Back friendly exercises

tjsechrist
tjsechrist Posts: 62
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello everyone. Looking for a few suggestions here. I'm Terra. 29 years old and I have a herniated disc in my lower back. I've been suffering with the pain now for about 9 months. I've been working with my doctor and my chiropractor and we have noticed that when I am able to exercise a bit I feel so much better. Not only does my back feel better but I feel better about myself. I served for 8 years in the Army and was in the best shape of my life. Because of my back injury I can not workout like I used to. I'm just looking for some suggestions and a little motivation perhaps.

I'm on a 1400 calorie diet and I've been doing well with that so far. I've cut out all soda which is a big thing for me because I've always needed that 1 pepsi a day. I'm walking 3 miles 3 days a week. I have a sit down job. I'm an air medical dispatcher so I sit for 12 hours a day which doesnt help my back.

Are there any exercises out there that I could do that may help with my back and also help with my weight loss?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    It sounds as if your back doctor should send you to a physical therapist for a one time visit who can teach you heathy exercises to help strengthen your back. It would be very valuable.
  • PT was denied by my insurance company. They sent me straight for a neurosurgery consult. But I declined any treatment by neuro as my husband and I are trying for another baby at the time.

Im doing lots of stretching, walking and a little Zumba on the days when I feel good.

Congrats on your weight loss succes by the way! My goal is to lose 40lbs. Obviously getting pregnant again would put a hault on that goal. But who knows how long its going to take us so I figured I might as well start trying to lose weight now.
  • Hello everyone. Looking for a few suggestions here. I'm Terra. 29 years old and I have a herniated disc in my lower back. I've been suffering with the pain now for about 9 months. I've been working with my doctor and my chiropractor and we have noticed that when I am able to exercise a bit I feel so much better. Not only does my back feel better but I feel better about myself. I served for 8 years in the Army and was in the best shape of my life. Because of my back injury I can not workout like I used to. I'm just looking for some suggestions and a little motivation perhaps.

I'm on a 1400 calorie diet and I've been doing well with that so far. I've cut out all soda which is a big thing for me because I've always needed that 1 pepsi a day. I'm walking 3 miles 3 days a week. I have a sit down job. I'm an air medical dispatcher so I sit for 12 hours a day which doesnt help my back.

Are there any exercises out there that I could do that may help with my back and also help with my weight loss?

Swimming is a great overall exercise. Very low impact. You will feel leaner, longer, and stronger. While you are in the pool, you can use water weights, and do uppper body workout while you are floating in the water. I do this at least 3 times a week, in a heated swimming pool and it feels more like a vacation than a workout.
  • sorry, I am new to this message board thing, so i think I hit quote instead of reply on the previous post...
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Where is the herniation? Thoracic or lumbar and at what level? (disc) and is it an anterior or posterior herniation. I am a PTA , I can ask the PT at work if you should be doing flexion exercises or McKenzie extention exercises.
  • Hello there. Herniation is at L5 and its posterior.
  • Im new too. Hello!!! ;) Im still trying to figure things out. lol
  • Thank you!!
  • Did u know that u could apply for service connected for your lower back? If u have at least one proof that u had lower back pain in the military they will cover it for you. U are young and that might get worst when you grow older.
  • mtdang
    mtdang Posts: 35 Member
    Some people benefit from yoga but for some it may irritate it even more. If you can afford it, you may want to shop around and see if a one time visit to a physical therapist could give you some pointers and adapt your exercises.
This discussion has been closed.