Green tea, 8 cups of water & peeing.

Options
(i apologise if this is TMI,i included peeing in my title so those who didnt want to read didnt have to)
Ok SO, i've read on threads etc before that people don't count anything but water when drinking the targetted 8 cups a day which is fine BUT what if you drink other things like green tea? i have about 3 cups a day on top of my water and have to pee constantly. I'm even up twice a night and i'm 21 and childless.....How do other people manage!? or do they include green tea?
I peed about an hour ago and am desperate to go now but my housemate is in the shower.
What does everyone else drink and how do they log it!?

Replies

• pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey

I drink mostly green / herbal teas as well as water which I count - i try not to included tea in the count as i take sugar in my tea...
    As for peeing alot (which i sometimes feel i do, but the more i think about it the worse it is haha), apparently our bodies will get used to it...

:-)
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink about 10 - 12 glasses of water a day, maybe 16oz of greet tea or diet tea and I use to pee alllll the time but now I can get away with maybe 2 times at work 1 or 2 between work and bed then 1 or 2 at night ..... much much better than when i started and could go almost every 30 or 40 minutes
  • emmascott
    emmascott Posts: 249
    Options
    Lol, same here im afraid!

Apparently, the longer you start drinking more, the better it gets at not going to the loo so much.

I don't count my green tea, but If I dont manage my 8 cups water I dont worry because Ive had my green and herbal teas. I think though, that you can count them as water as they are so good for you. Perhaps just not count water you've added squash to - even sugar free ones.

Good luck hun

xxx
  • ellen1980
    ellen1980 Posts: 23
    Options
    I drink 3-4 cups of green tea ON TOP of my 8 glasses of water per day. I don't count anything else as water but my water, and anything with caffeine (my green is not) I have an additional glass of water for (coffee/tea).

I pee alot for sure, usually up once throughout the night. I try to limit my water intake in the evening and not drink too much a few hours before I head to bed to prevent me from getting up too often.
  • purple_kathryn
    Options
    the 8 cups of water thing is a myth. You need to consume 8 cups of liquid a day but it doesn't necessarily have to be pure water. There's water in your green tea for example, milk in your cereal etc.

In saying that I do try and drink a lot of water on top of my tea and coffee so I have to nip to the loo at lot! Fortunately I don't have to go during the night.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I coult my calorie free stuff as water as long as it has no caffiiene. IF it has caffiene sometimes I count it as a half water. I do that because caffiene can act as a diuretic.
  • ronjaa
    ronjaa Posts: 65
    Options
    I include tea.. I drink it without sugar, honey.. maybe just a few drops of lemon, but nothing more.. And I drink tea a lot, so it woudn't make sense not to include it.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I drink about 8 liters of fluids a day (including green tea). I go to the bathroom every 2 to 2.5 hours to pee. Yes, this means at night too (probably twice per night). But, I use organic sea salts in my diet and need to drink lots of water to get rid of the extra salts that I don't need and also to flush out toxins and free radicals (so I don't get sick)!

Your body will get used to it... You'll get to know when to drink the water etc... I even plan bathroom breaks - and WHEREVER there's a bathroom I use it instead of waiting when I REALLY have to go.
  • kdrew11
    kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    When they talk about 'cups' of water, how much is this? Is it a pint?

Also, everyone seems to be drinking green tea which I have tried a couple of times but tastes a bit like someone's stubbed a *kitten* out in it. What are the benefits of drinking it?

I feel a bit like the more I wee it means I am losing weight through water. Does anyone find they tend to lose more weight when they wee more throughout the week or is this just in my head and purely coincidental?
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    a cup of water is 250ml. i like the green tea with pineapple and grapefruit flavours or the chai green tea. your body does get used to the extra water in take after a while you wont be running to the loo as much lol but it could be counted as extra exercise esp as i have to take the stairs to go when im at work :)
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Although green tea is "healthy" for you it still has caffiene in it which is a diuretic. Diuretics dehydrate you. I would only count your green tea in the log, not under your water count. Herbal tea, as long as you do not add anything to it, would be okay to count under your water consumption since it does not have caffiene in it.

To the girl that said 8 cups of just water is a myth..... 8 is just the recommended for WATER only. You should really get half your body weight in ounces of plain water. If you think about it somebody who weighs 100lbs isn't going to need as much as somebody who weighs 250 lbs. Water flushes out our systems of harmful toxins and hydrates our bodies and helps it to properly function. Anything else we dring has things added to it. Whether it be flavoring, sugar, or carbonation which does other things.

Your body will adjust to the amount of water you are drinking and the longer you continue the less frequently youll have to use the restroom.
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    OMG I am with you! I am only 5ft tall so I wonder where the heck I should put 8 glasses of water?? I manage about 5/6 a day and about 4 cups of green tea - this is decaf and I dont sweeten it. I log it under 'drinks' but dont worry if I havnt filled 8 glasses due to my green tea.

My status says I have logged in 55 days- I have not missed a day since I started - my body has NOT got used to it!! I easily pee every 40 mins! If I am not peeing, I am thinking about peeing. I get up twice in the night to have a noisey man sized pee too!! XD

It hasnt gotten easier LOL but I like to think with each pee its flushing out any sodium or sugar I may have. I just buy extra loo roll and hope my body will 'get used to it' soon!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

To the girl that said 8 cups of just water is a myth..... 8 is just the recommended for WATER only. You should really get half your body weight in ounces of plain water. If you think about it somebody who weighs 100lbs isn't going to need as much as somebody who weighs 250 lbs. Water flushes out our systems of harmful toxins and hydrates our bodies and helps it to properly function. Anything else we dring has things added to it. Whether it be flavoring, sugar, or carbonation which does other things.

interesting. Where did you get your information from may I ask? I recall that recently doctors have revised their 'water' statements to include even coffee and tea, because, well, it has fluid (water) in it. The presence of caffiene doesn't stop it being water.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20020711213420data_trunc_sys.shtml

We need to replace lost fluids to keep the kidneys healthy. We take in a certain amount of fluids in the foods we eat - consider animals, they don't need to sit and drink eight glasses of water a day, but they DO get reasonable amounts of water in their food. They may even only get to a river to drink once a day or so. As humans, we consume too much salt and carbonated drinks. Cut these out, and you'll find you need less water. Drinking too much puts strain on the kidneys.

here's a simple calculator to tell you how much water you need:

http://www.wateraid.org/uk/get_involved/drink_more_water/1415.asp

tip: - for those who find green tea bitter, cool your water to around 70 degrees - it gets burnt by boiling water and tastes bitter.
  • janski2
    janski2 Posts: 70
    Options
    Green tea has at the most 20 mg of caffeine. Coffee has 95 to 135 mg of caffeine. Take an ounce of liquid off of each 8 ounce glass of green tea that you drink for the caffeine. The anti-oxidants in the green tea are well worth it.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of info. Thanks guys!

I have done some work experience with a nutritionist before,we did a workshop with some elderly people and discussed drinking water. The nutritionist said that 8 cups a day was fine, tea was included but if you have more than 1 coffee it would be best to drink an extra glassof water.....he also said that fizzy drinks and fruit juice shouldn't be included as water because of sugar contents but a small amount of dilute juice was ok.

Everyone seems to have different views! I think i might stop counting my water intake religiously, i drink lots anyway because of a medical condition but this is tipping me over the edge!

Im so glad i'm not the only one who pees constantly! i find it partcilularly distressing because i live with two very unsavoury boys who think it's appropriate to leave a mess....! Ick.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options

interesting. Where did you get your information from may I ask?

from my college professors in exercise physiology and nutrition along with the numerous textbooks I read and studied in college.

Everyone has different views and no matter what "evidence or proof" is shown we are all going to believe what we believe.
    For me, it is not a problem to drink 96+ oz of water a day as that is the only thing I drink other than milk. Foreverlyn- do what works best for you. If you have concerns next time you are at the Dr... ask your physician. They will be able to offer you the best advice.
  • bellamia88
    bellamia88 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad someone brought it up I find each time I have a cup of green tea in the morning I constantly find myself meeting up with my toilet and adding water on top of it all I feel like a waterfall.
  • fitness244
    fitness244 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i feel like it is not working for me and i do not know what else to do