2»

Replies

• livebigonless
    Options
    bump to my topics
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    When you say "cardio 3x wk" and "PT 2x wk" what does that mean in real terms?

What do you do for cardio and at what heart rate / intensity?
    Does you PT have you strength training?

If you pay your PT, why don't you discuss your lack of progress with him?

ps get cooking properly. Those packaged foods are ful of sodium and quite frankly rubbish!
  • co1980
    co1980 Posts: 4
    Options
    Someone may have asked this already and I missed it, but has your trainer taken any body fat measurements?

I had a trainer a few years ago and I was on a 1400 calorie diet with a vitamin supplement, I didn't have much weight loss but I lost inches like crazy! my tummy had never been so little! I had dropped % body fat and significantly gained lean muscle.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    A girl started a thread just a couple of days ago, saying she'd had a PT and was following a programme (cardio only), and she had lost some weight... but when he took her body composition after a month or so all her weight lost was from lean mass (muscle loss) and BF% was actually up.

I'd sack my PT if that happened. LOL
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing a difference in your clothes/measurements? Also, you may not be eating enough calories if you're working out 3 week cardio. How about water intake? Water helps food move through your body and be processed accordingly, if you're not getting enough, that could be part of it.
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    True
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Someone may have asked this already and I missed it, but has your trainer taken any body fat measurements?

I had a trainer a few years ago and I was on a 1400 calorie diet with a vitamin supplement, I didn't have much weight loss but I lost inches like crazy! my tummy had never been so little! I had dropped % body fat and significantly gained lean muscle.

Agreeing with you co1980..I just hired a Pt and although he was ok with my 1410 caloric intake...he wanted me to decrease the fat calorie intake to 20 %..which MFP gives us 30%..and he said we were focusing more on losss of body % fat and gain of lean muscle mass...so he begged of me to not be so worried about the numbers on the scale...although thats hard...and I am strength training with him and doing cardio and minimal strength training on my days not with him...I was working out for 2 months before i hired him because I knew it was a time for some structure...but on my own I had lost 12 pounds and some inches...but I was eating back my cals also!!!
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ladyhawk99 for those links. I was confused about eating exercise calories, now it all makes sense. Thanks again for sharing.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    And, FYI, about building muscle, you can't do it on 1200 calories a day. It just won't happen in any significant or measurable amount at a caloric deficit. While it may happen over time, the results are negligible. Way too often when the scale doesn't move, people blame "muscle gain" and that is just not the case. It is much more likely diet related.

THANK YOU! Everytime someone posts "You've probably gained muscle" or "I'm gaining muscle....I eat 1200 cals per day" I want to respond but can never word it properly.
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    great advice here girls. also feel free to add me as a friend for my daily "food for thought" and motivational messages... Cheers, Colleen
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i have to agree with @backinthenines on this one. increase your intake of green veggies, lean protein and things like nuts, legumes. greek yogurt is high in protein, steamed broccoli is tasty and red, orange and yellow bell peppers are actually very sweet tasting. add some kale to a morning smoothie with berries, flax seed and yogurt. although protein shakes work well go for things that aren't processed.

when you eat clean your metabolism fires on all cylinders. if you are pressed for time (kashi lunch, etc.) here's an easy lunch fix. white tuna (packed in no salt added) on brown rice cake with a green salad. protein and complex carbs. or make your own chicken curry salad. bake, grill or poach chicken, chop up with celery and a few capers. add curry and mustard (or a low fat mayo if you have to - i like vegenaise).

i have found that i plateau (currently) when i don't eat my exercise calories, and go for packaged food. they're full of junk.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ladyhawk99 for those links. I was confused about eating exercise calories, now it all makes sense. Thanks again for sharing.

Quite welcome :wink:
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    Bump up your calorie intake on the days your are working out- honestly!

THIS! I am using WW as well as MFP and it turned out I wasn't eating enough so my body was going in to starvation mode. As soon as I started to eat just a little more I dropped a lb. I stalled out for 3 weeks and hadn't lost a lb. I'm almost down 2 lbs now.
  • DianaK78
    DianaK78 Posts: 55
    Options
    Update!

First of all...THANK YOU ALL! for the advise and the tips :smile:

I increased my calorie intake (especially on workout days), changed my eating (no more Lean Cuisine) and I'm making sure I drink a lot more water. Weighed myself this morning and I lost 1.1 lbs this week! finally!!! I was stuck for 3 weeks so I am very happy about it. I feel even more motivated to make better food choices and workout every day.

Thanks again and good luck to you all!