What kinds of food were you fed growing up?

Options
Let's get nostalgic!

My mom used to pack my brother and I sandwiches made with white bread, butter and sugar! We'd also have some fruit juice, Dunkaroos and Goldfish crackers for snacks. I also remember taking a pack of dry instant noodles, adding the seasoning, vigorously shaking and crushing the bag, and eating them like chips.
I cannot believe the crap I used to put in my body!

Replies

• dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I remember my friends always used to be so jealous of me in primary school cos I would have the best lunches - sandwiches, crisps, biscuits and usually a chocolate bar on top of that. So much food!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Oreos and milk! Dunkaroos-what a take back!
    I don't remember the name, but they still sell them. The little crackers and cheese dip individual servings, loved those! My mom made lasagna a lot... yikes haha. Mac n' Cheese with peas and tuna.
    Nature valley granola, lots of those. Frosted animal crackers, peanut m&ms, Capri suns, those little koolaid bottles.
  • theidarisafa
    Options
    Ramen noodles, kool aid(which the kids made with double-the amount of sugar-yuk)

Beefaroni, spagetti'os.

High sugar cereal. Us kids used to make "bread balls" from white bread. Basically you take bread and make it into a ball and eat it. Usually multiple slices(when there was NO whole wheat white)

Lots of fast food.

Meals that my mother and grandmother made for me.

I see why I have problems with food now.
  • Sheila62
    Sheila62 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    we regularly had dripping on bread (pure animal fat) with lots of salt, and chips cooked in lard, fried bacon and eggs and tripe ugh! that was disgusting, i'm surprised i'm still here lol
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    High sugar cereal. Us kids used to make "bread balls" from white bread. Basically you take bread and make it into a ball and eat it. Usually multiple slices(when there was NO whole wheat white)
    I remember making bread ball! My parents did buy "whole wheat" Roman Meal which was "tan bread" not really whole wheat. LOL

My mom would also make hotdogs with beans, hamloaf, and salisbury steak (in the tin pan with gravy)
  • ezreka
    ezreka Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    We always had chips and coke in the house, but we also always had fruits and vegetables. My dad was a wonderful cook. My brother and I used to make peanut butter and syrup sandwiches, kool aide with 2 cups of sugar and white rice with butter and sugar. But, we never ever had white bread, my mom always bought wheat bread, and now my kids never eat white bread either. But I do have chips and cookies in the house for them.......but no soda, when I gave that up, they did too :smile:
  • StPattysGrl
    Options
    Spagetti Os! Dolly Madison Zingers (like Twinkies)! Mac and Cheese! Corn Dogs! Bologna Sandwiches!

But we ate lots of healthy food too... we always had fruits and vegetables around. Always had a well balanced meal with a protein and a veggie.

I ate a lot more crappy food then I do now... but we also ate healthy as well. I think my mom tried to keep it in balance.
  • ian191
    ian191 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't remember exactly, but it was all unhealthy, very few vegetables, lots of fatty foods and what not.

My grandma always watched us when my parents were at work, and she never really had much money, so even when she was watching us and using food my parents bought, she still cooked as if she had very little... So just lots of the cheap unhealthy stuff.

It is still very hard for me to eat healthier, because most healthy food is still nasty to me, but I am getting better.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Almost everything my mom cooked included bacon grease if it was fried at all! :ohwell: Wholesome, good food, just too much of it! We were expected to clean our plates and never leave the table hungry at all. Holidays were the worst! Lots of food and everyone ate until they gorged themselves! Still hard to mentally break that tradition; ingrained into most people I know. Now on holidays I try to make a normal-sized, although special meal with one type of dessert!
  • tbtravels
    tbtravels Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Grilled cheese, mac n cheese, cheddar cheese, anything with cheese, bologna, biscuits & gravy, Ramen noodles, wheat bread (thanks for that Mom!. She also put wheat germ into our cereal or yogurt), Little Debbie snacks, Taco Salad, Diet Coke, not a lot of fresh fruits, veggies or fish, which were hard to come by where I grew up in Appalachia. I have always been addicted to quality tomatoes though and my great granddaddy grew 'em best!

My BFF's dad once spiked her lentil soup with orange Metamucil because he thought she and her brother needed regularity. They won't let him forget it!
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    Who has two thumbs and is an extremely picky eater?...this girl *points thumb at self*! I only ate hotdogs, mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, alfraedo, PB&J, cookies, chips, ice cream, and any junky sugary food I could get my hands on. Both my parents have demanding full time jobs that didn't bring them home until after 7 or 8 P.M. and I'm an only child, so every night was what my mom liked to call "Fend for Yourself". Needless to say, I never made wise decisions when it came to feeding myself.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    We used to eat a lot of fast food withy dad but wheny parwnts got divorced we hardly ate it.
    I'm from Germany & trust me, we love to cook & we love food. We mainly had white bread but hardly ever sweets on the house.
    My Mom & Grandma cook big german meals, but we also add a lot of veggies. I love most veggies b'c of that & fruit is a daily thing.
    I have 3 kids now & I used to be this way but after having our son I started changing. No white bread or pasta & every meal with veggies or fruit. We also mainly drank sparkling water, no soda except for at parties. I do the same now!
    I can't switch over to brown rice though for some reason....hm
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating Swanson TV dinners (fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, & brownie) and Chips Ahoy cookies. All bread was white. Was forced to drink mineral oil for years, which had I just been fed fiber rich food, would not have been necessary.
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    so much.

raw hot dogs, bologna, cheese slices on white bread with MW, chips...sugar filled cereal.
    spagettios for sure. hostess fruit pies lol

but that was lunch

supper was always home cooked food...home made mach and cheese. fried chicken, mashed potatoes, roasts lol not much fruit going on...and usually canned veggies, but that was budget living. you cleaned your plate and were grateful for what you got.

oh and we wouldn't get to drink our milk till we ate our food lol
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    Who has two thumbs and is an extremely picky eater?...this girl *points thumb at self*! I only ate hotdogs, mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, alfraedo, PB&J, cookies, chips, ice cream, and any junky sugary food I could get my hands on. Both my parents have demanding full time jobs that didn't bring them home until after 7 or 8 P.M. and I'm an only child, so every night was what my mom liked to call "Fend for Yourself". Needless to say, I never made wise decisions when it came to feeding myself.

We had 'Fed for yourself' nights regularly at my house too.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, this is fun. My mom used to make us white bread, toasted, in milk with sugar, all heated in the microwave so the bread got soft and the sugar dissolved. It was so sweet! She called it "Milque toast." :wink: We also had: instant potatoes, crunchy taco nights, ordered pizza, doritos, lots of veggies, much to my younger brother's disappointment, diet sodas, a little fast food, and, when they decided to count calories, we had things like cereal, instant potatoes made with water :sick: lean meats cooked on the foreman grill, lots more veggies, even less fast food and ordered pizza, homemade subs, and a lot more diet soda.

When I lived with my great grandma, it was either cereal or scrambled eggs with ranch dressing and toast with butter and jam for breakfast. The toast was always cut into little squares and if it was cereal, the cereal was dumped into a tupperware container, so that I could have the toy. She also let me drink coffee at the ripe old age of five, with milk and sugar, out of a cup shaped like a bear with the head as a lid and a straw. For lunch, breaded chicken patties on white bread with mustard or a happy meal. I liked chicken nuggets with BBQ and french fries dipped in honey. What?
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    i had all homemade foods, my father was a grill chef and did not believe real food came from a box. My grandparents owned a seafood restaurant that I ate at all the time. I know I ate more shrimp in my day that I will ever eat again. Steamed flounder, Ribeye, Hamburger steaks, homemade coleslaw. Every Sunday we ate at my grandmothers house. Again everything homemade from pot roast, to Chicken being grilled over a large pit fire outside, and my dads family all were raised on the dairy farm a few hundred acres so we had fresh corn, cows milk, watermelon, eggs, and we sent the pigs out to get fresh pork.
    I am a true born bred and raised in the South Girl...
    All this family time and cooking is the reason why I am a Chef today
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    my mom made home grown brown beans and home grown fried potatos every night. We usually had pork chops, fried chicken or hamburger patties for meat. You had to grab very fast to get a piece of meat. There was 7 of us kids and my mom and dad so sometimes there wasn't always meat to go around. Home canned pickles or chowchow. Koolaid or ice water to drink. Rarely soda or chips or snack cakes. Sometimes mackreal (sp?) patties. We had tomatos, green onions, white onions, leaf lettuce, radishes, corn on the cob and carrots in the summer that we grew in the garden. Grapes, apples or peaches if we happened to spend the summers helping out at a local orchard or vineyard. We had a bowl of corn flakes or cheerios with powdered or watered down canned pet milk for breakfast during the week and sundays. On saturdays mom made scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits, gravy. There was homemade jelly usually grape or apple or peach. we had whatever was served at school for lunch. My weight didn't come on until my mid 20's when i got out of the military.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I had breakfast, lunch and dinner. All balanced. Protein, veggies and grain.

Our bread had seeds in it LOL I hated it...although I like it now.

Dinner was always a meat, veggie, salad and grain.

I had 3 glasses of milk a day.

This is what caused me to go NUTS when I moved out. I gained weight when I was on my own...finally able to eat the foods I was never allowed.

My kids get balanced meals and junk in moderation.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    If it came in a box, we ate it. Instant mac & cheese, Hamburger Helper, chinese food (in which case there was a can IN the box), Tuna Helper, Rice-A-Roni, Betty Crocker, Aunt Jemima, Stove Top Stuffing, Potato Buds (instant mashed potatoes) and frozen stuff. I guess my mom was way into convenience. We also had powdered milk on hand at all times, also in a box.

Also, I remember my parents were on a Burger King kick for awhile. They would buy a dozen or so burgers (maybe they were on special?) AND PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER to heat up in the microwave for the rest of the week's meals.

That's a riot. It wasn't until I moved out of the house that I realized how many people actually buy and prepare actual foods using recipes. What? Mashed potatoes don't come out of a box? LOL