How do you determine servings for recipes?

Options
Purplegal
Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
Hey there I'm hoping someone can help me...I just made a huge pot of turkey chili...its 2 lbs of ground turkey, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, an 8 oz of tomato sauce, 32 oz of kidney beans, onion, bell peppers, garlic, etc.
So I was entering this in the recipe section, and it asks how many servings. I don't know! I guessed 8 but its just a guess...how could I determine this so I know how many calories I'm eating tonight?

Thanks!

Replies

• Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    If you split it between 8 people and they all have the same size portion then it is 8 servings.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I put it in a big measuring bowl/cup and count 1 cup per serving. More than likely I'd have two cups but it helps to just be able to scoop a measuring cup in and know exactly how much I'm eating. If you have a food scale you could also weigh it and divide it by how ever many servings you think it is then just weigh out the amount you're going to eat.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    you need to weigh or measure the total amount that you made, then figure out what a reasonable serving for you would be size wise and also depending on how many calories it will have per serving.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    this may sound a bit nerdy :) but what i do is to use my kitchen scale to weigh all my ingredients, then put that number down as number of servings. mfp will then calculate the number of calories in each ounce. then i weigh the portion i'm going to eat, and i record that as the number of serving sizes eaten.

as an example, if my ingredients weigh 20 oz, i put down 20 as the number of servings. so if the total ingredients are 1000 calories, mfp will calculate 50 calories/oz. then if i eat 4 oz for dinner, i know it's 200 calories.

i find this method to be accurate for me, and no guessing is involved :)