Something that I noticed about the Before Pictures

Options
EightDMB
EightDMB Posts: 155 Member
One thing that I've noticed about the before and after pictures is how poorly we take care of ourselves when we are 'our fatter selves'. In most of the before pictures, and in my own fat pics, the hair is unkempt, the makeup lacking, the clothes frumpy. I'm not judging anyone at all, like I said... my 'fat pictures' are exactly the same!

The before pictures are often really sad, and it's not just the weight... it's the entire appearance, down to the forlorn, half-hearted smile. I wonder if it's a symptom of the fact that we are not paying attention to ourselves on any physical level. When I work out and eat right, I feel like I'm taking care of myself and I continue that in other ways, like my hair and makeup. It reminds me once again, that we do need to take the time to eat right and work out.

Replies

• california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I know exatly what you mean. It is amazing how much happier I look in pictures now. First of all, I am IN the pictures now. Not hiding or staying behind the camera. Even in old pictures were I was dressed up I never look happy.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!!!!
  • anarkhanoom
    anarkhanoom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is so true!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Yep! Posture is better too in the after pics.
  • nikki8marie
    nikki8marie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that before pictures are usually like that too. Most before/after pictures that I see are on commercials for some product or other so I've attributed the difference to trying to sell a product. Although now that you mention it, I think you are right.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Working with patients I had to dress nice, and fix my hair and makeup. So not all my before pics are tragic. I had an old boss tell me if you look good you feel good.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    <--See the suit? I always look good! :laugh:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You have more energy to primp when you're healthy!
  • EightDMB
    EightDMB Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Amygirl, you are spot on... I'm not even in most of our pictures!
  • shayborder
    Options
    it is so true now that I am working out I have energy to worry about the other things like appearance
  • vitosbud
    vitosbud Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My profile pic is my dog Vito. I went searching for one of myself and quickly realized... there aren't very many. Kind of an example for me that at my heaviest I didn't only keep myself out of photos but out of much of the fun as well. Not anymore :)
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I agree with that, but you know I have seen some hot looking before pictures in my MFP family pictures.

I am also one of the oh no here let me take the picture, or trying to hide. Let's not even talk about what it is like to take a picture with an amazingly fit girlfriend. *ugh* I still love her though! *chuckle*

Here we are adding that little extra self confidence, that spring in our steps, that glitter in our eyes, and that *growl* sexy feeling of getting healthier step by step! May your after pictures continue to be as beautiful as your inner light! <3
  • BeckyRayJohnson
    Options
    with me it was the attitude that what I did to my hair and face did not matter since being so overweight I still looked old and tired. and I had given up on a lot of things..the dentist is going to make my smile nice again for the first time in twenty years. I have my hair cut by a darling niece now who begged me to make regular appointments even if I had no money. Now I do. I still dont do makeup but I have started using a moisturizer like a good woman should. lol. Now to finish changing my ways of eating and getting more exercise. I love the new me but I have a ways to go yet. I failed to mention that I lost fifty lbs before joining mfp. That is why I say the new me. IT feels great honestly to get out of the womens sizes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I've always been big on the hair and makeup, but now that I'm feeling better about myself, I'm more likely to just pull my hair back in a ponytail and skip the makeup. My skin is clearer, my face looks younger... I don't feel like I need the distraction of makeup. Unless I'm going out or something. Then I go full Fran Drescher mode. :smile:

The before picture I posted on my "halfway" thread is truly horrible, because it was an unposed candid and my hair was soaking wet. In any flattering pictures, my weight loss would be less noticeable.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186679-whoah-i-m-halfway-there
  • cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My profile pic is my dog Vito. I went searching for one of myself and quickly realized... there aren't very many. Kind of an example for me that at my heaviest I didn't only keep myself out of photos but out of much of the fun as well. Not anymore :)

I'm with you vitosbud - when I went to look for a before picture I had to really dig to get one. I always carry my camera so I can stay BEHIND the camera. I hope one of the things I will change is my cameraphobia. I love taking photos but would like to be in some future photos too.
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to take a full body picture, I AM in pictures but only my face I normally hide behind someone or something,
    cant wait!
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I've always been big on the hair and makeup, but now that I'm feeling better about myself, I'm more likely to just pull my hair back in a ponytail and skip the makeup. My skin is clearer, my face looks younger... I don't feel like I need the distraction of makeup. Unless I'm going out or something. Then I go full Fran Drescher mode. :smile:

I am the same way...I love makeup!! Even at my biggest I always took care of my skin, hair and makeup, and still TRIED to look cute. Now, if I run out of the house with just some concealer on, and hair in a pony, I feel fine. I think in some way I used the makeup as a distraction so people would pay attention to my facial features instead of my body...of course this was subconsciously, but could bear some truth to it.
  • stacysss
    stacysss Posts: 7
    Options
    I completely agree with what you just said. im only starting my weight loss journey and i have a far way to go but i can relate to the before part the more weight i have put on the more i just dont care about my hair and makeup etc.. bc i have been feeling so poorly about myself over all not just one thing. It kind of seems like even when i do put makeup on and do my hari i still dont feel good. But you are right we all need to take better care of ourselves like they say " our body is our temple"
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Totally agree ,I know I should take more care and I want to I just never seem to get around to it ! Plus there are very few pics of me as I HATE having a photo taken ,I know I am very very overweight but in my mind on a good day I am still about 18 :laugh: until I look in the mirror or see a pic :laugh:
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options

I am the same way...I love makeup!! Even at my biggest I always took care of my skin, hair and makeup, and still TRIED to look cute. Now, if I run out of the house with just some concealer on, and hair in a pony, I feel fine. I think in some way I used the makeup as a distraction so people would pay attention to my facial features instead of my body...of course this was
    subconsciously, but could bear some truth to it.

Yeah, i haven't lost a lot of weight, but i'm big on hair and makeup, and i sometimes over do the clothes and makeup to hide my imperfections. Deep down i still care about how i look, and that's the reason why i'm getting in shape. Now i'm excited to do my hair and makeup when i'm down 40 lbs because i know i'm going to feel a lot more comfortable.
    so i'm on both sizes of the story lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!