Sugar Consumption

Options
Question: I'm doing very well at staying under my goal of 1540 calories per day, but I almost always surpass my daily nutrition goals for sugar. The main culprit is fruit. After eating apples each day, I'm over my limit. So, does my sugar consumption matter in weight loss as long as total calories are below my resting calorie burn?

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Don't count the natural sugars. I minus them out from my sugar total. They count towards carbs. That would be fruit, vegetables and milk sugars.

I give myself - at the most - 30g of added sugar per day. I can usually keep the numbers below that.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Don't count natural sugars (fruit, sweet potatoes, squash, fat free plain dairy) in your sugar count-- as long as you are under cals, you are fine
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump...am curious about this!
  • klmmoore
    klmmoore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this too after eating a banana and it had 19g of sugar which put me over.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I pondered this too, and here's the conclusion I reached from experience and prior knowledge:
    fruit is healthy, it should not be cut out of the diet
    Sugar from fruit is low glycemic compared to refined sugars, so it's better for you. I eat fruit like crazy (2 pints of berries in a day? oh yes... it beats a bag of cookies) and still lost weight while actually trying to maintain. So, within reasonable limits, I'd say that it matters more the quality of sugars you put into your body than the quantity. If you stick to the math of (calories in) < (calories out) you should be fine.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I quit tracking sugar for that very reason..I knew i was not eating added sugar(candy, cake,soda) that sort of thing, yet i was always over because of the fruit, now i focus on fiber, sodium, carbs, protein and of course staying under my calories...and have been just fine! Good luck!!
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree....I don't count the natural sugars either.
    If I did I wouldn't be able to eat 2-3 pieces of fruit....that would be rediculous.