Still learning about my body

Dawntodusk
Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
edited September 24 in Introduce Yourself
I'm new to myfitnesspal.com, but not new to fitness and nutrition. Except for post-pregnancy, I've always been able to maintain a healthy weight, but this changed a couple of years ago. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder which I'm sure complicates the issue, but this is only part of the problem. In short, I've been learning and practicing new ways of eating to promote my health and energy level. I've always worked out (weights, yoga and cardio) and continue to do so. Since July of 2010 I completely cut out sugar. It was difficult for 3 weeks since I was definitely addicted (who isn't?) but now I never think about it. I do not eat sugar substitutes because that would defeat the whole purpose. I also have lowered my carb intake dramatically and do not eat refined carbs at all. I do this because I've learned about myself that if I eat beyond a certain level of carbs, then I have difficulty controlling it at all. I probably have some insulin-resistance issues going on. So, to avoid cravings, I keep the levels low, and that seems to work for me. And I've cut out caffeine. I also went to a naturopath and now take many nutritional supplements . All of these changes have helped me feel better. Now I just want to get the weight down! I have hope that myfitnesspal will be a great tool for my weight goals because of the community of support and tools that are available.

Replies

• skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    I also have an auto immune disease and it does make it very hard to maintain my weight. Mine is called Ulcerative Colitis. I have a hard time eating fruits and raw veggies as they make my stomach hurt so very badly as well as many other foods. I am motivated to hear that you have fought your battle and are winning. I am proud of you for doing this. You are a great inspiration.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Thanks, Skinnyme. I have Graves Disease. It affects the thyroid. Most people with Graves lose weight, because it increases one's metabolism. But, in my case, I just started eating like crazy - having a restaurant makes it easy. And so I actually gained weight, and I think I messed with my insulin because I was mostly eating sweets and carbs - like nonstop all day. Then I crashed and was bedridden until I got a diagnosis and slowly started educating myself. It's been a learning process, and I continue to try to fine-tune what I should and shouldn't do and eat.
This discussion has been closed.