Getting into the Navy

Options
Hi all,

My name is Sarah. I am 22 years old and i am trying to get into the Navy. I am 212 lbs (was 217 before i started my fit pal). I am over the body fat percentage to get into the navy and that is the only thing holding my back. I want to lose weight so i can get in and start helping people. I am a pharmacy tech and i want to go further with that in my carreer. And the military has some of the best programs in the nation to do that at home and abroad. I am just looking for some friends who are in the same boat as me or who are in the military so i can get some positive feedback from people i am trying to be like. :) Post a reply and send me a friend request. I'd love to talk to you all

-Sarah

Replies

• WanderLaura
    WanderLaura Posts: 135
    Options
    Hey!! I was so excited to see your post! My husband is working on losing weight so he can join the Air Force! I have done SO much research about it and it sound so awesome! Let me know what your goals are and we can support each other! :)
  • sweetsav
    sweetsav Posts: 2
    Options
    hi there!

i am not trying to get into the military but my fiance is currently in the navy and he really pushed his best friend to lose the weight and join as well. i really believe you can make it and its really great that you have some driving force to get there. good luck on your journey and if you need any support i'll be here. :smile:
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    I was in the navy.. Long Long time ago!

But I would recommend talking to the recruiter. I know when I joined it was a delayed entry program (I had to wait to graduate) and they did PT training at least twice a week. I bet that would be benifical for you, to not only help you get into shape, but also prepare you as to what to expect in Boot Camp.
  • taraharms
    Options
    HEY! I am in the navy as a corpsman. It sucks because the Navy set the fitness standards higher, so a lot of people who got in, while still being a little over weight are suffering. I can tell you, I am pushing myself real hard. The base where I'm at has a fitness enhancement program (FEP) that helps people like me get into shape! It is really hard to cut back on the eating though, but the exercise is a lot of fun and makes me feel better about myself. The weight limit for my age is 152 I believe and I am at 173. I've lost like 3 pounds so at least I am getting somewhere. Don't ever let yourself get discouraged!!! You will get in and do really well I'm sure of it. I had a friend who lost 60 pounds to get in! Congrats on your current weight loss! Keep up the good work and good luck on getting into the Navy...HOORAH!!!!!
  • quanta
    quanta Posts: 28
    Options
    I am very proud of you for wanting to serve our great country! I know that you are focused on losing the weight to go to basic training, OCS, etc. But please do remember that you need to make a lifestyle change that will keep your weight down once you are in the service. I've seen too many people get put on probation for their weight gain while serving and get discharged if they can't get their weight back down within regs. Your weight also affects the way your uniform looks on you. Even if you have a uniform that "fits", it is not very forgiving and can make you look sloppy if you are too heavy. Just some things too keep in mind. I don't mean to be harsh, but I'm speaking from experience.
  • rightridgeway
    Options
    I was your age and in your same position when I joined the Army. Your goal is worthy and you will not regret doing whatever you have to do to get in. It was one of the best decisions I ever made! Stick with it, be good to yourself and know that it has a payoff. The Navy will give you every opportunity, especially in your career field. Thank you for wanting to serve. Remember that we are all behind you, don't give up!!
  • SivirSarah
    Options
    Oh wow you all are so great. I am happy to see that there is such a great community of miliatry people on here. And I posted that not even a half hour ago. I appricate all the advice. Any I can get. This is some thing I really want to do. I did speak with my recuiter and she said that my weight is the only thing holding me back from processing and doind all the pt tests. The thing is I do not look 212 lbs. Not at all. My recuciter looked at me like I was crazy when I told them that. I have been into sports my whole life so fortunatly the life style change won't be a huge deal. I know once I get there I can stay there. Thanks for all the support guys :) keep em coming
  • butterflyinamber78
    butterflyinamber78 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'd second talking to a recruiter. When I first set a goal to join the Army, I went to see a recruiter. Of course I was over both weight and tape at the time... Turns out they had a fitness program for people who wanted to join. I felt a bit odd at first, one of the only females and older with all those 18 year old males running circles around me. I still have those moments from time to time during PT, its not the easiest thing to be female in the services. A good recruiter wll be 110% behind you, even though any of the services are a bit rough to get into right now. If you find one that isn't, get another! You need your recruiter to be looking out for you when its time to sign, after all, trust me.