HRM shows less calories burned than Elliptical?

Options
I just purchased a Polar FT7 Heart Rate Moniter. I used it last night for the first time and it shows that I burned 108 calories, however, my Elliptical says I burned 130? Way different. Which do I believe and use. I'd like to use the 130 however, I have a feeling it's going to be the 108. :-(

Anybody have the same issue?

Replies

• 3Heather24
    Options
    I *THINK* the machines, in general tend to be on the higher side. Go w/the HRM! :)
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Believe the HRM.
  • Marcellus_08
    Options
    I say try it one more time. Just to see if your HRM is being crazy:)
    Don't worry, either way its better than nothing:)

-Donna
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    HRM knows more about you the elliptical could be calibrated to a 180lb man, but since you don't know and your HRM has all your info and your HR, it is by far more accurate.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    machines tend to be higher than the HRM...i havent invested in one yet, so i still get mine off the machine...but i round down for the time being.
  • loria30
    loria30 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Your's is a lot closer than mine was. I usually get about 150 calories using the HRM for 30 mins on the eliptical. The machine says way over 200. I'd go with the lower one.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me, with the same HRM...I think there is a whole batch of defectice FT7s just waiting to ruin everyone's day.

On the real though, the posters in here are right. The HRM knows your stats. Stupid elliptical machines dont know anything.

As a poster said to me yesterday. Regardless of the actual calorie count, even if your HRM is lower, you are doing the same work, are working just as hard as before, so your weight loss shouldn't be affected by the change. It's just numbers.
  • MissAllison
    Options
    My HRM (Polar FT60) is generally lower than the elliptical as well. Often it's up to 50 cals lower on a 60min workout. I go with the HRM cals.
  • Brannyrocks
    Options
    I'd go with the hrm. I tend to use lower numbers for exercise and higher numbers for food intake.

The machines at the gym I use let you put your weight in, I tend to drop my weight down by 10 to 15 lbs that I put in the machine.
  • MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    I would go with the HRM...just make sure you entered all your personal info. correctly. I have the opposite....my HRM shows higher than my Elliptical...but my elliptical doesn't ask for a weight or any personal specifics...so I would guess it uses an pre-programmed weight of 150lbs...so that is where the difference is coming from.
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    Trust the HRM...the algorithms used to calculated your calorie burn according to your hear rate are quite good.
    I hope you entered all the values (weight, age etc.) correctly into the HRM otherwise it's as useless as the assumptions of the elliptical :wink:
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    HRM for sure! It was very discouraging the first time I used my HRM. I'd been steadily burning 300 calories for every 30 of jogging on the treadmill...well, my HRM said 220. Now, it's a challenge to burn as many as I can! Good luck
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My experience is the opposite. The machines show less than I'm actually burning (because I'm a 270-pound male).

But as others have said, the HRM is more accurate.