Can't Exercise Help

Options
I am in desperate need of a Hip Replacemqnt. I have limited mobility and walk with a cane. My Dr. will not do the surgery unless I lose a significant amount of weight. I am truly focused to lose the weight and am on day three of my diet. I honestly believe I can lose the weight through diet but w/o exercise will be much, much slower. My problem is not how much I eat but what I eat. Way too much processed food. The incredible pain I have is my incentive to diet. I have huge family support my son just lost 60 pounds through diet and exercise and he has become my coach. The Dr. said maybe I should think about a gastric bypass ( I have 100 pds to lose). i DON'T REALLY WANT TO HAVE THAT SURGERY THEN THINK ABOUT ANOTHER SURGERY WITH THE hIP REPLACEMENT. really STRESSED THAT i CAN'T EXERCISE. Daily LIFE IS CHALLENGING ENOUGH. Any THOUGHTS, IDEAS? Sorry about the caps - new IPHONE still learning how to tap lightly!!!!

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics, if you have access to a pool & class?
  • lbragg
    lbragg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There are also a lot of dvd's out there with exercises that can be done in a chair so they are non-weightbearing (e.g. chair dancing, chair aerobics) good luck to you!
  • Kathi1016
    Kathi1016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't. Live in the Northeast. Really embarrassed right now to try a YWCA - maybe that will change in a couple of months.
    I will put on my short list of goals down the line. Someone said to try a recumbanet (sp) bike - but not sure I have the mobility right now. My son said to not focus on exercise right now and stay on course for diet. Of course now I want everything to happen quick :smile:
  • JenniferTasso
    JenniferTasso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Maybe look for exercises you can do while sitting in a chair?...You could get some small weights and lift them while sitting...Umm...try leg lifts while sitting..( I am thinking back to when I was CNA and saw therapy come in to help those who could not walk, or had trouble walking)...As far as processed foods..bad bad bad, but we all eat them....If you like yogurt and are a sweet fanatic like myself, there is a great yogurt called Chobani Greek Yogurt!....To me it tastes more like dessert, it has helped me out a lot. My Zumba instructor told me, if what you eat, has a mother, a father, or came from the earth, then you can eat it....Lots of veggies and fruits, and protein, chicken tuna, turkey...(no deli meats)....It's tough, because temptation is hell!...But with enough encouragement you can do it...I can be here to help you along if you would like :)
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through..I have not been able to excercise due to two disc in my back that Are herniated..:(
  • Kathi1016
    Kathi1016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh that's a great idea. I will look into that right now. Great help. Thanks.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    When I first started I lost 60 lbs in about 5 months with diet alone. Look into the no impact workouts, or the chair workouts, but don't feel like it can't be done with diet alone if you can't find anything.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    Look on youtube.com for chair aerobics. Also anything you can do that is going to get your heart rate up is going to help. Wall pushups (to build strength) (have no idea if you can do these because of the pain), you can focus on boxing w/o twisting your hips. Good for you on not wanting the weight loss surgery. I think this way is more fulfilling and sustainable.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise, stay focused on your diet, watch your daily calorie intake and try to eat mainly whole foods, get lots of fiber in every meal (preferably from vegetables) and drink lots of water. Make sure you always have healthy snacks handy so you don't turn to quick unhealthy snacks. It's all about planning. If you are consistent with your diet the weight will come off.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    As a trainer, I have a software program where I can make workout cards for clients. In this software program is a section specifically for people in wheelchairs, so I made a quick workout card in the program that you can do in any chair. It's been a while since I've saved a new card, so I can't remember how to convert it to a jpg to put on photobucket, so I had to save it as a pdf. But I uploaded it to my Google docs page and here is a link so you can open it and print it out.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BwXNB9s7m3VkMzdiZTA5MzctMTU3OS00YTYyLThhMmMtMDNhOTE5YjM4YjNi&hl=en

ETA: Okay, I can't get that link to work, but I also shared it on my Facebook page and that link works. So, here is the link to my facebook page so you can hopefully see a working link. http://www.facebook.com/TrainingWithTonya