Low calorie proteins?

Options
My trainer is telling me I need to be eating at least 120 grams of protein a day. Right now on 1200 calories a day I average 90 - 95 grams. Any ideas for the other 30 grams? I need low calorie food ideas to stay under my goal. I typically end the day 100 -220 calories under my goal, but is that enough to make up my missing protein?

Replies

• cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump!

im looking for some low cal whey protien

any mfps help
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    For low cal whey protein I have "100% gold standard whey" really easy to drink with water and 113 cals for a scoop of the chocolate flavour, 24g protein. For food ideas I'd say tuna, a can of that is usually about 30g protein and 120-140 cals. I like to have tuna mayo on jacket potato and maybe a bit of cheese on top :)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast lunch meat. 60 cals for 11g protein. The only bad thing is the sodium :(
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Oven roasted sliced turkey breast that you can buy in the meat section at the store is 6 slices for 45 calories... its like 10 grams of protein. so if you double it that is 20 grams of protein for 12 slices of meat.. its one of my favorite choices.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Turkey is pretty low cal and has lots of protein.

Do you eat your exercise calories?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast, greek yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, tuna.
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt isn't too bad, depends the kind but can have 14g of protein per serving
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    tuna! chicken breast. turkey breast. Whey protein powder (spend a little more $ and get a good quality one)
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Look for low calorie protein drinks. The one I'm using is called Fast Sports Nutrition - Diet Mix: Fitness Shake (22g protein, 130 kcal)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I love mixing my protein shakes in with almond milk. 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk is only about 18 calories. Protein powder depends on the brand you use, one scoop of mine is about 130 cals.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Egg Whites!! 30 cals per 6 g protein, and you can literally add them to anything

Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt-- 18-20 g/ cup

Non Fat Cottage Cheese-- 80 cals per 20g protein

Trader Joes Unfavored Soy Protein Powder-- 110 cals per 24 grams
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    For low cal whey protein I have "100% gold standard whey" really easy to drink with water and 113 cals for a scoop of the chocolate flavour, 24g protein. For food ideas I'd say tuna, a can of that is usually about 30g protein and 120-140 cals. I like to have tuna mayo on jacket potato and maybe a bit of cheese on top :)

Starkist makes a 'low sodium' tuna that I like to buy. 120 calories and 30g of protein for the can (4oz drained) I'll throw this on top of a salad.

Cottage cheese is good (I tried the fat free and it was entirely too salty for me). I also use Whey Protein Powder (Pure Protein: 130-140 calories and 23g 25g protein) and Protein Bars (also Pure Protein - have around 20g per - taste is ok).
  • LacieVanMetre
    Options
    Eat my exercise calories???
    I have never even heard of that before.
  • kilojoule
    kilojoule Posts: 74
    Options
    Edamame Soy Beans!!

Edamame Calories, Shelled

Per 1/2 cup:

•100-130 calories
    •9 g carbohydrate
    •8-11 g protein
    •3 g fat
    •4 g fiber
  • calivegangirl
    Options
    tofu is where i get most of my protein, and the calories are aprox. 60 for 3oz.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I second 0% fat greek yogurt, it has 18-20g protein (make sure you read the label to make sure though), it will definitely fit into your remaining 100-200 calories and you can either sweeten it (or get a flavored kind) or buy the plain kind and make it into a veggie dip.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Eat my exercise calories???
    I have never even heard of that before.

Depends how much you are working out, but in general most people eat half or all their work out calories back because MFP usually factor your deficit in to the calorie total they have given you. If you work out a lot you could end up 'under feeding' your body & not giving your muscles enough energy to use, this becomes counter productive. There are loads of threads on here regarding the 'science behind this.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Beans.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    bump!