How do you do it?

puert0rican
puert0rican Posts: 2
edited September 24 in Motivation and Support
Ok, so I started my weight loss Feb. 20th of this year.. I only lost 7 pounds, how do you guys work out, and how many times a week? Any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    I have been told and have read that you should do at least 30 minutes a day. I've been told recently that 500 calories a day is good for starters
  • 500 calories a day eats away at your heart's lining... so NO to that.
    I'm usually about 1000-1200 calories a day, and I got for long walks every other day, with a hard workout on Thursdays.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    7 pounds in 2 weeks soundsexcellent to me!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Only 7 lbs?? that is great! I agree with the statement 30 mins a day to start and 500 calories is a great burn!..Start with cardio (treadmill, walking, elliptical is awesome) and make sure you add some strength training and core work each day as well...Above all else - WATCH YOUR SODIUM INTAKE......I have found besides calories and excerise - it's the key to success!
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    I have been told and have read that you should do at least 30 minutes a day. I've been told recently that 500 calories a day is good for starters

I am thinking you mean burning 500 calories daily.
  • 500 calories a day eats away at your heart's lining... so NO to that.
    I'm usually about 1000-1200 calories a day, and I got for long walks every other day, with a hard workout on Thursdays.

I'm thinking she meant Burn 500 calories a day? I'm hoping, anway.
  • missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    I'm guessing she meant burning 500 calories a day, not eating 500 a day.
  • But seriously, you're doing GREAT.
    And NEVER EVER let anyone talk you into the HcG diet.

http://jezebel.com/#!5772389/dont-follow-this-scary-diet
  • You should be so proud of yourself!

Seven pounds in two weeks is awesome.

As for me, I am soooo lazy when it comes to working out. It isn't funny. I told my husband, though, if somehow I ended up with a Wii for Christmas, that I would use it. And I have. No, not every day, but at least three or four times a week. It's taken a lot of discipline (which I really do NOT have) but I've managed. Usually I spend about 30 minutes when I am on it.

We will see how successful I am this time!

Good luck and be PROUD!
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Seven lbs in 2 weeks is great. Healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week, so you are doing awesome!!
  • keybelle
    keybelle Posts: 15
    I was pretty out of shape when I started. I started off with alternating a 30 minute weight/toning segment alternating every other day with 30 minutes of low impact aerobics. As I got more fit, I am up to 60 minutes of cardio about 6 days a week, and I still do the weights (6 pound ankle weights and 5 pound dumb bells) plus 100 sit ups every other day.

In other words, I kept adding on exercise as I kept losing. One thing I noticed, the less you weigh, the fewer calories you burn during the exercises, according to the exercise segment of MFP. So I guess it makes sense that you need to exercise more as you go to maintain loss.

7 pounds is great. I believe that slow weight loss with long term modification of habits is successful! I'm sure I do burn 500 calories on some days, and I think it is a great goal, but you have to start out where you are. If you are out of shape to start with, working out too hard or incorrectly can cause overuse injury and you want to stay away from that.

Good luck!
  • Nala335
    Nala335 Posts: 38 Member
    I typically lose 5-8 pounds the first week I start a diet because I am so heavy and full of water weight. But the only way weight loss continues is to diet and exercise. I used to run 3-5 times per week, but this time, I joined an exercise class. It's 45 minutes of cardio and strength training done in intervals. But there's no miracle, just a formula, eat less than you use and do it with diet and exercise. Its usually 1-2 pounds per week using this regimen.
This discussion has been closed.