Which is more important- staying in calorie range or what yo

Options
2»

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Not a veteran, still a work in progress. As others have said, maintaining a calorie deficit--regardless of what you eat--will result in weight loss. However, your body composition will be leaner (less fat covering your muscles) if you eat foods that are lower in fat and sugar. Your overall health will benefit if you eat foods that are well balanced in nutrients and with as few chemical additives as possible. But you do not have to have a healthy diet to lose weight.

Nicely summarised.

In short:

losing weight = calorie deficit.

losing weight + looking good wearing clothes = calorie deficit + good diet.

losing weight + looking good without clothes = calorie deficit + good diet + resistance / strength training.

People like to make this complicated. It isn't.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Nicely summarised.

In short:

losing weight = calorie deficit.

losing weight + looking good wearing clothes = calorie deficit + good diet.

losing weight + looking good without clothes = calorie deficit + good diet + resistance / strength training.

People like to make this complicated. It isn't.

HA! I love this! So true! Although I'd add + being healthy to the good diet ones...
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I struggle with portion control. That is why I do best when I don't even start to tempt myself with those foods! I havent reached that level of self control to have one piece of chocolate, or 1 serving of chips. I guess thats why weight weight management is a lifestyle change and not something that happens overnight! But it makes me feel better to know that if I can work those things in on days where I'm not feeling so great, it won't ruin my efforts completely.

Eat "forced" portion sizes, i.e. a lunch box size bag of chips, or baked vs fried versions of chips, fries, chicken, etc. and most of all, remember that you are human and if you have a bad day, just get back up, and hit reset tomorrow.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I struggle with portion control. That is why I do best when I don't even start to tempt myself with those foods! I havent reached that level of self control to have one piece of chocolate, or 1 serving of chips. I guess thats why weight weight management is a lifestyle change and not something that happens overnight! But it makes me feel better to know that if I can work those things in on days where I'm not feeling so great, it won't ruin my efforts completely.

Eat "forced" portion sizes, i.e. a lunch box size bag of chips, or baked vs fried versions of chips, fries, chicken, etc. and most of all, remember that you are human and if you have a bad day, just get back up, and hit reset tomorrow.

thanks!
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    All I know is if I go into complete denial of the things I love I am more likely to binge. Everything in moderation. I also love veggies so that helps.