8 glasses a day?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It is NOT 8 glasses a day! It is 8 CUPS a day. 1 CUP=8 ounces. A typical drinking glass is about 16 ounces so you are getting 2 cups of water.

Sorry for that. I meant 8 cups. I have rather large glasses. Two cups of water fits in my glass (I know, I actually brought the measuring cup in would you believe). So I have about 3 of those a day, sometimes I get to 4. It still seems like so much! I suppose my body is just getting use to it.

I am there with you. I rarely ever feel thirsty. I have to make myself drink the 8 cups a day.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    for the juice lovers... I hate sweeteners and that taste of anything not corn or cane sugars BUT have you tried adding water to your regular juice? I love 100% cranberry but I am up to 1/4 cran and 3/4 water. I started with mainly cran and a tiny bit of water and over time it changed. I also have found that by doing this i save tons of money :) Just food for thought
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    There are some really smart people on here!
    I drink at least 8 cups a day, which is 4 full glasses for me. I try do drink more though b/c i noticed it helps me loose weight.
    Plus it helps your insides work better. I will not ever have kidney stones if i can avoid them by drinking water!
  • Wwbradl
    Wwbradl Posts: 4
    Options
    I was taught during culinary and when I had my gastric bypass the body needs to be refilled with half your body weight in water each day. water is what washes out yucky stuff. plus it helps u not to hold on to water weight which can slow down your losing pounds on the scale.
    I drink above the recommended water needs , simply because I work in a kitchen and workout to burn 1000 cals a day 3x's a week.
    Yes other drink products have water in them but you would need to know what % is in them. but u know your body best..

before I had my surgery I never drank water.. i was a Mtn dew girl.. but when I was told that water is what is best to keep weight off me I down it now

I think you mean half your body weight IN OUNCES a day. If I drank half my body weight a day that would be over 13 gallons a day. I do agree with the half your body weight in ounces though. I don't drink as much water on the weekends and notice my weight is usually at least a couple pounds higher on Monday compare to Friday. As I drink my required water during the week though I quickly make it back to my Friday weight and continue to lose until Friday.
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I found if I put it in a spots bottle and carry it around I tend to sip it all day and have to keep filling it up. Which is equal to two glasses of water. So I get 8 very fast and helps to keep my hunger down. Also I found that Arizona Iced tea makes calorie free green tea with pomegranate flavoring so it helps with the taste when water gets old too.
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I average between 12-16 glasses of water a day. I keep one of those 1 liter Fiji bottles on my desk and just drink as I see fit.

Yes, I do have to get up to pee more often then I would like, but working in an office its nice to have a reason to get up from my desk every hour!!!
  • sacchariine
    Options
    I found if I put it in a spots bottle and carry it around I tend to sip it all day and have to keep filling it up. Which is equal to two glasses of water. So I get 8 very fast and helps to keep my hunger down. Also I found that Arizona Iced tea makes calorie free green tea with pomegranate flavoring so it helps with the taste when water gets old too.

No kidding! I ADORE arizona green tea, I thought it was a healthy alternative to pop. Then someone told me it wasn't as healthy as I thought. There's always a "they say." Who are THEY anyways? I heard this whole thing about water on tv. I think it was Oprah or the likes of her, and they had some renowned fitness trainer on the show who said the 8 cups wasn't necessary. Goes to show you why you shouldn't be listening to the idiot box.

Aside from water, I know this is a little off topic and I don't want to get into it too much, or maybe someone can create another topic? Can drinking green tea help you lose weight? I use to drink it, but brewing it was too much work and I just converted to plain water.
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have always been a big water drinker, but since starting MFP and also exercising, I can't seem to get enough. I drink 4-5 water bottles (16.9 fluid ounces) by lunch time most days. Most days now I have two down before I even leave for work! I have noticed I feel much better drinking water. I will say it took me a bit to get back into drinking this much water. I do have to "go" more and I often really just feel like having a soda instead. What I do to reward myself for getting 8 cups in every day is not drink anything else till I get all 8 cups in for the day. After that I can drink a diet soda or tea as the reward.

Everyone is different, hope you find your balance!

Matt
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    It is NOT 8 glasses a day! It is 8 CUPS a day. 1 CUP=8 ounces. A typical drinking glass is about 16 ounces so you are getting 2 cups of water.

If you are drinking 8 glasses (16oz serving) a day then your are drinking 1 gallon of water a day. Pretty impressive!

i definitely recommend measuring water into your favorite drinking glass using a measuring cup. i have two different sizes - my measuring cup showed me that one holds 12oz (1.5 cups) and the other holds 16oz (2 cups). so i don't have to drink more than 5 or 6 glasses of water each day to get to my 8-cup quotient.
  • sacchariine
    Options
    All very good advice, I agree that there are some very educated people on mfp! I read through everything (even checked snopes) and it really did help. I think I will continue with the 8 cups in that case! Who knows, maybe it'll be a breeze in time. Thanks for all the support, really appreciated it.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I drink 14-16 glasses each day. But water has always been my drink of choice, even as a child. I love it!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hello my friend! I definitely recommend it! You will fight in the beginning, but later it will become a habit and you will LONG for them,... sometimes I have even more than 8 a day!
    You will really like it after some time... You know how some people are used to eating while working on the PC? Now Im used to drinking water while Im on the PC!
    You can do it!
    PS: when I dont drink water I definitely weight more!