what's your Gym routine?

mikehextall
mikehextall Posts: 14
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
my partner is planning to go to her gym 3 times a week and would like to know what you recommend as a good work out, if she goes for an hour each time, she is about 250 lbs so ideally wants to loose some weight before she begins any serious toning but I will bow to your knowledge if you feel she's needs toning aswell. Any suggestions are welcome and to hear what routines work best for you would be great.

Replies

• amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Not sure what you mean by "toning" -- because seeing muscle tone really comes from a combination of fat loss and increased muscle mass from what I understand. Cardio is great for blasting calories but the more muscle mass you have the better your metabolism functions... which means she'll burn more calories all day. I mostly read that a combo of strength training and cardio is a good fit for all, even beginners. :) Just keep mixing it up to eliminate boredom as well as to keep the body challenged. Good luck!

If she only has 3 days to get to a gym I might focus on using that time for whatever she can't do on her own as easily - like using weights. If she's able to walk outside at other times that would round everything out.
  • wildmamatiger
    wildmamatiger Posts: 37 Member
    About me: I began my journey a year ago at 228 lbs. I lost 22 on WW, took a break, and then decided to join MFP when I got back on the wagon.

I am one of those people that makes a yucky face when I hear the word exercise, so I need my workout to be fun.

Answer: There are many fun options these days for exercise. I have found that I do best with Zumba or other dancing activities. There are even all female gyms that specialize in classes like Zumba, pole dancing, etc.

If she prefers a standard gym I'd try the treadmill with headphones (upbeat, empowering songs).

Honestly, I get the most out of playing Dance, Dance Revolution or Dance Central.
    I like to burn calories while I think I am having fun!!!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Are there classes in the gym? I love my group fitness classes - they provide a variety of workouts with a knowldgeable instructor and the ones I attend are multi-level.

If I am just in the "gym" I usually walk/run on treadmill or use elliptical machine. Sometimes I go on weight machines but find them boring and confusing. I prefer to do my weight training in class. I am considering meeting with a trainer though which is something your gf might want to look into!
  • personally I rather work out alone, I've tried going with partner, but I'd rather go at my own pace, & leave as soon as im done.
    I've been going 5 weeks now, and i go 5 days a week, I do 15 minutes on the bike & I have a circuit of machines I do (13) that take me 25-35 minutes to do
    about 9 days ago I started 30 day shred & I do that everyday. Tomorrow is my first "weigh in day" where I've done "shred" for a full week. I peeked at my weight yesterday, and I wont count it till I do my real weigh in tomorrow but if the "peek" was right I'm looking at a 3lb weight loss this week!!! I think the "shred" may have something to do with it!
  • partcho
    partcho Posts: 225
    bump
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Get her to do something, she enjoys doing, at the gym

there is no point doing anything you dont enjoy there, as you wont have the motivation to go back and keep doing it.
  • My routine tends to go :
    *25 minutes elliptical
    *5 minutes row
    *15 minute cycle
    *5 minutes row
    *10 minutes stair climber
    *2 minutes elliptical to cool down

Then I do strengthening/toning/stretching after that
    x
  • My typical hour long workout is...
    5 minutes stretching
    40 minutes cardio
    10 minutes strength training/weight lifting
    5 minutes stretching

(My cardio workouts are usually done on elliptical or treadmill, if she cant run for very long or wants to focus on fat loss, I suggest her to try interval training...Walking for 3 minutes, running for 2.)

I wish her luck!
This discussion has been closed.