What are you training for?

Options
I restarted running on January 24. I had run for a few months in 2008 and other than that I have not run much in my life.

However, I do have several events lined up to keep me motivated:

5K - March 19
5K - April 16 (it's actually Part II of the first one, and is an effort to beat your time)
10K - May 7
10K - July 2

I probably won't train for much harder events after these (5K and 10K I'm guessing) until I get my body out of "obese" range which is at about 221 pounds (hopefully late September). But I eventually want to do a half -marathons, at least one marathon, and some mini-tri events.

What about you? What are you training for and when are your events?

Replies

• rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I started running in 2009 and only did 5ks (at 181 pounds). Then, in September of 2009 I started training for my first 1/2 marathon. The weight started melting off!! I have now completed 3 1/2 marathons. I'm training for the cincinatti flying pig this May and then I am hoping to continue my training for a full in December! Usually I stop running after the 1/2 and then I don't start back until the fall, but this year I am dedicated to continue the training! Good luck in all of your races!
  • oo3menace
    Options
    My buddy is trying to convince me to train with him for "Tough Mudder" coming to NJ in November...after I finish this round of p90x, I told him I'd let him know. I've never done anything like that and think it would be a pretty awesome challenge to complete.

For those who don't know what it is, here is a convenient link.

http://toughmudder.com/

It's a 12 mile obstacle course developed by British Special Forces...it just looks brutal and I'd love to have bragging rights for this thing!
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options

LIFE
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    For those who don't know what it is, here is a convenient link.

http://toughmudder.com/

It's a 12 mile obstacle course developed by British Special Forces...it just looks brutal and I'd love to have bragging rights for this thing!

We just found this today at work. At first look I was freaked, but the more I think about it I am pretty sure I am signing up for the one in SoCal. Seems cooler than a boring ol' half marathon, right?
  • Delboy1961
    Options
    Bristol 10k in May ....im halfway there as I can run 3k without stopping.Just need to lose a lot of weight so its easier to run
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The Super Spartan race in Phoenix next weekend! 8 miles + 15 obstacles through mud. Sounds similar to a toughmudder. Whoo hoo! When I first started on here and really got my butt in gear I trained for the Rock-n-roll 1/2 in Phoenix. Wish I had trained for it again this year, but just didn't.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I decided not to race this year..... :huh:

LOL but having said that by the time the season starts in late spring, I'll probably get itchy fingers and do a couple of race entries but nothing major just fun stuff. Maybe a little sprint tri in early summer and an Olympic distance in later summer. :ohwell:
  • tonykozak
    tonykozak Posts: 14
    Options
    i ran the vancouver sun-run last year, and had a great time. entered this year on april 17. am training to better my last years time.after this i am looking to start 1/2 marathons. i find it easier to focus and do really quality training with a goal in mind. good luck with yours....remember we can do whatever we put our mind to....
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Bristol 10k in May ....im halfway there as I can run 3k

LOL maths not your strong point then? :laugh: :wink: :tongue:

Good luck with the race.

Actually I should do Cardiff Half as it's on my doorstep. It would be rude not to... :ohwell:
  • oo3menace
    Options
    We just found this today at work. At first look I was freaked, but the more I think about it I am pretty sure I am signing up for the one in SoCal. Seems cooler than a boring ol' half marathon, right?
    I thought the same thing, it's pretty badass. My co-workers GF who is also a triathlete tackled this thing last year and he said it was insane. Should be interesting to say the least...
  • Moobiez
    Moobiez Posts: 14
    Options
    I have considered getting into some running at some point. But I recently got the bug in me that I would like to one day do some amateur boxing. I have a long way to go before I am anywhere near the condition I would need to be. But it is a goal and something that motivates me.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm training for LIFE. I'm tired of being the fat-funny kid and am ready to be the skinny funny kid, lol.

AND the Warrior Dash! Very similar to the Tough Mudder, but only a 5k as opposed to 13 miles!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have a marathon mid-May, but before that a couple tune up races. A 10 miler a week from tomorrow. And a 30K 2 weeks after that.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I'm training for LIFE.

My thoughts exactly.
  • fluffy831
    fluffy831 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    10k trail run in May. I did it last August and it kicked my butt!! I finished - took 90 minutes - huge elevation gain! So I want to try to shave some time off. May do a 5k trail run in April (not as hilly as the other). Just started jogging again the other week - I'm about 15 pounds heavier than last summer <<insert embarrassed emoticon>> so it's harder.
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Zombie Apocalypse
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options

LIFE

Good Answer!

Also Life for me first and foremost.
    But as for an event, I want to compete in a crossfit games event...and i want to do it next year.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Zombie Apocalypse

I lol'd hard...i think i know the reference there too...has many "groups" unsettled. :p
  • Delboy1961
    Options
    Bristol 10k in May ....im halfway there as I can run 3k

LOL maths not your strong point then? :laugh: :wink: :tongue:

Ha HA I meant 3 miles .......must eat more brain food