Do empty calories do any harm?

Options
Hey guys,
it's 6:35 pm here and I wasn't feeling good for most of the day so I have 992 calories to squish into one meal if I want to hit my calorie goal.
My (very stupid) question is, can I just eat it all in mac and cheese or will that do damage and why?
If it's going to harm, what's something else I can have that'll amount to 992 calories.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    No long-term harm.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do this accidently some days, I haven't noticed any negative side effects (like not loosing any weight), but I don't know about the "Scientific-healthyside" of it. But I love it when I end up with a whole bunch of calories for supper! Then I can enjoy something like mac & cheese. :)
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do this accidently some days, I haven't noticed any negative side effects (like not loosing any weight), but I don't know about the "Scientific-healthyside" of it. But I love it when I end up with a whole bunch of calories for supper! Then I can enjoy something like mac & cheese. :)

Agreed!
  • kayelkay
    kayelkay Posts: 40
    Options
    I'd say it's fine as long as you stick to a reasonable portion size
  • Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I had 1211 calories left for dinner tonight...
    I had 4 oz sausage, 6 oz white rice w 2 tbl salsa, broccoli mixed with prince edward veggy medley and I still have 601 calories left. I'm full and I enjoyed my meal. Not the healthiest, but it was good!!!
    Enjoy your mac n cheese!!!
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try to force it. Just eat what you can and be done for the day.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,341 Member
    Options
    There are far healthier things you could eat even if they don't "add up" to 992! It would be a far bigger 'sin' to eat Mac & Cheese just to make your cals than it would be to eat something healthier with a side of veggies or something...
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    you're allowed to treat yourself to a treat. ;) its not like an everyday thing, so enjoy it.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'd say other than the sodium it would be okay, no long term harm.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    if you want the mac n cheese, then enjoy it. if you're just trying to make up the calories, just have something else that you want. It won't matter for one day if you're under. Especially if you've been unwell you've probably had a slower day, too.

I'd munch down some nuts and have a big glass of chocolate milk, or maybe some grilled cheese on toast.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    How about browning some ground beef and stirring that in with the mac & cheese, with maybe some chopped tomatoes or red peppers? Make it into a meal! :D