2500 calories is dieting?? Seriously??

13»

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    I'm a teacher, so started at lightly active, but was losing too quickly (should have been 1lb but was over 2lb!) so went up to active. Now I'm maintaining as active and logging walking or other stuff that I might not do every day. No gain yet, so must be doing something right :laugh:

We are all different so SHOULD all use mfp subjectively, with our bodies providing feedback.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    My 22yr old son lugs boxes around all day long and was losing weight eating 2500 calories a day (6'4", 155 lbs). He was too skinny and we created a diet plan to help him gain weight at 3300 calories a day. It's working.

So, yes...2500 calories can easily be a deficit for some people.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    My BMR is 1,660'ish and my daily needs go from 2,600 to 3,800 depending on what I am doing.
    I loose energy big time, and get headaches if I short myself.

I believe that fast weight loss for extended periods of time are dangerous. I know it is hard to accept 1 or 2 pounds a week when the Biggest Looser contestants drop 10 or more...

Just to be clear, when I say fast weight loss I mean under eating and exercising. Your body gotsa have food.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Thats a really good point! Thanks.

Also, terrific username!

We are all different so SHOULD all use mfp subjectively, with our bodies providing feedback.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Remember all calories are not equal. To consume those many calories and lose weight you must eat healthy. Watch your sodium intake as well.

Actually it's been proven that calories are equal. Check out the twinkie diet which was done by a Professor of Nutrition at a well respected Uni. He ate what everyone would consider "bad foods" and made sure to eat twinkies 3x per day and lost tons of weight, lowered his LDL and heart issues.....so though it's probably "better" to eat "clean" as everyone says (from Tosca whatshername) eating "dirty" works just as well. :)

Here's the link to the Twinkie Diet
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

It really IS just about cal counting like we're doing here. :)

I wouldn't base my nutritional plan on one study done on one person.

Macronutrient splits definitely play a big role in body recomposition.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Remember all calories are not equal. To consume those many calories and lose weight you must eat healthy. Watch your sodium intake as well.

Actually it's been proven that calories are equal. Check out the twinkie diet which was done by a Professor of Nutrition at a well respected Uni. He ate what everyone would consider "bad foods" and made sure to eat twinkies 3x per day and lost tons of weight, lowered his LDL and heart issues.....so though it's probably "better" to eat "clean" as everyone says (from Tosca whatshername) eating "dirty" works just as well. :)

Here's the link to the Twinkie Diet
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

It really IS just about cal counting like we're doing here. :)

I wouldn't base my nutritional plan on one study done on one person.

Macronutrient splits definitely play a big role in body recomposition.

FYI, I don't eat that way, and that is not "just one study" all the research points to it. It really is about cal counting, that's how you lose weight, every research points to it. You can literally eat junk and achieve the same gains. I don't but the studies are out there and proven by every researcher.

Here's one from HARVARD
    http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2009/3/4/study-justifies-calorie-counting-for-people/

Calorie counting IS THE WAY to weight loss and health.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    Calories play a small role if all you want to do is lose weight. Most of us on here are also looking to get healthy - for that, the body needs certain levels of certain nutrients and you sure don't get that from a bag of chips or a chocolate bar as much as you would from balanced meals.
  • janesmith1
    Calories play a small role if all you want to do is lose weight. Most of us on here are also looking to get healthy - for that, the body needs certain levels of certain nutrients and you sure don't get that from a bag of chips or a chocolate bar as much as you would from balanced meals.

Actually they play the most important role. I've lost 15 lbs, I'm cal counting. I've eating chips, choccy, etc. So really, why not peruse the studies I've linked. It is really all about calories.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    A good rule of thumb is to set your activity levels at lightly active or sedentary and add exercise to this amount to get a more accurate estimate if you are trying to lose weight. Don't bother entering your daily living activities and only enter dedicated exercise such as cardiovascular activities or weight training. Best of luck.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2009/3/4/study-justifies-calorie-counting-for-people/

First sentence:
    "For people looking to lose weight"

Losing weight is simply rules of thermodynamics. However, macronutrients play a large role in losing FAT.

I lost 28kg/61lbs (95-67kg) in 8 months just cal counting (with boxing and running as primary exercise) so I'm not disagreeing with you on that front. What I'm saying is that I definitely lost a LOT of muscle mass/strength in that period also. Because of this, when I started to eat more, I was putting on fat easily. After incorporating resistance training and paying more attention to macronutrient splits, I have been able to put on muscle mass with minimal fat increase (therefore increasing BMR and making it easier to maintain weight).

This is slightly off topic now :P
  • JcRenee
    JcRenee Posts: 6
    you don't have to eat the calories that you burn in the workouts, i usually don't, i eat around 1200-1300 calories a day and thats plenty for me!
  • kmac420
    kmac420 Posts: 24
    I don't track my normal daily activity. If my workout is going above and beyond the walking, stairs, etc. that I do on a daily basis, then I track it and follow the net calorie guide.
  • that is correct too many uneducated uninformed people on this site unfortantely. I joined to support my twin cuz and myself but finding out I have why more knowledge and education on the subject and my need to limit my blogging. I've spent $1000's in training and testing but I am probably way to invested.

Good luck too all :)
  • janesmith1

First sentence:

Losing weight is simply rules of thermodynamics. However, macronutrients play a large role in losing FAT.

I lost 28kg/61lbs (95-67kg) in 8 months just cal counting (with boxing and running as primary exercise) so I'm not disagreeing with you on that front. What I'm saying is that I definitely lost a LOT of muscle mass/strength in that period also. Because of this, when I started to eat more, I was putting on fat easily. After incorporating resistance training and paying more attention to macronutrient splits, I have been able to put on muscle mass with minimal fat increase (therefore increasing BMR and making it easier to maintain weight).

Hi @ChrisDavy - ty for your info and I really appreciate knowing that......so far for ME, less cals = WEIGHT LOSS as all the studies say but I certainly WILL LOOK INTO all that stuff you wrote about! I appreciate knowing that!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member

First sentence:

Not entirely, we want to loose fat, not gain fat, and maintain fitness. Even if we are only trying to loose weight. And not yo-yo dieting is the main point for those looking for a lifestyle change. Now that I'm more fit, and close to goal, I notice that even if under calories it definately does make a difference what it is I am eating, not just calories in calories out.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    I mean not entirely off topic
This discussion has been closed.