What is a cup!!!!!

Options

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    buy set of measuring cups. The concept is really quite simple. Just pour the food you want to measure into the cup that is marked for that amount....1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, 1.0 cup, etc.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    What on earth is a tog?:embarassed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tog_(unit)

in simple terms, it's the measurements for duvets to determine their warmth...
  • kdrew11
    kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It's like togs and duvets!!!! but thats an entirely different rant

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I LURVE Rhodri Gilbert and the duvet rant...first time I saw it I laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out....lol

For our American friends...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmx1vMouUt8&feature=related
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    buy set of measuring cups. The concept is really quite simple. Just pour the food you want to measure into the cup that is marked for that amount....1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, 1.0 cup, etc.

I agree the concept is quite simple, but it's not how we measure in the UK... A country that deals in "cups" would no doubt be quite irritated if it suddenly had to start weighing everything using grams :flowerforyou:

Rhod rocks btw, but I suspect the US audience will need subtitles :tongue:
  • pumpkin11
    pumpkin11 Posts: 24
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Haha this has made me laugh! The confusion too when you threw the tog/duvet topic in the mix :laugh: :laugh: Halarious!! :tongue:
    Btw, who every said togs in Ireland is different, what is it? I'm Northern Ireland :))
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    Pre Duvet days in the UK/Scotland we called clothes 'togs'.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    In the UK, a metric cup is 250ml.

Unfortunately... an American cup isn't metric, its a smidge ovver 236 and a half ml - so you'll be under estimating

but that's OK, because the cheap *kitten* measuring cups I bought are actually 215 ml - so I'm over estimating.

However, to answer the specific example, If you find the "Onions - Raw" entry in the database, you'll find the pull down list for serving size contains 100g (irritatingly, not 1g) - just choose that, and if you've used 165 grams of onion use 1.65 as the number of servings
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    It's like togs and duvets!!!! but thats an entirely different rant

Just wait until you try to find swede in the database (there is some now but wasn't always)... and then people think you're some weird canibal boiling Swedish people...

It's called "rutabaga" over there apparently... :huh:

Roo-taa-bei-gaar... :huh: hmmm....
    Is that what that is? I was watching Winnie the Poo and Rabbit was complaining about someone stealing his Rutabagas, i couldn't figure out what he was on about. HAHAHAHA:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SpencerR
    SpencerR Posts: 37
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: buy some proper measuring cups.

Perhaps this guy lives in a metric country and they don't use cups
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    Cup=Muffet (Limmy's Show, BBC, Thurs 10pm or BBC iPlayer)
  • PoleBoy
    Options
    They don't mean "cups" (which is a slang word or a glass or coffee mug). They mean an actual cup (an amount). You can buy measuring cups at the store which are presized and come in 1/4 cups, 1/3 cups, 1/2 cups, and 1 cup. 1 cup= 8 ounces.
    Bear in mind that there are 1.04 American fluid ounces in a British fluid ounce, an American pint is 14 American fluid ounces, whereas a British pint is 20 British fluid ounces. Just to round things out, 4 British pints in 5 American pints, ditto for gallons.

The litre, on the other hand (and hence ml) is the same everywhere in the world (although the amount of calories in a litre of something will vary with the temperature.)
  • poshpenny
    poshpenny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ha ha - this thread has made me lol!! i shout at the mfp site all the time when cups come up! All the posts in reply have made it as clear as mud!! Suppose i'll just have to keep guessing if i can't find a poundstretcher!! Thanks all for making my morning! :laugh: :laugh:
  • PoleBoy
    Options
    Online conversion tools are great for occasional use, but the point of MFP is to be quick and easy to use, having to visit an online conversion site before inputting EVERYTHING is an additional hassle. A simple filter could just get rid of cups (or mls or fl oz etc)

A nice idea... but MFP, to remain flexible, doesn't actually care about what you put in for the units - so you have cup, cups, cps or liter, liter, l, ml
  • PoleBoy
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: buy some proper measuring cups.

Perhaps this guy lives in a metric country and they don't use cups

Britain is hardly metric, but we weigh most things, apart from liquids - our American cousins switched to using cups as a measure when they started going on long journeys carrying all their cooking equipment with them
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    Online conversion tools are great for occasional use, but the point of MFP is to be quick and easy to use, having to visit an online conversion site before inputting EVERYTHING is an additional hassle. A simple filter could just get rid of cups (or mls or fl oz etc)

A nice idea... but MFP, to remain flexible, doesn't actually care about what you put in for the units - so you have cup, cups, cps or liter, liter, l, ml

Sorry, I don't understand the point you're making? Surely you don't get more flexible than allowing users to screen out units of measurements irrelevant to them. They'll still be there on the database, but if cups are irrelevant to Brits and mls are irrelevant to Americans, it would be more user friendly to be able to "hide" them.
  • PoleBoy
    Options
    A simple filter could just get rid of cups (or mls or fl oz etc)

Sorry, I don't understand the point you're making? Surely you don't get more flexible than allowing users to screen out units of measurements irrelevant to them. They'll still be there on the database, but if cups are irrelevant to Brits and mls are irrelevant to Americans, it would be more user friendly to be able to "hide" them.

I absolutely agree a filter would be useful, (or even better if MFP converted everything to an internal weight and volume representation and showed it to you in your preference, as well as having an internal weight/volume conversion)

My point was that because the units are free text the filters are going to be clumsy - and ounces are a particular problem - they are a popular weight measure in the UK, but a volume measure in the US (In the UK he volume measure is called fluid ounces)
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    faithkins look up rhod gilbert on youtube, he does a wonderful sketch about buying a duvet
    I won't get it, I'm an aussie and we have doonas :laugh:

And your thongs are something COMPLETELY different than mine as well!!
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    A simple filter could just get rid of cups (or mls or fl oz etc)

I absolutely agree a filter would be useful, (or even better if MFP converted everything to an internal weight and volume representation and showed it to you in your preference, as well as having an internal weight/volume conversion)

My point was that because the units are free text the filters are going to be clumsy - and ounces are a particular problem - they are a popular weight measure in the UK, but a volume measure in the US (In the UK he volume measure is called fluid ounces)

Oh right, I'm with you now. That's why I hate ounces too.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have a Japanese measuring cup... Just to confuse matters!