does meal time of day/night matter?

Options
Does it really matter what time of day I eat? I am a teacher off for the summer. I am taking advantage of sleeping in late often. It is almost 12am and I just finished working out so now I'm starving! My calorie counter says I still have 700 for the day. Is it ok to eat this late? My hours are messed up soI will probabllybe up till 3am.

Replies

• ayrnelaine
    ayrnelaine Posts: 13
    Options
    Does it really matter what time of day I eat? I am a teacher off for the summer. I am taking advantage of sleeping in late often. It is almost 12am and I just finished working out so now I'm starving! My calorie counter says I still have 700 for the day. Is it ok to eat this late? My hours are messed up soI will probabllybe up till 3am.
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie no matter what time of the day it is eaten! i found that many ppl say not to eat late at night because it leads to late night munching... however, if you are hungry and you have calories... EAT!!! i, too, eat at crazy hours because i waitress on the weekends. it doesn't seem to mess with me at all. just make sure if you're eating dinner this late at night that you're snacking between lunch and now!
  • ayrnelaine
    Options
    thanks!!! I'm starving but didn't know if I would cancel out my workout. I am a night owl so I usually eat my meals at different hours.
  • BYEBYEBELLY
    Options
    Hello,
    I had a similar question here are the responses I got.
    Hope this helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12649-work-out-at-night-calorie-dilemma
  • ayrnelaine
    Options
    thanks for the information. It is helpful!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Try planning your day.

Set down when you first get up--or before you go to bed--and fill in your meals for the next day or that day. Then, plan your exercise, and fill that in, too.

That way, you'll have an idea of what you need to eat and when and won't be faced with eating so many calories later at night.
  • smillermom
    smillermom Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi! It is also not a great idea to eat just before bedtime. I was a habitual snacker at night and as I got older, I started to have problems with my digestive system. The doc told me to stop eating at least 3 hours before bedtime and I cannot tell you what a difference it made for me.