I can't get enough calories in a day.

Options
I have been eating low cal food for the past few days and can't reach the full 1200. I'm eating good sized meals and lots of snacks, but the stuff I'm eating is just low in calories. I don't want to go and eat high unhealthy food just to reach my goal, and I can't eat any more because I will feel sick since I'm already stuffing my self as it is. Any simple and HEALTHY high calorie food anyone can suggest?

Replies

• Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Add slices of avocado to sandwiches

Mix peanut or almond butter with muesli into your yogurt

Add chopped nuts to your yogurt too!
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Nuts, greek yogurt and peanut butter are my favorites :)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    nuts, peanut butter, bananas, eggs, reduced fat cheese, non fat yogurt and cottage cheese...
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Also apples, bananas if they are large :)
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    -nuts,
    -yogurt-can be.
    -granola bars/protein bars.
  • biggerpix
    biggerpix Posts: 96
    Options
    I do almonds and popcorn. I have the same problem with getting in all my calories because I feel way too full too.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have an acquaintance with a metabolism like a hummingbird, and it is a challenge for her to eat enough! At first it seems like such a good "problem" to have, but after talking with her she has her own challenges. The grass isn't always greener! Anyway, we talked about it one day and these are things she does:

~ peanut butter (natural kind, without the added oil & sugar. Read the label.) ANY nut butter, really.
    ~ whole-grain / multi-grain everything
    ~ quality lean meat: fish, chicken/turkey, etc
    ~ avocados & olives
    ~ meal replacement shakes in addition to meals! LOL

So much of the conversations center around reducing calories, but I can sympathize with folks who need to eat more calories ... in a healthy way.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    protein shake
    raw almonds
    granola
    olives
  • SushiPunk
    SushiPunk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I can't believe I didn't think of eating nuts, I love them. They sound like a great, quick and not too filling solution.
  • otrinao
    otrinao Posts: 53
    Options
    Whenever I am short on calories I drink a protein drink. I buy the 100% whey protein and mix a scoop (140 cal)of that with 8oz of almond milk (60 cal). I do this usually at the end of the day and it keeps me satisfied all night
  • Theresamillikan
    Options
    If you are feeling full and eating enough you dont have to eat all your available calories...I am almost always under my calories..
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    i eat about 2400 a day. no troubles. coulde eat double cept i'd get fat, lol.

peanuts are good, generally something like 300cal's per 50gm's, depending on brand of course. daily snack for me :p, this together with a protein shake with added glucose, and there's 450 cals.
    peanut butter.
    almonds.
    avocado, chuck it in everything aye. salads, sandwich's, whatever.
    yoghurt.
    full cream milk. add a glass daily...easy calories. ask the bodybulders, lol.

a usual meal for me (im eating one right now :p )
    180gm's chicken, 75gm chickpeas, 1 cucumber, 1 tomoato, 1 carrot. 30gm's avocado.
    552 cals. a little high on protein...but you could bring the carbs and fat up to match, then split the meal in two serves...there's lunch 1 and 2. and half your calories done.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I had this issue too..I just added simple things that are great for you...like almonds (170 calories for ONE ounce, 28 almonds); I just tried chocolate almond milk (120 cal for cup), its delicious; REALLY Delicious....I also tried adding a deli flat with apple butter right after my morning work-out (100 for the flat; 35 for the apple butter)..or an egg after my morning workout, but before my breakfast; or add a fiber bar in the middle of the day; the Kellog's fiber plus bars are like delicious (120-130 calories with NINE grams of fiber)

Hope this helps!
  • JenniferTasso
    JenniferTasso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Chobani Greek Yogurt is DELISH!...usually 140 cals per 6oz, no fat,(unless you buy the 2%) and 14 grams of protein....Raw almonds are so yum!....I also like thomas english muffins...They have some that are only 100 cals each...so add a touch of peanut butter, and it makes for a great snack :)
  • CayceLynn77
    Options
    Same problem here.... for instance, right now I am a 850 calories (1200 goal) I have eaten all day and I feel as if I eat anything else I will pop...... and here is the next problem, I do an hour of cardio at least 5 times daily which typically burn 543 calories for me so am WAY too low on my net calorie intake? could my body go into starvation mode :huh:
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Almonds, walnuts. 15 grams each. Tablespoon olive oil, butter, eggs, banana.
  • mideon_696
    Options
    yeah way too low, lol. how do you function?

if your burning 540+ daily, then you need something like 1740+ per day...

its not hard...just eat calorically dense stuff, and dont be afraid of fat...you need it ;), the right fat anything. just steer clear of sat fat's.
  • CayceLynn77
    Options
    How do I function? Not very well LOL.... The first three weeks it was all good, I am really starting to feel the drag....
  • strawick
    strawick Posts: 1
    Options
    I began taking Phentermine (37.5) about 12 days ago. I had been trying (really) since Jan 2 to get my weight loss going. I hit age 40 and what the crap happened?! I have always been able to drop the weight when I wanted to. No luck, so doc prescribed the Phentermine. It suppresses my appetite to the point that I "forget" to eat. Since starting, I my calorie intake has been 350-900 per day (healthy foods only.) I have decided on Saturdays to have a "cheat" meal and I choose something I love but still don't overdo it, on those days, calorie intake is about 1400. I have not started a regular excercise routine yet. I have lost almost 10 lbs so far and I am so excited. I catch a lot of crap from friends because I don't eat regularly. One friend even told me to set alarms throughout the day to remind me. Is it really so bad to eat this way as long as you feel good and are not hungry or tired?
  • mideon_696
    Options
    lol.

well remember to add the above to your diet, and to eat your exercise calories!!!
    If you can plan your day, taking into account the exercise you will do on that day before you'll be right!
    You'll start feeling better within days too.