Shakes do not work for me

Options
Feeling desperate to lose and hearing great success from two friends who lost weight using Opti-Fast shakes, I decided to give meal replacement shakes a go. I replaced breakfast and lunch with the shakes, using skim milk. I had a normal evening meal. Well, I can tell you the first week I lost 3 pounds. Then the next two weeks I gained and today I am heavier than when I started My Fitness Pal. I also have been suffering with congestion, exhaustion, skin breakouts and overall I feel unwell. I love food and thought these shakes would be the answer. Not for me.

I am back to seeking a solution that includes eating normal foods. I will reread the posts on this site and a favorite book or two and do my grocery shopping later today.

Any suggestions from you successful losers out there?

Karen.

Replies

• curvylady
    curvylady Posts: 135
    Options
    Feeling desperate to lose and hearing great success from two friends who lost weight using Opti-Fast shakes, I decided to give meal replacement shakes a go. I replaced breakfast and lunch with the shakes, using skim milk. I had a normal evening meal. Well, I can tell you the first week I lost 3 pounds. Then the next two weeks I gained and today I am heavier than when I started My Fitness Pal. I also have been suffering with congestion, exhaustion, skin breakouts and overall I feel unwell. I love food and thought these shakes would be the answer. Not for me.

I am back to seeking a solution that includes eating normal foods. I will reread the posts on this site and a favorite book or two and do my grocery shopping later today.

Any suggestions from you successful losers out there?

Karen.
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options
    See if your library has a book called, "Thin People Don't Clean Their Plates" by Jill Fleming. It sounds like it is just what you are looking for. A very easy read! Good Luck!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    They don't work for me either, neither does low carb, vegetablesoup diet, egg diet, grapefruit diet.... Tried them all, lost weight on some and gained it all back with a lot of little friends comming along on top.
    What helps me is read the label carefully, the less processed the better and lean meats.I don't cut out foods ( because as soon as I do I will crave them), but I also look for lower cal/fat alternatives. If I crave pizza I'll eat a lean cousine one, for ice cream I will go with a low fat no sugar version, instead of fried chicken I'll have a grilled breast instead. I have low cal dressing in my fridge, I make salads in advance, have veggies already cleaned and portioned off in the fridge so when I get hungry I am prepared.I also have lean lunchmeat handy for quick fixes and some extra protein.
    I do sweatin to the oldies on dvd for my exercises( no excuses there) or I'll walk through the store/ mall for an hour or do garden work....I also have a pool so if it is too hot I go swimming. I count everything that I don't normally do as exercise, so if I mowe the lawn I'll count it since I put in my profile sedentary life style. I eat all my calories, regular and exercise, I can feel a big difference in my energie level and stamina. Hope that helps some
    To success:drinker:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think you will find mostly the same answer over and over on MFP. Most of us have tried the shakes, Atkins, Fat Free, Blah Blah Blah diets and have all had the same results, we either gained all the weight back (and then some), or it just didn't work.

It's all about, eating healthy, staying with in your calories, and exercising. No magic, just science.

Sorry, if there was something out there it would be on this site for sure! lol!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If it comes in a can or a box with directions on the side that says things like. Open packet #1, and Boil in milk with 2 tablespoons butter, Or 290 to 500 grams of sodium.
    Put it back, Back away from the box of processed! :wink: You are in the wrong isle of the grocery store. GET THEE TO THE FRESH FRUIT AND VEGGIES ISLE!!! :wink:
    Sounds to me that you are having a processed food alergy. :sick:
    You need to wash that out of you and you will be just fine. :drinker:
    TRUST ME! your friends that fasted on these silly shakes had better get used to the taste of them because the minute that they go back to eating "NORMALLY" they are going to gain back twice the weight that they lost. :ohwell:
    Your body just told you how it did not like it faster then theirs did, but TRUST ME! they WILL suffer for it.
    And by that time you will be healthier and happier and slimmer, so try not to be down just yet.
    Weight loss is a change of habit. FOR LIFE! Not a quick fix and quick fixes turn around and bite you in the butt! As you my dear have found out.
    Now, try for a week to eat a lot of fruit and veggies. Fresh, raw, cooked steamed boiled whatever suits you. IF you MUST put butter on it, limit the butter to 1/2 what you would normaly use.
    Make snacks that are measures out for each day.
    I am a firn beliver this is what God made sandwich bags for.
    Get rid of refined sugars and white flour from your house. Sub it with Honey/Stevia and Whole Wheat flour. Also read lables. Do not eat anything with the words CORN SYRUP in it. In fact for the 1st day try not to eat any foods other then Yogurt or Milk that you would NEED to read a lable for
    Start eating chicken/fish and pork. if you MUST eat red meat. eat 1/2 what you normally would.
    (DO NOT FRY ANYTHING! Bake, Broil, BUT NOT FRY!)
    Play a game with your food.
    Mine is called fill the plate and then 1/2 it. Or I call it Taxing my meal! :laugh:
    Where I fill my plate of bowl the way that I normally would and then devide it in 1/2 Remove that 1/2 from my plate and put it aside. (Easier at home then a resturant but that is what to go boxes are for.)
    Only eat 1/2 the 1/2 wait about 3 to 5 minutes spending that time talking with my man or whoever I am eating with.
    Then think about the other 1/2 of the food. Am I still hungry, Then I eat the other 1/2 If not, then I do not.
    At home it then goes in a food keeper and becomes leftovers.
    And DRINK YOUR WATER!!!!!!!
    Good luck dear I hope you feel better!
    :flowerforyou:
    --Diann...
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    PS! I did not say cut out your fav foods!
    Just eat a lot of FRESH Fruit and Veggies! If you fill up on grapes the craving for the....{insert fav food here.} goes away.
    --Diann...
  • curvylady
    curvylady Posts: 135
    Options
    Thank you all for your great responses....looking back I also see I drank about a 1/4 of the water I used to as well. I will follow you advice. BTW, my library does not have that book but I will keep my eyes open for it at the bookshops.

To a new beginning......

Karen.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I hear ya...I NEED foof..something to chew on
    Try to make healthy pics while keeping a special low cal treat every day so u don't feel deprive
    Log everything you eat in the food journal BEFORE you eat it

Good luck
    Kim
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Eat normal healthy food (stress on healthy)--eat it in moderation--cut back on fats/sodium/calories/exercise.

That's what I've been doing and it works!
  • lilprnss
    lilprnss Posts: 52
    Options
    As well as exercising and eating in moderation :wink: make sure that you are taking in your daily amount of fiber! I changed my breakfast to two english muffins that have 100 calories each and 8 grams of fiber.. The fiber really fills you up and will sustain you longer. So my 200 calories for breakfast is probably less than a shake .. and I felt really good about it :)

Best of luck to you!