Metabolic Resistance Training

Options
I am just starting to research this type of training. It sort of sounds like circuit training taken to the next level. I discovered it while reads a pdf on losing the last stubborn fat written by John Romaniello, and it intrigued me, as the best thing I had found up to that point was HIIT or Tabata training (another form of interval training).

Here are some links to some stuff on it:

http://lifelongfitness.net/metabolic-resistance-training-what-is-it/

http://www.articlesbase.com/fitness-articles/metabolic-resistance-training-how-to-achieve-maximum-results-1816953.html

Here is an example workout that someone posted:

Metabolic resistance training is essentially cardio with weight, either bodyweight or dumbbells, kettlebells, or barbells. No useless slow workouts on the treadmill!

For example, you might try these circuits:

1. Push press with 2 kettlebells or dumbbells followed by a forward lunge. Rest as little as possible and complete for 10 minutes.

2. Burpees – as many as you can do in 10 minutes resting as little as possible. There are several different progressions of burpees you can do so make sure you are using the most difficult version you can handle.

3. Squat to overhead press followed by renegade rows: Try 5 squats and overhead presses followed by 5 renegade rows. Continue in this manner, resting as little as possible, for 10 minutes.

(Found at http://workoutsforhome.com/2010/02/05/metabolic-resistance-training-an-important-part-of-your-fat-burning-workouts/ )

I have some others as well, and it looks like a very useful tool for losing fat, especially with the long period of time it raises your metabolism.

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    good stuff riley I bookmarked it to read up on.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Check in to Crossfit as well. I think you'd be interested.

www.crossfit.com
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    That was one of the sites that came up as I was searching for more information. I am still in research mode, although technically based on what I read, I am sort of doing MRT already. I do want to come to a good understanding of it so I can design my own routines.
  • wrn1979
    wrn1979 Posts: 27
    Options
    Ditch crossfit and try anything by Robert Dos Remedios. coachdos.com is a great site and well-worth what I pay for it. His two books, Men's Health Power Training (you probably won't be interested in this) and Cardio Strength Training (the Bible of metabolic resistance training) are outstanding reads as well.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    careful to discount crossfit. its still very awesome also. :wink:

*not biased at all, hahha
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Ditch crossfit and try anything by Robert Dos Remedios. coachdos.com is a great site and well-worth what I pay for it. His two books, Men's Health Power Training (you probably won't be interested in this) and Cardio Strength Training (the Bible of metabolic resistance training) are outstanding reads as well.

I will have to put that in my to read list.
  • rileysowner
    Options
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    definitely want to check this out!
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info... just what I was looking for!!! :flowerforyou:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    On my phone which makes it difficult to research links...but I'm bumping it for tomorrow.

In the meantime, what makes this better than tabata? I see you go longer...but the idea behind tabata, I believe...is to keep you at max effort (work done) the entire time?

Hmm...
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Tabata is a type of MRT. I would not say it is better or worse, just different. The advantage of Tabata is a quick workout that is metabolically challenging. The advantage of other MRT workouts is that they will burn more calories during the workout while still causing a lot of metabolic disturbance. I do both depending on the time I have available.
  • missmomma77
    missmomma77 Posts: 42
    Options
    Bump