Do you have a cheat night?

seniorfaye
seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Friday nights have always been our eat out night. I love the way MFP gives extra calories for working out. It makes me be able to cheat and get the fried catfish fillets. I still try and eat rather healthy. The baked potato without butter, no hushpuppies, ketsup instead of tartar sauce. That's the only night I have fried fish and its something I really look forward to. I even did my walking DVD for 60 minutes so I could enjoy my splurge. I love this concept of dieting. I've lost a total of 11 lbs. ,4 before I started on here. And that has just been since Jan 24 so I know its working. I'm losing as fast as I want to.

Replies

• Mommy2JLS
    Mommy2JLS Posts: 15
    Yes, the exercise group I am with actually encourages a cheat day. They say it boosts your metabolism for the next week (that doesn't mean eating McDonalds 3 meals a day or anything LOL). Last night I had homemade pizza and allowed myself 3 slices instead of my usual 1. That to me is what I consider a "cheat". I don't cheat at resturants or anything that would have HUGE fat and calorie meals (that's just my opinion of course).
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    I have a cheat life! If I want something I add more exercise so I can have it. And I agree with ^, I don't cheat at restaurants. :drinker:
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    I don't have a scheduled "cheat night", but I usually eat out (burgers, pizza, fries, tacos) and drink a fair amount of beer on Friday and Saturday nights.

I'm not perfect, but I workout 6 days a week and eat healthy Sunday-Friday afternoon. I'm not going to keep myself from having a good time on the weekends. If some people have better control than me, then more power to you!
  • tlc246
    tlc246 Posts: 2 Member
    I totally have a cheat night. It's usually Friday night. ( I frankly thought I was the only one). I allow myself to have something greasy. I'm still concious of my caloric intake though. I must admit I do have a weekness for Popeyes - horrible I know, but I try to go for the least caloric item and I definitely don't go there on a weekly basis. I switch it up.
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Saturdays are usually my free day so I dont worry about counting calories or anything. I eat what I want. I still track my calories but I dont worry if I am over.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    OH MOST DEF, you have to give yourself a "cheat" item or "treat" Otherwise you deprive yourself and when you get it, you might go overboard. Sometimes I plan it, so I know to not go over to much on my calories and of course I work out. But my cheat is like a cheat meal, I don't cheat the whole day, like if I want a candy bar then I have one for the week and that is it, or if I'm craving a burger, I might eat half and that is it.
  • you never know what they are really cooking with in restaurants, even if it's healthy... the calories may be more than you think. you always have to watch. When i go out I asked for things to be cooked plain with no added butter or olive oil. Sometimes when you order sauteed veggies, they are covered in oil. You just gotta watch and always ask.

I usually allow myself a little bit of chocolate each week. It helps not to go overboard when you want to indulge.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    My cheat meals are not a set day or anything but rather when somebody else cooks for me or takes me out. It doesn't happen weekly or anything, but I still eat small portions of whatever it is. I do have some friends that are real sweet about watching what they cook if they are having me over. Now thats supportive :)
  • kmunis
    kmunis Posts: 48 Member
    I don't have a specified day, but if we get together with friends or my hubby decides to take me out to dinner, I don't agonize about it. I order what I want, get the sauce on the side, eat part of it and take the rest home for the kids or the hubby to finish. And maybe an extra glass of wine! Then I log it in and continue with my progress. Since its only 2 or 3 times a month, its not a hinderance to my overall goals.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    I don't, not for now anyway. Once I lose more weight, I will most likely allow myself something good (but not good for me) every now and then. For now, I don't want to sabotage any progress. Even when my family goes out to eat, I stick to the healthy stuff.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    I don't believe in cheat meals, sometimes I end up eating things I'd be better off skipping, it generally happens when I haven't planned out my meals in advance, so I get lazy and eat whatever I can find that's quick and easy. In my opinion the "cheat" has never been worth it. Of course healthy eating is a lifestyle so even when I eat the occasional garbage it won't do much damage...but I'd never intentionally plan to eat an unhealthy meal.
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Since we've always met friends on Friday nights for yrs. That's the reason we eat out on that night. I always record what I've eaten and come out fine with leaving off the mayo type condiments and the breads. I know eating in a restaurant it's harder to eat healthy, but sometimes It's nice to let someone else cook for you. And it is hard to find healthy foods there or at least where we live it is. I could order grilled chicken but it doesn't have much taste to it. The waitress told me that they just get the chicken out of the freezer and throw it on the grill. Just didn't sound good at all.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Oh definitely. It's not a set night or day, and it's usually not an entire day - just a meal, or a portion of the meal. On Friday nights sometimes I'll have a glass of wine and a little more indulgent dessert than normal. But, I generally try not to deprive myself during the week so that I don't feel such a strong urge to "cheat." I treat myself almost daily with little things within my calorie goal.
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    I definately have a Cheat Day...but...I still stick to eating healthy choices of food....i'm still grain free and bake my own grain/gluten free treats like banana nut breads/muffins/cakes, or chocolate chip cookies, carrot cake etc... all made from ground almonds.
    I have unlimited amounts of smoothies, fruits etc..
    During the week I aim to keep my (veggie) Carb intake at 50g and Sugar (any foods containing) intake at 30g..but of course when we workout we're aloud more.
This discussion has been closed.