Earbuds for running - heavy sweater here!

Options
LBATL
LBATL Posts: 76 Member
I have a major problem. I cannot seem to find earbuds that will stay in my ear. The iPod type earbuds are too large and the inner ear earbuds slip out once I start sweating. I tried one brand of ear clips that stayed in my ears but ended up shorting them out with sweat in about 5 months. So here are my questions to all of you:

1. Which earbuds do you wear when you run? Are the sweatproof/resistant? Be specific with brands/styles if you can.

2. Is there any head gear you would suggest for catching sweat before it runs down into my ears? Do they make sweatbands anymore? Is that super geeky?

I love running but I have to have music and I hate messing with my buds the entire time I'm running. Help!

Replies

• iamanne
    iamanne Posts: 67
    Options
    I use Nike over the ear sport earphones. They stay on my ears and are made to be sweated on. Hope that helps. :)
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Me too! Interested in seeing responses!
  • toloseme
    toloseme Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've seen the sweatbands I just don't remember where. Most likely you would find them in a sporting goods store.

Sony *used* to make some really good water/sweat resistant headphones/earbuds. I haven't looked for them lately as I don't run. LOL
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I use Sony earbuds that came with 3 different sized cushions - $9.99 on sale at Zellers and they work and sound great. No problems and never fall out. They have been the ONLY earbuds I've ever used successfully for running. You can also try the Sony wrap arounds. Good luck!
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I use Sony that go over the ear. Yes, after about 6 months they short out, but I get them at about $12 so I dont mind replacing them. The sound quality is awesome too!!!
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    If you have a Walmart go to the sporting goods department, they have neck bands that look like a hanky kind of. they are full of obsorbing beads. You soak them in water and then place them in the refrigerater over night. Then when you are ready to go running you wrap one around the back of your neck and tie it in the front (not too tight) and then it will help to keep you cool while running. YOu will not sweat near as much. I use these when working out in the yard or when I am at a ballgame when it is really hot outside. they work great. They are a little geeky but I say who cares if you are comfortable.
  • jclayton228
    Options
    I purchased a pair of earbuds from zagg.com called ZaggSmartbuds a few months ago, and they work really well for me. I only recently started back to the gym, so I don't have a ton of experience with them while running, but the way you put them on really helps to keep them in place (check out the site to see what I mean).

Also, it appears that they just came out with earbuds that, according to them, "... are water-resistant, weatherproof earbuds ideal for active gadget lovers..." The ones that I bought aren't waterproof apparently, but these might be just what you're looking for.

Sorry if this sounds like a canned response from someone who works for them; I'm not an employee, just a satisfied consumer. :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I just bought these Zeal sport earphones. They are made for runners and cyclists. I have earbud issues too. Ipod ones kill my small ears, earbuds fall right out, the ones that go around my head don't fit my head.

The rubber things that go around the ear bud part on the Zeal sport earphones don't slip at all and they come with different sizes.

The sound quality is pretty amazing and they let you hear ambient sound, you know like cars and buses!
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I use behind-the-head bluetooth headphones that have foam ear pads that go over the ear (not in the ear). I sweat a lot as well. I like them because they are wireless and they don't go in my ears. I also really like the behind the head style since it's out of the way and I usually forgot they're on.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    For the iPhone I use Apple's more pricey inEar iBuds
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA850G/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0Ng&mco=MTM3NTAxNDc
    for the cheaper old iPod earbuds I had to use a clip on additions by GRIFFIN and iTRIP ..one is discontinued and neither fit the new design of the iPhone buds, anyway... in any case the ones in the link come with similar padding to make it fit my ear properly.

All the supplied earbuds I got with _any_ iPod/Phone were uncomfortable, fell out and/or didn't sound any good because of improper contact but the above solutions worked for me.
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My ears are just special. I have tried the standard Sony inner ear earbuds and they'll stay in my right ear but ALWAYS fall out of my left no matter what size bud I use (small, med, or large). I have the Sony PIIQs right now that clip onto the lobe and it still falls out of my left ear.

I'm going to look into some of the options everyone has posted. Thanks so much for the awesome suggestions!
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    I have the same problem...earbuds are too big and sweat in my ears! I spent an hour last Friday in Best Buy looking...didn't purchase because I don't want to be buying and returning. Can't wait to see the suggestions.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have Koss Path finder earbuds, they are fabulous.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My ears are just special. I have tried the standard Sony inner ear earbuds and they'll stay in my right ear but ALWAYS fall out of my left no matter what size bud I use (small, med, or large). I have the Sony PIIQs right now that clip onto the lobe and it still falls out of my left ear.

I'm going to look into some of the options everyone has posted. Thanks so much for the awesome suggestions!

I have the same problem, everything falls out of my right ear. With these Zeal earphones the customizable rubber things make it easy to wear different sizes in each ear. One ear gets a small one and the other gets a large.
  • mwkinney
    mwkinney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with the Bose IE2 earbuds.... Yes, theyre an investment, but well worth it.... The StayHear technology keeps them in my ear and keeps the sweat out. Best 100 bucks ever spent :)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    I use Sony earbuds that came with 3 different sized cushions - $9.99 on sale at Zellers and they work and sound great. No problems and never fall out. They have been the ONLY earbuds I've ever used successfully for running. You can also try the Sony wrap arounds. Good luck!
    Lies! I actually have the panasonic ones - not sony. And they are awesome. Inexpensive (so you don't have to worry about losing them or sweating in them) and decent enough sound quality. Not perfect but you get what you pay for. $9.99 for earbuds is pretty damn cheap!

EDIT - I have the very same problem as you - my ears are oddly shaped and the buds just do not stay in. But these panasonic ones are really good and don't hurt your ears after 5 mins like most of the others. Give them a try!

https://panasonic.ca/english/accessories/headsets/superlightweight/index.asp
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! NOW I KNOW I AM NOT A FREAK OF NATURE!
    I have purchased so many sets of earbuds...they never stay in.

Now I have panasonic ear buds, they wrap around your ear and go inside and guess what...they stay there! and the bonus is they are waterproof. I bought them at Future Shop, they were around $40, but totally worth it as they work!
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this one too! I need to find a new set that don't "slide" out of my ears everytime I'm running! :laugh:
  • meagalayne
    Options
    I'm bumping this one too! I need to find a new set that don't "slide" out of my ears everytime I'm running! :laugh:
    Try the panasonic ones! The $19.99 ones will not slide out - promise! And 20 bucks for a pair of earphones ain't bad :wink: