strength training challenge

Options
OK, so mostly this is a challenge for myself, but I thought some of you might also be guilty of neglecting part of your exercise.

I'm at the tail end of a large weight loss. And my doctor was asking about my exercise routine... I told him, and he said:

"that's really great, when are you fitting in your strength training?":blushing: "um....I'm not"

So, I've resolved to add 30 minutes of strength training 3xs a week for the next month. I started today. I'm using free weights and a stability ball, but resistance bands or just free weights would work. My goal is to graduate from 8 lb to 10 lb weights with my current routine by that time.

Anyone else want in?

Here's some great motivation: a pound of fat takes up the space of a grapefruit, and a pound of muscle the space of a small orange. Also, a pound of muscle burns calories even at rest, while a pound of fat...well, just sits there.

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    OK, so mostly this is a challenge for myself, but I thought some of you might also be guilty of neglecting part of your exercise.

I'm at the tail end of a large weight loss. And my doctor was asking about my exercise routine... I told him, and he said:

"that's really great, when are you fitting in your strength training?":blushing: "um....I'm not"

So, I've resolved to add 30 minutes of strength training 3xs a week for the next month. I started today. I'm using free weights and a stability ball, but resistance bands or just free weights would work. My goal is to graduate from 8 lb to 10 lb weights with my current routine by that time.

Anyone else want in?

Here's some great motivation: a pound of fat takes up the space of a grapefruit, and a pound of muscle the space of a small orange. Also, a pound of muscle burns calories even at rest, while a pound of fat...well, just sits there.
  • sherielf
    Options
    What a great Idea! I'm in.

I have not been able to get to our gym lately due to finishing my schooling part-time after work and I am going on a 4/5 plan at work starting in March 2008 so I need to 1) get some excercise other than cardio and 2) cut useless expenses. I have said that I will start working out at home but with this challenge I will start.

I will report on my workouts per week - is that what you want?

:smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    I'm just looking for some reporting and accountability for myself, so I figured others might like that as well. I'd just like to check in when I accomplish my workout (Mon, Wed, Fri for me).

And, for me, if I'm working out at home, I need some accountability or...the sofa gets me.
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not going to commit to 30 minutes each time but I will commit to 3x per week. Since I'm not really getting anything in at all right now I've got to work my way up to it! :) Hold me accountable, okay?!

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!! :flowerforyou:
    Niccole
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    good luck to you. I have been working with weights 4-5 days a week, and it really makes a difference. Don't let soreness keep you from going. Take is slow, and way to go.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Yeah, I'm just trying to start any...it's always been my least favorite part, and I think it is the most important part for my joints.

I just picked thirty minutes because I have two DVDs, one is 20 min. and one is 40 min...so I averaged.

We can do it!

:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    checking in...did my DVD today, so success!
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I absolutley HATE doing weights but know that I must. I will join the challenge. Will do 3 times per week for at least 20 minutes per. Will try to work up to 30(yuck). Can anyone tell me if using a Total Gym counts?I think it should, but not sure.
    Thanks!!
  • sherielf
    Options
    I've run into a hiccup and will start tomorrow since I did not pick up my set of weights yesterday as planned.

Have a great day!!:smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Had a busy day yesterday, so did my training first thing. 30 minutes in.

It is so boring. I love cardio (never thought I'd say that) but this is going to be a definite "challenge". I have some flash cards that came with my DVD, so now that I know the exercises, I'm going to pair it up with a TV show I like to watch or something...

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,056 Member
    Options
    Had a busy day yesterday, so did my training first thing. 30 minutes in.

It is so boring. I love cardio (never thought I'd say that) but this is going to be a definite "challenge". I have some flash cards that came with my DVD, so now that I know the exercises, I'm going to pair it up with a TV show I like to watch or something...

TD:
    Great idea. Flash Cards?? I am doing weight and resistance work, but my biggest issue is "form" - if I had pictures to look at, to show me which muscles I am working and the correct form, to avoid injury. Luckily the Nautilus machines all have good diagrams and instruction right on the machine. I've been doing about 20 minutes of my own made-up circuit training because my trainer flaked out, and I have to start with a new trainer next week.

And...don't forget about flexibility training: stretching-type stuff is also necessary. Like yoga or Tae Chi. The three legs of the stool, weights(resistance), cardio, and flexibility training.

What video do you have that has "flash cards," tdroseler? I'd like to check it out.

~cmriverside
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Hey guys - maybe this should be a weekly post so we can say whether we did 2 or 3 x a week or not?

Anyway, there are a lot of websites out there showing correct form in resistance training. A really good one showing the people doing the weights is:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness.asp - click on a type and click on the person.

I'm a yoga teacher, so if you have any questions on a pose, I can help you there - there are certain ways to get into a pose so you have a good chance of having correct form.

I have a cheat-sheet that I use for when I watch (listen to) the t.v. (news works well) while doing resistance. It also helps me keep track of how many push-ups, sit-ups, etc. I do each week. Keeps it from being boring. It's here:
    http://www.realage.com/WorkoutCenter/fitness/fpEntry.aspx
    You can also download free videos from their site - you may have to create an account though - it's free so no worries.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Here's a great no-frills site for strength training and stretching and stuff.

http://exrx.net/ (I find the using the drop down over the main area of the page is helpful for getting around the site.)

Most explanations have a picture or sometimes an animation that might help in place of 'flash cards'. If you click on a muscle, you get taken to a page with a link to stretching exercises as well as resistance exercises for various methods (free weights, machine, etc.)

I focus almost entirely on weight training and when I started this at the end of October it was doing about 50 min 3 times per week. As I got back into shape after a couple of weeks the time dropped to 30 minutes.

Figuring I was then ready, I then split out my routine (to one I created by trial and error back in my 20's), increased frequency to 5 days per week minimum, added weight/reps and more exercises to a duration of 60 minutes per day.

I think I've missed 1 Monday in the past month, so I'm doing pretty good. :smile: Some days it's realllly hard to get motivated. I definitly find having some choice tunes playing helps a lot, so I invested in a CD player for the basement.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    At the advice of my osteopath, I've been using the Core Secrets DVD called "accelerated core training" I love the exercises, but frankly have problems with the DVD (after you've learned the exercises, it's too much yakking in between).

Sorry to hear about your trainer getting flaky, Cheryl. And for the record, I do yoga three times a week. It is the one thing more than any other that has transformed my body (and my stress level).

Anyways, got in thirty minutes with my flashcards while watching my tivo'd Oprah ( a guilty pleasure).

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think my muscles are already showing. I was an athlete a hundred years ago...could this be some sort of "muscle memory" thing? Anyone?:flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    marywill, razbo, and viviakay,

Hey! thanks for all the websites....If I can see it I can do it. I'm going to start a yoga class on Monday at my gym.

Viv, what comes with "flash cards"?

Thanks again!

~Cheryl
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    cheryl,
    it's a DVD series called "Core Secrets" (a late night infomercial purchase that came with a stability ball) It was actually gathering dust until my osteopath recommended it as a well-rounded spine stabilizing exercise program. I'm sure it's on Amazon. Two of the DVDs came with a "flash card" version of the workout.

oh, and I did them again today. I find it much easier to roll the ball in front of the TV while watching a show than while watching the DVD.

--v.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Thanks, V
  • sherielf
    Options
    Ordered the DVD "Getting RIpped, 1000" and finally received it. I did it on Friday (late posting) and it was great. Lots of room for improvement but I got a great workout.

I will do it again tomorrow and again on Saturday so 1 hour 2x a week is what I'm pledging for my strength training.

Thanks,
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Got in 30 minutes today.

I had an "adjustment" today at the osteopath, and I'm so sore! Ibuprofen is my friend today.

• ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    A couple notes:
    Form- do your strength training in front of a mirror, or a window at night. I'm an atheltic trainer and do rehabs all day long, so I know form, but even I need to SEE what I'm doing so I can correct my movements. A full length works best so you can watch that your knees don't break out over your toes, that you are keeping your core positioned properly, and you go through a full range of motion with upper body. My neighbors probably laugh every night when I'm in my window busting out a workout :laugh:

Muscle Memory- ABSOLUTELY! In your past, you taught your body that you can achieve a very high level of fitness. Much like riding a bike. I haven't been on one in years, but know I could do it without falling off. Same for your body, it knows it's capable and will actually make it easier for you!

Swiss Ball- keep it handy at all times. We use them for core stability most often. Rather than sitting on your couch to watch a tv show, read, tie your shoes, use the ball! You won't notice the extra "workouts" but your body will!