To Crawl or not to Crawl?

Options
So the question I have isn't really a question, it's more a needing to be swayed one way or another.  Next Saturday is a local "pub crawl" in a town near me.  A lot of friends are going and this is an event I have never been able to go to since my schedule for work never has worked in my favor before.  I've wanted to go before, but I am concerned about stunting my progress so far.  I haven't had anything to drink (alcohol) since the Superbowl.  What do you think?  Should I call it my scheduled splurge or spike day and just try to still be good on food intake, or should I skip this year because the goal of being healthier is worth so much more than one afternoon?

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Encouragement?

Replies

• runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    One day won't hurt necessarily. Ultimately, it depends on your resolve to stay on course. If you think you can have an indulgence day and go right back to it, then by all means, go for it. The alcohol slows your metabo and the food choices are a factor as well. I've read posts from others saying that you can go out and still make good choices to minimalize the damage to your "program". This is a change in lifestyle, but it doesn't have to mean cutting things out completely. Learning moderation is the most important thing when it comes to getting and staying healthy.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If your goal is only for a year, you might have to expect to go right back where you were. Being healthy is full time. That's not to say that one evening outing will squash all of that...

You could go and limit your drinking instead of binging... Drink water in between drinks... The culprit is the next day cause if you're hung over exercise and food will be out the window - so now your one day spike or cheat has become 2. Come up with a plan and stick to it. Yes it will be challenging, but do-able.
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Trust me- easier said then done...
    BUT can you alternate with 1 drink, 1 water?
    Also eat a nice big healthy meal before you go, so you will be to full to graze.

Remember this is NOT a diet BUT a lifestyle.
    You can not avoid all social situations for the rest of your life.
    Plan ahead and have fun

Edited for spelling.
  • rosiesparkle100
    Options
    Go! Honestly, one day is not going to do all that harm, you can try and drink the occassional soft drink/vodka if you want to minimise damage, and this is supposed to be a lifestyle change, not the end of your life as you know it!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    GO! No one will even notice the bottle of water in your hand. It is like when I go out to eat with my friends. I do not make a big deal out of my choices just order normally like everyone else. Usually when my cedar plank salmon, steamed veggies and salad with vinegarette on the side comes, they wish they ordered it!!

And find out before hand how many calories crawling from pub to pub burns!! :laugh:
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    We know that starving yourself doesn't work! Why shouldn't that include starving yourself of other things you like such as beer! I'd go, but drink say, bottles instead of pints, therefore consuming less, if you can make a bottle last the same as a pint!!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    id go for it.
    Its not as if its all the time, and if youre good most of the time, youve got to be able to still have an occasional treat or off day or night out.
    It doesnt have to be all or nothing
  • gdotman
    gdotman Posts: 64
    Options
    I have always been told that when it doubt of anything then don't do it or get it. If you do go you might bring your own drinks (water, protien drink etc) and still have a good time it's just self discipline.