5 hr energy?

Options
Anyone have any experience with 5 hr energy? I'm considering using it for the days I need to work out in the evenings. I get up way early and usually too tired to do anything come 7pm. Does it really give you a boost? Is it harmful (besides the caffeine)?

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I drink it from time to time. Good luck sleeping if you're taking it at night.
    You might want to stick to a pop or coffee....
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    my hubby drinks them when he has to drive 1000 miles round trip to pick up his daughter. He says they taste ok and its not like the shake feeling u can get from other things like this.
    I dont do caffeine anymore.. i already dont sleep as it is
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I love it because it doesn't make you feel jittery or crash hard like the energy drinks do. It has a weird taste but you get used to it after a while.
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    It didn't do anything for me except make me shaky....For me, once I start working out (even if I am tired) I get energy...I don't know if the same would go for you.
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i swear it doesnt help me at all lol...monster lo carb works wonders and its yum!!! highly recommended
  • Smithhart
    Smithhart Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I talked to my pharmacist about this and of all the energy enhancers available, 5 hour was the only one she would recommend. She said it had no sugar and was packed with vitamins.
  • mrsskurvy
    mrsskurvy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've tried the meltdowns. I only drink half the bottle before each workout and it give me TONS of energy. But you have to make sure to have food in your tummy other wise it might make you a bit nauseaous or jittery. It got me throught a really tough elliptical workout many times!! =)
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    my mom used to take stuff like that for her evening shifts, but then she wouldn't sleep that night. now she prefers to take a b-complex vitamin for energy like in the middle of the day. it seems to work for me, too, but that might be psychological on my part.
  • bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i like sugar free rockstars... but my new favorite thing is vitafusion b-12 gummy vitamins.. i take 2 in the morning and i have energy ALL day.. i think they're 5 calories for 2. and they're yum!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I admit I am an enerrgy drink junie
    I like sugar free rock star and monster
  • mrsskurvy
    Options
    ooh, yeah!! Rockstars are yummy!! I love the new Pink Rockstar they just cameout with...and it just 10 calories too I do believe!! =)
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    ooh, yeah!! Rockstars are yummy!! I love the new Pink Rockstar they just cameout with...and it just 10 calories too I do believe!! =)

WHAT??!!
    I haven't seen that one....I'll have to check it out
    I usually pick mine up at Target
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. I did buy a bottle of the 5 Hr Energy but was on the fence about whether or not to drink it. Maybe just partial and see what my reaction is. But definitely will also check out Rockstars... can you get those in the grocery or convenience store like the 5 Hr Energy?
  • mrsskurvy
    Options
    The pink Rockstars are pretty new, not sure where they sell them. I find them at the gas stations though! =) They taste like cherry 7-up! They come with a straw and are smaller cans but pretty filling and deff. give you energy!!
  • mrsskurvy
    Options
    You can find he Regular Rockstars at any grocery store or convenient store =)
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've used the 5 Hour energy to boost my energy when I ran a few 5-milers and 10K races. seemed to help and they never made me feel jumpy. Some of those other drinks scare me b/c of what they have in them, especially the calories! Yikes!
  • shelcof
    shelcof Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I drink them when I am working nightshift. They don't make me jittery at all. As a matter of fact, I can still go to sleep on them if I want to. It seems like they give me a boost for whatever I am doing, but if I'm not doing anything, I am still sleepy. They DEFINITELY give my work outs a boost though.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I used to drink those and also drank a lot of energy drinks. Until I found the pre-workout supplement called Jack3D. I love it! About 15 minutes after I drink it I feel tingly all over and it used to freak me out. It feels like bugs are crawling all over your skin and I can't stop scratching. BUT I found that if I start working out before the tingly hits then it actually feels kind of good. Kind of like an adrenaline rush. But the tingly only lasts a few minutes and then I feel like I can go and go (like the Energizer bunny ;-)