Uh-Oh! Here we go again!

Options
OK, so every Friday is weigh in for me. My problem is that by Monday I've gained back the weight I work so hard to loose on during the week! So, I'm going no where and working too hard to get there! Now my boyfriend is talking about what kind of "treat meals" we'll have this weekend. He looks forward to it every week. (pizza in his sights for tomorrow). Not only that is against me, but I don't really get a chance to work out either because we spend the weekend together doing other things...shopping, visiting friends, drinking....
I don't want to be a party pooper, but I always fall into trouble with this!

Replies

• Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am having the exact same problem!
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I used to have a lot of trouble with this as well. The answer was I stopped dieting. Now I eat whatever I want. I've been doing this for a couple of years combined with changing my negative eating and exercise thoughts and habits. It is a program called "Am I Hungry?" where all foods fit. I've lost 67 pounds and four pants sizes in the past year. This way I don't over eat during special times (weekends, parties, etc) because I don't deprive myself of things I want every day. I focus on balance, variety, and moderation as well as trying to eat only when I am truely hungry rather then just when it sounds good, when I'm bored, when I am upset, etc.

I know how frustrating it can be to go back and forth. I wish you well on your journey.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    It may be time to giveup the treat meals on the weekends and try to work in some exercise. My BF and I do sword fighting on the weekends or go for long walks together if I need to get in some exercise.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Well, I still have pizza and chips and a beer now and then, but I limit it. Instead of eating 2-3 slices, have a half a slice and a small salad maybe? And drink 1 beer, then switch to water. Maybe you could ask him to share in some energetic type activities, going for a hike or biking or raquetball. That way you can be together, but still get a workout in.

I know that cheating all weekend completely eliminates my week's deficit. I can't do it and still lose weight. So I keep the party small and keep the exercise fun big :). I still have fun though!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Here are a few thoughts- is it possible that the extra food and sodium are actually to blame for the weight differences over the weekends? If 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat, that would have to be one heck of a weekend to ruin 5 days of good behavior. You could move your weigh in day to Wednesday to get a better reading (balancing weekdays with weekends).

If you truly are doing dammage on the weekends, try to make cooking a meal together at home a fun experience or wedge in some active fun like hiking, sports, walking someplace, etc. I have the same problem and usually I just have to get up and go run or go to the gym or what ever while the SO is sleeping before we start our fun weekend day.

Hope this helps.
    -Beth

edited for spelling error
  • valerian101
    valerian101 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You have to get your weekends under control, but you already know that! I suggest you have a quiet word with your boyfriend and see what you can work out together. Try diet coke instead of ordinary drinking, try to walk to places or include an activity in your weekend plans. I eat pizza - will be having some tomorrow but I limit myself to less than half a standard pizza and I choose thin crust. I have low calorie veggies to make up the bulk. You just need to think of ways to overcome the weekend difficulty. Losing weight and keeping it off means a lifestyle change. Wishing you well with the dieting,
    Valerie
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I began my journey in Dec 2010. I would have my cheat meals - once a week. Nothin' was really comin' off - cause my cheat meal was always fastfood, or orderin' in.

January I refocused on the past month of Dec, and I have eliminated all FASTfood, JUNKfood - even my Cheat meals..I was on mission to not to play the catch up game every week.

Now - I can say I'm only 10 lbs away to 130 lbs. My Goal Weight...which means I'm goin' to treat myself to a cheat meal...No, it's not goin' to be FASTfood, or JUNKfood...it's goin' to be a wise decision of somethin healthy...I don't think my stomach can handle any oils or grease. I'm thinkin' some Sushi :smile:

Now for pizza...try to get a chicken ceasar salad, maybe limit your Alcohol or get a calorie wise ones. Just do it in Moderation - and drink lots of water, to get rid of some of the Sodium...best of luck and have fun :happy:
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I've learned in the past year that is about changing your life, not dieting. This has helped me lose 73lbs before joining this site. The reality is, life includes special meals and we have to learn to eat. Something I have done when these meals come up is to drink a big glass of water before hand, sparkling/carbonated will fill you up even more. Make healthy choices at special meals - opt for more veggies and ask for half cheese on the pizza and a thin crust. Alternate alcoholic drinks with water (again sparkling) and something like vodka with slimline tonic limits some of the calories. If you can, sneak in some exercise early in the morning....and drag him out with you. Hopefully he's supportive of what you are trying to achieve and maybe he doesn't realise its being sabatoged! :flowerforyou:
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I spent the first 6 months on MFP at the exact weight every Monday morning due to the same issue.

Finally one day I realized that I would never attain the goal weight I wanted to by living this way. You have to want it more than you want pizza, beer, or other calorific items.

Since I have remained dedicated for all 7 days of the week I've lost about 50 pounds. The choice is all yours . . . .
  • RichB77
    RichB77 Posts: 88
    Options
    You don't have to cut out the treats and things, just need to keep them in proportion.
    I nearly fainted the first time i saw how much a Dominos (or other chains') delivery pizza was in calories- more than a days worth for me!!! :noway:
    Undoing all the good you've done in the week though must be pretty soul-destroying, but YOU have the control to ensure this is not the case.
    Go for a run, go to the gym, eat sparingly (but healthily) throughout the day to accomodate a treat later on, but losing focus "just because it's the weekend" was my major folly, and basically it's lack of willpower.
    You can do it, keep the focus, remain positive
    Take care

:drinker:
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yup. Same problem here.

I'm working a couple of possible solutions.

Weigh on Tuesday or Wednesdays instead of Fridays. You might get a more realistic, balanced idea of your weight loss or gain - sounds like you're going pretty steady at one weight but you're being fooled by the short-term fluctuations. Also, if you know you're going to have to weigh on Tuesday, you might be less prone to overindulging over the weekend, because you won't have time to work it off.

Exercise every day, even if it's just for a half an hour, even if you have to do jumping jacks in your living room or grab a jump rope. You don't have to set aside a full hour every day. Doing something is so much better than doing nothing, and the people who love you will totally understand that.

Anyone else have some strategies? Because I could use all the help I can get to make it through pizza and movie night tonight!
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I would recommend moving your weigh-in day. And find other "treats" or rewards that aren't food related.
    I weigh-in on Sunday mornings. I work Mon-Fri so I have my work week routine of packing healthy lunches and going to the gym after work. By weighing in on Sundays, I find that I stay on track Saturday too. If I met my goal on Sunday, I will relax a bit and maybe have one splurge meal....but not a whole day. And like other suggested, pizza is fine, just watch your portions. Have a slice and a salad. Or make pizza at home, so you have more control over the stats. I make pizza at home with little flat breads that I found at the store. They feel like a splurge and I get to eat the whole thing without the guilt!
    When Monday morning comes, my schedule resets as I go back to work and I'm mentally back on track again.
    Maybe something like this will work for you too...?

Also, find ways to reward yourself other than food. Save the money you would spend on treats and at the end of the month, go shopping. Or get your nails done or hair trimmed....or whatever kinds of things will make you feel good. Best of luck!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! These are some really helpful suggestions. I think I will try to do a little cardio when I get up...he usually sleep about an hour longer than me. Also, I think I should cut up some veggies to snack on during the day so my calories are limited until dinner. Then I will drink a fiber drink 20 minutes before dinner so I feel less hungry.
    A lot of you seem to think I should weigh in mid week, I think I'll try that to motivate me to be ahead of the game!
    Thanks again! ; P
  • barbmpac
    barbmpac Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Have you asked him for support? I agree with many of these posts, try to include him in your healthy choices and activities. This is about YOUR life. You are not a party pooper, just starting to take care of yourself. Believe in yourself and you are worth doing this ALL WEEKEND LONG! Good luck.
    Barb
  • phoppock
    phoppock Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We're making our own pizza now. Cutting the sodium in half or even more. And the pizza is so much yummier. You can even plan ahead and freeze the pizza before cooking. Making pizza can be a fun family event in itself. I've suffered the weekend thing for years. Now I skip the cheat meal and use recipes from "Now Eat This" -- most of the recipes are outstanding. Perrier with a twist of lime is also a nice alternative to a mixed drink.
  • porterbaby38
    porterbaby38 Posts: 1,401
    Options
    i know the feeling, my bf he likes to eat out alot and wants alot of very fattening foods. he loves his sweets too. i know it is very hard to lose weight. he won't support me what so ever and won't workout with me. i'm actually on this on my own, i've lost 66lbs. so far on my own, i still have 34lbs. to go and it's hard. seems like it's eatting out, but when he's not around i watch what i eat and i can get my workouts in, but it's hard for me to get some when he is around, but at home i can workout upstairs. being in a travel trailer it's hard when he is in here at night, that's why i go walking, i take our little dog with me. but i sure can't get him be there for me.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    @edithflesh: I think weighing on Sunday mornings is an absolutely FABULOUS idea! Missed it this week, but will definitely start weighing on Sunday mornings for a while. It totally blows the whole idea of splurging on the weekends out of the water. Thank you!!!!!
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    @edithflesh: I think weighing on Sunday mornings is an absolutely FABULOUS idea! Missed it this week, but will definitely start weighing on Sunday mornings for a while. It totally blows the whole idea of splurging on the weekends out of the water. Thank you!!!!!

I had to switch to Sunday mornings, when the temptations of going out on Saturday nights proved to sabotage me. I would have a couple cocktails, which lead to mindless snacking. Or worse...Taco Bell! Knowing that weigh-in is looming helps me keep things in check...because sometimes this weight loss stuff is just as much of a mental challenge as it is a physical one. I hope it goes great for you too!