Stopped smoking 72 hours ago.

Options
I'm feeling really good about this quit. I'm not eating any more than I ate before my quit. I think I'm really paranoid and may even be eating less right now. Has anyone else successfully stopped smoking and kept their weight off at the same time?

Replies

• JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Not yet but my quit date is on the calendar, 3/19 :) I am going to use Wellbutrine though to help. Will be curious to see the responses ;)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Before you go on medication, you might want to check out "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. Have you used Wellbutrin before? I took it for about 2 weeks one time and began throwing stuff. My husband, my son, and I all had that reaction to it.
  • raycole83
    raycole83 Posts: 28
    Options
    I quit while in Iraq this last deployment, at the same time though, I cut out ALL carbonated beverages (Dr. Pepper, RedBulls, Monsters, etc...) I actually dropped weight .
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    That's great raycole83. By the way, thank you for serving our country. We really do appreciate you so much!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    ... and for serving the coalition :)

The last time I quit I saw a hypnotherapist. I stopped smoking right after the session. Usually I'd quit by smoking until I went to bed then no longer smoking the next day.
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 10 months+ ago, and have lost 10 kgs net since then.

If you replace the urge to smoke with a healthy urge to exercise, it will happen.

Keep it up! Honestly, life is so much better without the ciggies. It gets better and better every day.
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    What was different this time is that I started to smoke a cigarette. I didn't even know it was my last one. For some reason it tasted horrible and I started coughing my head off. I didn't even want it. I put it out, tore it to shreds, and haven't wanted another one since. I know it's psychological. I absorbed some information from the book mentioned above that made me realize that no matter how much I've told myself I enjoy smoking, I don't. There are so many things I enjoy more and if I want to be around to enjoy them, I have to stop putting poison in my body.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i stopped over a year ago with those electric cigs, all good here and well done for quitting :)
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Before you go on medication, you might want to check out "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. Have you used Wellbutrin before? I took it for about 2 weeks one time and began throwing stuff. My husband, my son, and I all had that reaction to it.

Yeah, I used it several years ago and quit for 2 years. I only take the 100mg tabs, twice a day after week 1. Last time the only change I noticed was I became more determined. So hopefully it goes the same this time ;)
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "no matter how much I've told myself I enjoy smoking, I don't. There are so many things I enjoy more and if I want to be around to enjoy them, I have to stop putting poison in my body."

HOW TRUE. I need to quit smoking - I might check out that book you're talking about.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr's book is great... just started reading it myself and hope to finish it up this weekend. Quit day is Monday, 3/7.

I've quit twice before and didn't gain weight either time so I'm hoping this time will be the same since I'm living a way healthier lifestyle now.

Good luck.. we can do this!
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    I discovered a health benefit that I had no idea about. I haven't been sleeping much this week and I've worked long hours, yet I don't feel as exhausted as I used to. I think the poisons in the cigarettes might have been the actual reason I was so exhausted all the time.
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting everyone!! As someone who works with cancer patients every day, I am always so happy to hear when people quit smoking!! :happy:
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Options
    Congrats! :flowerforyou: My brother too read Allen Carr's book a few years back and has quit smoking for good. :happy:
  • Wakx
    Options
    BUMP

How is it going now?

To be smoke free, that is...

Hope you're still on it!
  • tdexter
    tdexter Posts: 15
    Options
    10 weeks and counting and down ~30 odd pounds. I think working out has been the difference for me. I want a smoke so I go walk, run, swim, just do something. I was never a big smoker but gave up so many times only to restart weeks later. The threat of having to take a high blood pressure tablet every day for the rest of my life kinda woke me up too :0)
  • Wakx
    Options
    10 weeks and counting and down ~30 odd pounds. I think working out has been the difference for me. I want a smoke so I go walk, run, swim, just do something. I was never a big smoker but gave up so many times only to restart weeks later. The threat of having to take a high blood pressure tablet every day for the rest of my life kinda woke me up too :0)

Now, here's a success story!

Agree that the exercise can make the critical difference.
    I too was told at one point that I'd be taking stomach acid suppressants the rest of my life.
  • Bockety
    Bockety Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear everyone's success stories! I read that book a few years ago and quit for about 8 months. But the whole time I was having dreams about cigarettes, actual dreams at night when I slept. Every day was a struggle and I finally fell off the wagon.

I have an appointment on Tuesday to talk to my doc about Chantix. I'm so sick of paying through the nose and having my clothes stink, but it's still not motivation enough to quit. Now I'm daydreaming about not having to deal with smoking any more!