Sugar

Options
So, I am always over my sugar I am allowed (well, not always, but nearly every day!) and looking at it it's because of fruit!!! Bananas, apples, watermelons and what not. Now I know that fruit sugar is different and all... but, what do you suggest? Say it's ok because it's "healthy sugar" or eat less fruit (even though I don't eat a lot and I am only allowed 26 for sugar)?

Replies

• raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    So, I am always over my sugar I am allowed (well, not always, but nearly every day!) and looking at it it's because of fruit!!! Bananas, apples, watermelons and what not. Now I know that fruit sugar is different and all... but, what do you suggest? Say it's ok because it's "healthy sugar" or eat less fruit (even though I don't eat a lot and I am only allowed 26 for sugar)?

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's fine. I don't worry about it at all.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    yeah, fruit sugar doesn't count
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You are okay......I allow myself up to 45 grams of sugar and if it's coming from fruit you are good :smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Well, I would say yes, and no. Depends on a few factors.

Naturally occurring sugar is much better than refined sugar--without a doubt.

But, that doesn't mean you want to over indulge in fruit either. A few pieces a day is fine but I wouldn't sit down and eat a whole watermelon either.

And, canned fruits or processed fruits can be very heavy in sugar. Or have extra syrup added.

Some smoothies you might get from, say a mall food place, are absolutely horrible for you! Unbelievable calories and fat.

The key is moderation--everything in moderation. You need a rounded diet to be healthy--so as long you're not over indulging in fruit, you're probably ok. And, as long as you're eating it in it natural form, or making your own healthy smoothies, you're ok.

It is definitely better for you than candy!

Here's an article I found in a Brit paper that says it fairly simply--

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/article1344167.ece

THOUGH they say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, recent reports suggest otherwise.

Studies show that fructose, a natural sugar found in fruit, could be fuelling the obesity epidemic.

In tests, overweight people who were given doses of fructose were more likely to put weight around their stomachs than those given different types of sugars.

So should we ditch our five a day then?

The expert view

“Not at all," explains nutrition expert, Amanda Ursell. "Fructose is not bad for you in all forms."

“When fructose is inside fruit, it is perfectly healthy to consume in reasonable amounts.

“It is when fructose is extracted from fruits, or when it is used in high-fructose corn syrup, that it becomes more likely to increase your weight.

“The simple answer is to eat fruit in its natural form, not from juices or smoothies and to be label-savvy about corn syrup.”

Government guidelines recommend 5 pieces of fruit and vegetables a day, two of which should be fruit. In other countries, they recommend even higher amounts.

“The government guidelines are there for a reason,” continues Amanda. “Try to stick to having 2-3 pieces of fruit a day.

“If you go absolutely crazy and scoff ten apples a day, this may have some negative effects on your weight.

"Nutritionally, however, it would still be much better than munching away a packet of biscuits or crisps.

“There are also fruits that will have higher sugar content than others.

“Fruits which taste really sweet, like pineapple, papaya and mango will all be higher in sugar than other fruit. Plus, the riper the fruit, the higher the sugar content.

“Fruits like berries are much lower in sugar than more tropical fruits - the key is to have a variety.”
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Great info shorerider!

Regarding high amounts of fruit......My father-in-law once went on an all-you-can-eat fruit diet where he ate ONLY fruit and HUGE amounts of it......in one week he gained something like 5 kg! LOL...not a great idea.