what activities are included in "sedentary" setting?

Options
13»

Replies

• UmbraForzare
    Options
    I'm classed as disabled so when I am able to do a lot of cleaning or take a 15 min walk, I log it because for me it's not normal "every day" activity.

When I say a lot of cleaning, I don't mean just wiping the kitchen counter tops over or quickly cleaning the toilet - I'm talking about sweeping up and downstairs, moving everything in the kitchen to clean the tops and surfaces, scrubbing the oven, mopping up and downstairs, etc....That for me is outside of what I'm normally able to do so I log it BUT only IF I work up a sweat doing it.

If I don't then I don't believe I've raised my heart rate and I won't log it.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    And yes, a lot of people forget to deduct the normal calories they burn doing nothing - ie: I burn 300 calories on the treadmill for an hour, but if I'd done nothing at all, I'd have burned 70, so I need to subtract that 70 from the 300 to get the actual EXTRA calories.

This is part of the reason some people don't lose weight when eating back their exercise calories.

Yes I think you've hit the nail on the head with this. That's kind of what I meant with "double accounting".
  • Maztastic
    Maztastic Posts: 43
    Options
    Cleaning????? What's that???? LOL
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    And yes, a lot of people forget to deduct the normal calories they burn doing nothing - ie: I burn 300 calories on the treadmill for an hour, but if I'd done nothing at all, I'd have burned 70, so I need to subtract that 70 from the 300 to get the actual EXTRA calories.

This is part of the reason some people don't lose weight when eating back their exercise calories.

Yes I think you've hit the nail on the head with this. That's kind of what I meant with "double accounting".

And why I have a problem with specifically "eating" exercise calories and just try to stick to a range instead.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Cleaning????? What's that???? LOL

Yes there is that....

:embarassed:
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm disabled and was always very inactive up until recently. A normal day for me is usually sleeping all day because my meds make me tired, I exercise on the elliptical for 30-40 minutes or do some other form of aroebic activity, cook dinner and maybe throw some laundry in the washer. Now, vaccuuming the entire house, cleaning the bathrooms from top to bottom, washing and changing all beddings from 3 bedrooms, along with sweeping and mopping the entire kitchen and dinning room floor is something that I do NOT do everyday, and it can be very hard on me to do those things. While doing the more vigorous cleaning, I tend to work up a great deal of sweat and my heartbeat is racing as if I were doing 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer, so yes, I would consider that a definate workout especially if I was never very active in the first place. However, I have only logged those heavier duty chores in once, not to eat the calories back but more so just to keep me motivated because I was moving more.I believe that if you honestly feel you are exerting yourself while doing heavy cleaning than yes, go ahead and log it in. I say each to their own, whatever keeps you on track and inspires you to keep going is worth logging! I'm sure there are many people out there who do hard manual labor everyday for their jobs and that to them is normal and they are used to it but for the other half who are and have been sedendary for a long time, vigorously cleaning house is exercise and it does count! I do hope I have made some sense with my post. I just know that I get extremely exhausted while doing those chores above and beyond my normal daily activities.
  • omgitsgarry
    omgitsgarry Posts: 138
    Options
    I don't add daily things like walking to work and stuff, because my body is use to that kind of exercise. However, if I was working out in a gym or in a situation of doing a lot of work that made me sweat, yeah, I would add it in.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I only log my food. No exercises just food. I exercise everyday but never count it in.
  • LazyMogg
    LazyMogg Posts: 162
    Options
    My job is sedentary but I get out at lunchtime for a walk. The town I work in is hilly so if I attack those at pace it gets my heart pumping. However, I don't give myself extra food or calories for a workout as I'd rather just aim for weight loss. I don't lose weight very quickly so this method is best for me.