Bean recipes

Options
exermom
exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
For Lent I'm going to try to have beans at least twice/week. On the whole, I really don't care for beans. I think this may be due to the fact that as a kid, my mother never made them so I was never exposed to them.

I know that beans (kidney, black, pinto, chickpeas, etc) are good for me.

However, since I really don't care for them, I think I need to start out slowly introducing beans to my palate. Yesterday I went to Jason's Deli and had some of their chicken chili. Normally, I wouldn't have had it, but I need to get myself into the "bean eating" mode.

Does anyone know of any good, not real involved, recipes that have some beans in it. I don't think I should start out eating a dish of beans, I'll get turned off. However, if they're mixed with something else (chicken, sweet potatoes, etc), and there aren't too many beans in a serving, I could probably handle that. I will most likely add more beans as time goes on.

So...HELP!!!!!

p.s. - I'll also need the nutritionals (sodium, etc) for the recipes

Replies

• Larode
    Larode Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    at the grocery store they have bags of dried mixed beans...soak them over night and then make your favorite soup recipe, adding the beans instead of any pasta or rice. Much healthier for you..... I make a tuscan soup that has tomatoes, italian sausage, and tons of veges. It calls for beans rather than pasta and I love it! Plus I make and freeze for convenience. At Thanksgiving, I make my turkey soup this way, as well.
  • cme9113
    cme9113 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello. I am doing the 17 day diet and I am loving it. There is a recipe in the book for Turkey Black Bean Chili. I know it does'nt sound good, but it is yummy. Here is the recipe, Enjoy!

1 lb lean ground turkey 1 Tbs chili powder
    2 cups black beans 1 tsp Kosher salt
    1 cup chopped onion 1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 cups tomato sauce

In a saucepan, brown the ground tukey over med heat. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for 20 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    http://www.justbeanrecipes.com/index.html

Im sure with over 4,000 recipes there is something you can make that you would like. :)
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Great Northern Beans and the Randall's brand has the least carbs and most fiber. I loveeeee white chili ( ground turkey, beans, cumin, S/P) yummmmmo. I put it in the crock pot and its done for dinner.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    larode - thanks for the great idea. I think I have some soup, I'll just add the beans. Never thought of that. Thanks. Or...I can make some soup myself. I really don't care much for canned soup since it's many times so high in sodium. But if I make it myself....... What a great suggestion!

cme - "2 cups black beans", I'm assuming that's not canned, is that right? So you would need to soak the beans overnight, right? I'll run this recipe thru my Mastercook to get the nutritionals.

tanniew - thanks so much for the link. I have to leave for church right now, but I'll check it out when I get back.