Low sodium foods?

Options
I'm trying to get through this plateau I've been experiencing and I've been reading that lowering my sodium intake would help. Can any suggest some favorite low sodium foods? THANKS!!

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Natural foods, anything not processed or prepackaged.... lean proteins, veggies, fruit, beans, etc. Read labels on things you do have to buy prepackaged and choose the lowest in sodium. Anything pre-seasoned or marinated will have loads of sodium in it.
  • Steen918
    Steen918 Posts: 9
    Options
    Buy beans in a bag rather than a can. Or if you eat canned beans, rinsing them really well with water first eliminates a lot of the sodium. Drink more water too!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It really does make a difference if you cook for yourself and use herbs and spices with no added salt. Last night's dinner is an example:

Wild and Whole Grain Brown Rice
    Farmer John - Ground Pork - Extra Lean (95%)
    Green Beans 1 cup

That was a LOT of food for me, but it was only 344 calories and just 37mg of sodium, and I loved it. I use Mrs Dash salt free seasoning and some cayenne pepper on the pork. No salt on anything.

I've been using Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice meals a lot because of the convenience factor, but the sodium in them is too much. I recently decided that instead of trying to eat up all the leftovers when I cook for myself I'll portion out serving sizes and freeze them - make my own frozen dinner options. The heck with the sodium!
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It really does make a difference if you cook for yourself and use herbs and spices with no added salt. Last night's dinner is an example:

Wild and Whole Grain Brown Rice
    Farmer John - Ground Pork - Extra Lean (95%)
    Green Beans 1 cup

That was a LOT of food for me, but it was only 344 calories and just 37mg of sodium, and I loved it. I use Mrs Dash salt free seasoning and some cayenne pepper on the pork. No salt on anything.

I've been using Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice meals a lot because of the convenience factor, but the sodium in them is too much. I recently decided that instead of trying to eat up all the leftovers when I cook for myself I'll portion out serving sizes and freeze them - make my own frozen dinner options. The heck with the sodium!

I like this idea of portioning out the serving sizes and making your own frozen dinners!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I like this idea of portioning out the serving sizes and making your own frozen dinners!

It's working well for me because I usually only have time to cook on the weekends. This way I can cook up a storm on the weekend, portion out and freeze leftovers, not have to eat the same meal over and over until it's gone or spoiled, and have quick healthy food options available to heat up and add veggies or salad to during the busy weekdays. But one of the big reasons I finally decided to do this was to get away from the high sodium levels in even the "healthy" frozen food options. I'm very sensitive to sodium.
  • alanhickens
    alanhickens Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't eat pre-packaged meals. Cook your own food..... lean meat, whole pulses etc etc.

Sodium is used in pre-packed stuff to preserve and (if they have any) add flavour...

The sodium makes you retain water....not good when trying to lose weight.