Newbie/WW Transplant...needs advice :)

Options
Hello Everyone! I could really use some advice. The only weight loss program I have done for the last 30+ years has been Weight Watchers. I quit yesterday and will now be using MFP and counting calories instead of points. I've read all the material for newbies on here and think I have a pretty good handle on how this works. Help me wrap my mind around this and see if I'm doing it right?

Here are my specifics:
Female
Sedentary
5'4"
I would like to lose 1 lb per week. I should also mention that I have a VERY slow metabolism (untreated Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) and it is very difficult for me to lose weight.

According to MFP, my daily calorie goal is 1350. My BMR is 1,476-1556. My BMI is 32.8.
Therefore my maintenance calories (BMRx1.2) would be 1771.2-1867.2. So, I'll go with 1800. 1800x7=12,600 cals per week.
12,600 - 3500=9100/7= 1300 cals/day. So, the 1350 is accurate.

NOW, I exercise 5-6 days per week. My exercise of choice is brisk (3.5-4 mph) walking. I do between 40 min-2 hours daily except for Sunday. This is where I get confused and unsure of myself. When I add my exercise min's/cals into MFP, my plan is to go by my "Net" calories shown on the home page and stay at about 1200 Net cals per day. Does that sound about right for my goal?
Also, on Weight Watchers, we got the "extra" 49 points (@ 2450 cals) per week. Would anyone recommend going over the 1200 net once a week just to mix it up a bit? Any other advice? I reeaaaally appreciate the help. All of this calorie stuff is new to me and while I've done my homework, I will take all the advice I can get!
LOVE this site and the tracker on here kick's WW's butt ;)

Replies

• khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think you've got it! MFP does figure out your daily needed calories without including exercise, so you can eat back your exercise calories and be "over" your original amount of calories, but still be losing the pound a week. If you're eating the same net every day, your body will eventually get used to it and burn calories even slower, so yes, "shock" your system once a week or so by eating more and keeping your body/metabolism guessing. Welcome, and good luck!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Here is what I advise (and other will have other suggestions)

I tell MFP that I want to lose 1lb per week and that I do absolutely no exercise and are completely sedentary.
    This of course is not true (see ticker below) and I walk/move at my job quite a bit. I feel this is pretty accurate.
    Then I eat back about 50-75% of the calories ...

For example... I have a Body Media Fit and it says on a sedentary day without exercise I burn 2550 ... so on those days I eat 1900-2000 but on days when I exercise I am closer to 3100 and on days when I run I am closer to 4000 ... so clearly I need to eat more.

Sounds simple... it is.... it has been working just fine for me so far and I also have a very slow metabolism!
    Also ... just like WW making friends and having support is crucial :)
  • MsPitt
    MsPitt Posts: 78
    Options
    Your plans sounds good to me. I'd suggest trying to net 1350 for a couple of weeks, to see how it feels, and then make adjustments. If I remember right, some WW foods have 0 points, however they do not have 0 calories. I'd give yourself the 150cal cushion for a couple weeks to see if it's a method you are comfortable maintaining.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    On MFP you can have your goodies once in a while too, just work them in. It is much easier to control a craving by having a little under controlled circumstances than denying yourself and binging on it later. If you know you are going to go out, or have some special occasion where there will be foods involved you can always get a good walk in before hand so you have the extra calorie cushion when you need it. Another tip, drink as much of your water as you can at least 3 hours before bed or you will be up and down all night!:drinker:

Good Luck!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone.
    I tell MFP that I want to lose 1lb per week and that I do absolutely no exercise and are completely sedentary.
    This of course is not true (see ticker below) and I walk/move at my job quite a bit. I feel this is pretty accurate.
    Then I eat back about 50-75% of the calories ...

Emmaleigh, that is exactly how my settings are...although I noticed that nothing changed in my data when I switched my exercise goals to "none". I guess I will start out doing the 1200 net calories on most days and bump up to 1350-1450 net on days when I exercise more. We'll see how it goes!