung up on sizes. You know that you are losing and getting more fit. Perhaps you are also building some muscle, which would change the way things fit.

You might want to try someplace like Lane & Bryant or Torrid online. Lane & Bryant has jeans that are cut for your body shape--apple, pear, straight. They fit really well once you figure out your size. I have discovered that they run a little bit big, so if you are near the divider between sizes, choose the smaller size.

I'm also a fan of Catherine's and Dress Barn. :smile:
  • ymamyma
    Thanks for all the responses guys. Just to clear it up, I'm talking about jeans I already own. I'm not gonna go even try to fit intobany new jeans until next year :(

Also, I know I need to do strength training but I cant afford a gym membership or home weights. The best I can do is lunges and stuff on my exercise ball.

Have you considered trying bands, too? I have some and looove them!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member

Every store, brand, and type of pant has a different size. You may fit into a 24 in one brand but a 22 in another or a 26 in another. Take several pairs in with you and buy what FITS you best, not what is the smallest size. It took me a long time to come to terms with this concept, and I now shop style, not size.

Exactly what I do! I went shopping the other day and was able to fit into size 16 pants- Yay! The next day I decided to try on some jeans- brought in 4 pairs of 16's and none of them fit, not even the stretchy ones. One of them I had this huge muffin top- eww... So size 18 is where I'm at in jeans.

It has to do a lot with where all the fat is now, compared to where it used to be. Before I had kids I was walking pretty in a size 16. Here I am 3 kids later and 2 c-sections later..my flab is everywhere else. I'm not even with my rolls.
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    I bought a size 16 in brown. Went to another outlet of the same store and bought 16 in black without trying them on since the brown ones fit. They are tight. Same chain, same brand, same cut...go figure!