great article on the myths surrounding weight lifting & wome

backinthenines
backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
http://www.stumptuous.com/lies-in-the-gym

If I would have got a dollar for every woman I heard say they "don't want to bulk, only tone"...

Replies

• kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Amen. I also wish I had a dollar for every woman I see doing 100 tricep kickback with a 3lb dumbbell trying to get firm arms. It'll NEVER happen that way.
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    will bookmark it to read tomorrow!
    I think it was you who was recommending the New Rules of Lifting for Women in a thread?
    I ordered it and am currently reading it - interesting stuff.
    I'm now looking forward to lifting heavier weights in my future :bigsmile:

thanks!
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Good article, but toning, firming and sculpting sounds so much better LOL! (guess I better ditch my 1, 2 and 3# dumbbells) I'll have to pick up my 5, 8, and 10 # gasp! ;)
  • backinthenines
    will bookmark it to read tomorrow!
    I think it was you who was recommending the New Rules of Lifting for Women in a thread?
    I ordered it and am currently reading it - interesting stuff.
    I'm now looking forward to lifting heavier weights in my future :bigsmile:

thanks!

You'll be amazed the fab bod you'll discover!! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Really good article, thanks!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Never heard the one about muscle "pushing out the fat." That one made me laugh. I have been guilty of using the "T" word...but no more!! It's now a dirty little 4 letter word.

Since I just read that article, I have to jump on my soapbox for a minute. Now, if everyone would just stop saying "you must be gaining muscle" when the scale doesn't move. It's my understanding that anything measurable happens over time (not over a week or 2), with an intense weight routine (not 15 mins w/ a 5# dumbell) and an EXCESS of the right calories. Yet a bunch of peope eat crap or are at a caloric deficit b/c they are trying to lose weight, the scale doesn't move, but they say they have gained muscle...seriously?

Have I gained muscle over the past 4 years? Sure!! But I know why the scale doesn't move...it's 'cause my diet was crap that week, I slacked on a workout, or had too much fun!! Not because I magically "gained" more muscle.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Never heard the one about muscle "pushing out the fat." That one made me laugh. I have been guilty of using the "T" word...but no more!! It's now a dirty little 4 letter word.

Since I just read that article, I have to jump on my soapbox for a minute. Now, if everyone would just stop saying "you must be gaining muscle" when the scale doesn't move. It's my understanding that anything measurable happens over time (not over a week or 2), with an intense weight routine (not 15 mins w/ a 5# dumbell) and an EXCESS of the right calories. Yet a bunch of peope eat crap or are at a caloric deficit b/c they are trying to lose weight, the scale doesn't move, but they say they have gained muscle...seriously?

Have I gained muscle over the past 4 years? Sure!! But I know why the scale doesn't move...it's 'cause my diet was crap that week, I slacked on a workout, had too much fun!! Not because I magically "gained" more muscle.

AMEN! thats right, you got to own it. to lose it. uhuh!
  • pj_writer
    I'm sure someone once told me that doing too much abdominals work would make your belly bigger (because of the muscles).
    Also that if you didn't do the exercises the 'right way' your muscles would stick out more instead of looking flat and make you look fatter O.o
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Really interesting article!
  • backinthenines

I sooooo agree with you and it drives me wild.

It's like the standard numpty answer EVERYTIME someone says they gained a couple of pounds... "ooohh it must be muscle don't worry!"

And this response often comes without reading the original post properly where someone might have mentioned that they only started exercising a week ago never mind lifting hard weights.

:explode:
  • elfward
    elfward Posts: 52 Member
    Bump - to read later!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Great article and so so true. I lift as heavy as I can manage and get a lot of weird looks from men and women. Sometime I can only do 4-6 reps but honestly that's where it's at! My father-in-law is a veteran of the gym and working out hard. He says anything over 6 reps becomes counterproductive. I, too, chuckle to myself when I see these women with the tiny weights... such a waste of time. If only they realized that these women they see on magazines/TV with super-fit lean bodies are on probably on really clean diets in addition to killing it at the gym to build the muscle they have. So if this is you... step away from the 3-lb weight and start pushing yourself! You will love the results!
  • Carissa83
    Carissa83 Posts: 33 Member
    Bump to read later :)
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Yep when I started with weights a few years ago I was sticking to the 5 pound weights.....if i was feeling extra crazy maybe 7.5 pounds. Now i'm up to 15 pound weights for my bicep curls and I am already noticing a difference in my arms! Now I try to lift as heavy as I can.
  • pj_writer
    I've been inspired by some of the stuff I've read on this forum about weight training for women.
    I've just ordered myself a set of adjustable dumbells so I can increase what I'm lifting.
    Yay!!
  • Page83
    Page83 Posts: 23
    ok im too lazy to read the whole thing but ive read enough, tomorrow im hitting my husbands weight bench.....watch me DIE lol.
  • pj_writer
    ok im too lazy to read the whole thing but ive read enough, tomorrow im hitting my husbands weight bench.....watch me DIE lol.

you go! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    (substitute dumbells for the beer glasses) :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.