Weigh before or after cooking??

Options
13»

Replies

• LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I wonder whether someone could help me with a ramen noodles dilemma?

Calories by packet weight: apparently 143
    Calories after cooking: apparently nearly 500!

I am missing something very, very obvious here, and if someone could explain what that is, I'd be really grateful xD
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I mostly weight things like chicken, steak or pork chops after it's cooked. I often cook up an entire bag/package of chicken breast so why (or how more importantly) do I weigh each piece and somehow mark which weighs what and lay them out just right on the grill so I know which piece is what weight. No thanks! I'm a pretty nit-picky tracker but this has worked and I don't think it's hindered me any. But I'm careful about what entries I use or use USDA values.

The only time I weighed meat raw was when it was going into a recipe, say ground beef or turkey.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Unless it specifies on the package or recipe, I weigh everything before cooking/eating. When you are making a recipe and it calls for 1 lb of hamburger, you don't cook the hamburger first and then weigh out 1 lb, you weigh the lb before cooking. I'm assuming it should work the same way for all things....
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If you type, say, "chicken calories" into Google, they now provide detailed nutrition information, including calories for cooked items.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    i weigh all meat before cooking it. Most products should be weighed in its raw form.
    Pasta is the one that is hard to do. I tend to measure it out after cooking it b/c it swells when cooked bringing it to a state that you can measure it and know you are not eating more than the serving size.

Chef Jenn

All the pasta I have bought says the NI is for the dry weight.....
  • mohamadsawsan
    Options
    intresting question