Persuasive essay topics?

Options
Karleyyy
Karleyyy Posts: 857
I need to write an essay for my class, but can't think of anything that interests me enough to write about. I need PERSUASIVE topics. As far as my interests go... I like anything about teen parents/pregnancy, parenting, breastfeeding, kids in general, crime/murder, abortion, etc.. Any ideas?

Replies

• rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Write a paper on the adoption/abortion debate. Persuade the reader that adoption is the wa to go!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    For or against supplying birth control at the high school.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    OOHH! Or, write one on how Congress wants to cut funding for planned parenthood and other family planning services, as well as funding for post-birth care, but those in favor of those cuts still condemn abortion. It's a very hypocritical thing to do: protect the fetus while it is in utero, but once it is born, take away funding to care for them. There's an article in the NY Times you could use as a resource.
  • james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    Talk about what effect shows like Teen Mom and Secret Life of an American Teenager on teen pregnancy. Do they increase teen pregnancy or decrease it.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Well, you just gave yourself a bunch of topics.. That's a start.

Really think for a few minutes about what really bothers you (the stronger you feel about it, the better your paper will be). Have you recently gotten into a heated debate with someone? Try to outline a few of those and see which comes most natural to you.

I'm trying to guide you rather than tell you, because you're the only one who knows what you feel strongest about.

Good luck!! -- Persuasive papers have always been my favorite.. I love being graded on how well I can convince! :)
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    Use yourself as the topic; the question being, 'does teen pregnancies have a negative impact on themselves and society or does it make them more determined to succeed and benefit society? '

As a young mum, you have plenty of experience and strong views on this.
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You are in Criminal Justice or something of the like, right? You could go with why plea bargains are good or bad (depending on opinion), death penalty, 3 strikes-you're out laws, a current topic would be on the Supreme Court ruling on the Westboro Baptist Church right to picket military funerals under the 1st Amendment.