salads; enter ing. one by one or just a mound of veggies?

Options
onawho
onawho Posts: 196 Member
I am a HUGE salad eater. I love a great salad. I like to mix up what I put in it. Everything from artichokes, corn, black olives, sunflower seeds and simple mushrooms. If it grew out of the ground I am putting it in a salad.

So my question to you is.....When you track your foods do you input each item like 1/4 cup of mushrooms, 1/2 cup of lettuce etc or just find a similar salad in the list salads that pop up and pick on of those.

Ps. I always add my dressing separate

Thanks!!

Replies

• BeckyRayJohnson
    Options
    I have been wondering this too. IT will be interesting to see what the others say. Thanks for asking it.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I alwas put things in individually...but, if we can do it as a lump salad or something, that would be awesome. It's a pain listing everything, as my salads can have up to like 15 ingredients! LOL
  • misty1208
    misty1208 Posts: 90
    Options
    I add mine in one by one. I like to see exatly how much it is. :)
  • raising2ells
    raising2ells Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Like Misty, I add things in one by one. Easier and I am more aware of what I am really adding in it.

Now what you could do, if its a salad you make regularly with the same ingredients, is make a "recipe" for it in you food diary. That way you always have it available to select. Just a suggestion!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really mater...veggies tend to have similar amounts of calories and are very few. A cup of veggies is around 25 calories, same with a cup of lettuce, etc.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I add up all the items in my salad - you would be surprised how much protein and carbs can add up with each meal - even in a salad. Veggies are carbs - if not burned up they will turn into fat.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i always put in each ingredient separately.. as i rarely ever have the same salad so nutritional values will change each time
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    i add mine individually b/c i am tracking calories, carbs and fiber. i also weigh mine in grams or ounces. i used to use measuring cups til i found out it wasn't as accurate...more of an eye opener. however, i think any salad topped with fresh veggies is gonna be way healthy no matter what. i almost always have 3/4 veggies and 1/4 salad ( romaine or spinach). i love salads!
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I've created a recipe too, but I think you can also create a "meal" for that as well. I even include my salad dressing....so one click and it's added.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Now what you could do, if its a salad you make regularly with the same ingredients, is make a "recipe" for it in you food diary. That way you always have it available to select. Just a suggestion!

great idea!
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    I enter it in one by one. But if it's something that I usually eat I'll remember my meal that way I can just go in and add it (and if I have something different than usual I can add it in).
  • socialite51
    Options
    I'm very insterested in this also. I too am a salad eater and I was wondering how to weight my meals. I also am curious how to deteremine how much protein is in a fresh versus frozen. There is a response to your post regarding this and I think I will ask that person to share how they determine the protein, calories, and carbs. Great question by the way..:bigsmile:
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I enter individual components. These are entered in your meal database. That way, if I'm out of celery, or if I want extra tomato, I can 'build' the salad electronically to mirror what I actually ate.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've created a recipe too, but I think you can also create a "meal" for that as well. I even include my salad dressing....so one click and it's added.

Yes that works well too. Great catch :happy:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever made the same exact salad twice, so I always add each item individually.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!! I am still fairly new to this site and have not worked out all the cool little features yet. I am going to work on recipes.!!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    LOL..this is a great post...I'm a salad eater too...and I post mine ingredient by ingredient..that way I can go back and see how many servings of fruits and/or veggies I have eaten in a day...I usually just add mine from the recent column...that makes it a little easier...